Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK40 Satellite RBS40 Flashing White then after 25s rapidly other colors and back to Flashing White

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RBK40 Satellite RBS40 Flashing White then after 25s rapidly other colors and back to Flashing White

Potentially related: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-RBS50-Pulsing-White-Forever/td-p/1438222

I just set up my RBK40 for the first time. Updated firmware to V2.1.2.18 on the router and satellite. Everything was working ok at this point.

I saw an option to "resync backhaul" or something to that effect to regenerate the encryption between the router and the satellite. I thought I might need to do this to get it out of an unsafe factory default setting (why else does this option exist?) and clicked the button.

After that I noticed that the satellite had disappeared from my available accesspoints.

The satellite was Flashing White, then after 25 seconds Green -> Amber -> Amber, back to Flashing White. Rinse and repeat. A couple of times I noticed it seemed to flash Magenta -> Amber -> Green after Flashing White the first time I started it up.

The warning before regenerating the backhaul connection notified that I might need to manually resync the device and I attempted to do that by putting the router into the pulsing white sync mode and then pushing sync on the satellite. Nothing happened.

I attempted to manually add a satellite from the router web interface (while in sync mode and while not in sync mode). Nothing happened.

I power cycled the satellite. Still stuck in the flashing white then other colors mode. Then I tried to sync them again at this point. Nothing happened.

I then decided it was time to factory reset it by holding a paper clip on the reset button for 10 or 20 seconds until the satellite power light begin flashing red (The satellite also flashed green once after flashing red. I figure that is a signal that means it was "reset." Every help document says this is an amber light, but I only see red and green on this satellite.). Still stuck in flashing white and multicolor mode. Tried to sync them again. Nothing happened.

Now I figured that I should reset the router as well as the satellite. I still could not sync the two after going through the first time set up again.

I read that the router and satellite should support ethernet back haul and thought that if I connected them through a cable I might get them sycned. Didn't work. Tried factory resetting both. Didn't work.

Now I was concerned. I started researching various forums (including this one). I saw that some other people had reported the "always booting flashing white stage" on some satellites, but no one had mentioned the other flashing colors.

I read that I could potentially access the satellite through a web interface like the router if I plugged the ethernet cable into a desktop directly. The device wasn't being detected by the machine as being connected. Sometimes the desktop would see it for a second, but could never complete the set up.

I came across https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-RBS50-Pulsing-White-Forever/td-p/1438222 where someone pointed to https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP to reflash the firmware as a potential fix.

I wanted to call Netgear support, but I couldn't unless I registered the product. It doesn't seem like they want to chat or talk to me unless I do this, but I don't want to register this product with my email address, name, and a copy of my receipt when it appears to be bricked at this point. So instead of getting professional advice...

I followed all the reflashing directions and set up a static ip from the desktop to the satellite. I was able to ping the satellite in this mode. Good news finally? Then I attempted to flash the lastest firwmare and half way through it stopped and begin erasing the firmware. The process failed with "Unable to get responses from the server."

I assumed I was doomed at this point. I tried to reflash some of the older firmware (v1.8.0.4 and v2.1.1.16 and back to the latest firmware v2.1.2.18). No dice.

So I sit here a few hundred dollars spent with a dead satellite. The router still works pretty well. Better than my last at least.

I would RMA this (assuming the process exists), but I assume I have to register the dead product. I think I will instead return it to Amazon as their return process would be less of a hassle.

I was looking forward to this device as it solved my use case pretty well (and did for about 10 minutes), but any piece of hardware I can't factory reset back to a good state has shaken my confidence.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RBK40 Satellite RBS40 Flashing White then after 25s rapidly other colors and back to Flashing Wh

After further troubleshooting I decided I will return the product.

There are only so many variations of possible steps to try on the router and satellite.

1. Power Cycling

2. Unplugging from the wall

3. Pressing the Reset button

4. Connecting the two devices with Ethernet

5. Factory Reset

6. Pressing the Sync buttons

7. Flashing old and new firmware

To quote the other thread, "Good luck to everyone stuck in the eternal booting state."

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RBK40 Satellite RBS40 Flashing White then after 25s rapidly other colors and back to Flashing Wh

After further troubleshooting I decided I will return the product.

There are only so many variations of possible steps to try on the router and satellite.

1. Power Cycling

2. Unplugging from the wall

3. Pressing the Reset button

4. Connecting the two devices with Ethernet

5. Factory Reset

6. Pressing the Sync buttons

7. Flashing old and new firmware

To quote the other thread, "Good luck to everyone stuck in the eternal booting state."

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7