Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK33 Best Satellite Expansion Options

gianniboynj
Aspirant

RBK33 Best Satellite Expansion Options

Hi All,

I purchased an Orbi RBK33 Kit (1RBR40 + 2 RBW30) and want to expand.  Current coverage is spotty in some far reaches of my house.  I'd like to just play it safe and saturate signal as much as possible.  With that said, I would like to add atleast 2 satellites.  However, the satellites seem more expensive than the orginal RBK33 kit.  I am trying to be frugal.  What is the best option to expand?  Should I buy individual satellites?  Can I buy RBK22 (currently $199 at Costco) and use both the router and satellite in that kit as satellites?

As an FYI - I actually have 2 older netgear wifi range extenders (WN2500RP and an EX6200) but I assume that will not give me seemless coverage of my network (please correct me if I am wrong).  

Thanks!!!!

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK33 Best Satellite Expansion Options

How big is your home Sq Ft?

Distances between router and satellites? Feet?

I have a 40 series router and 1 RBS20 satellite in a 5000sqft home. 40 feet in between them at opposite ends of the house. Great coverage and performances.

Message 2 of 4
gianniboynj
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38,

My home is also 5K Sq Ft as far as living space, but my home is approx 100ft wide and 45 ft deep over 3 floors (open center hall from front to back of home) .  Issue is the router is in a basement corner, 1st satellite is on the ground floor, in the center of the house and the 2nd satellite is almost directly above the 1st satellite on the 2nd floor.  I want to boost coverage on the far opposite end (from where the router is) of my house.  I currentely get coverage, but signal is definitely weaker along that opposite wall.  

I have 100MB FIOS service coming into my house as well.  Forgot to mention 🙂 

Thanks for your help.  

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance you can get the main router out of the basement corner? It's not a good place for main host wifi to be in a basement corner.

Any chance of there being in wall LAN cabling connections? Would be good if you could connect satellites up via wired back haul.

Distances to start should be 30 feet in between the satellite and main router.

You could try Daisy Chaining as well with two or more satellites. This will have the satellites piggy back of each other...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7