Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK40 (RBR40 & RBS40) - disable wifi broadcast on satellite?

Bob-Loblaw
Follower

RBK40 (RBR40 & RBS40) - disable wifi broadcast on satellite?

Hi all-

I have an RBK40, which is the RBR40 router, and RBS40 satellite.

We just moved and I no longer have a need for the increased range the satellite offers. But I am using the satellite because I have my desktop PC connected to it via Ethernet.

My question is, how can I prevent the satellite from broadcasting wifi, while still allowing the Ethernet port on it to work? Basically i want my hardwired desktop to be the only device that is connected to the satellite

I have found that in my current setup, sometimes devices are connecting to the satellite instead of the router, which is reducing speeds. The router and satellite are only ~12 ft apart.

thanks in advance

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK40 (RBR40 & RBS40) - disable wifi broadcast on satellite?

@Bob-Loblaw wrote:

My question is, how can I prevent the satellite from broadcasting wifi, while still allowing the Ethernet port on it to work? Basically i want my hardwired desktop to be the only device that is connected to the satellite

Netgear does not provide a method to "turn off a radio".  The entire point of  the product is WiFi.  There may be a "hack" using telnet to disable satellite radios.  I have no personal knowledge of how to do it, or whether the hack survives a restart, after a power outage for example.

12 ft. is considered "too close" for a satellite.  You might want to reduce the transmit power level on the Orbi system.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK40 (RBR40 & RBS40) - disable wifi broadcast on satellite?

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

@Bob-Loblaw wrote:

Hi all-

I have an RBK40, which is the RBR40 router, and RBS40 satellite.

We just moved and I no longer have a need for the increased range the satellite offers. But I am using the satellite because I have my desktop PC connected to it via Ethernet.

I have found that in my current setup, sometimes devices are connecting to the satellite instead of the router, which is reducing speeds. The router and satellite are only ~12 ft apart.

thanks in advance

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7