Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK44 System Unstable

daveburgandy
Tutor

RBK44 System Unstable

60% of the time it works everytime!  With each firmware update I feel like Netgear is getting further and further away from stability.  I am so frustrated by this system that I don't know what to do at this point.  If it were not for the fact that I have spent $400 including an extra stellite (RBS50) I would trash it and start over.  I just manually updated to the beta firmware version 2.1.3.6 in hopes of finding stability.  2 hours into it and I can't tell you how many times I have rebooted the router and statellites.  My family is ready to execute me in my sleep.  Pleassssse Netgear! Fix the stability issues.

Model: RBK44| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK44 System Unstable

What problems are you experiencing that you have to reboot the router?

Did you factory reset the router and satellite after updating FW then set up from scratch?

My 40 series is stable on v2.1.3 FW.

How big is your home SqFt?

What is the distance between the router and satellite?

What channels are you using?

Message 2 of 10
daveburgandy
Tutor

Thank you for your reply.  I have not performed a factory reset of the router and salellites.  I will try that today and see if that helps.

My home is about 6,000 sqFt and three levels and very wide on the upstairs level.  I have a satelite in the basement, the router and a satellite on the main floor and two satellites upstairs.  When working properly all satelllites are connected to the router with "Good" 5G connection.  I am using the channels the system provided by default - 5G channels for the satellites are 36, 40, 44, and 48.  The 2.4G channel set-up is "Auto (10).

Distance from the router to each satellite varies but I would estimate that it ranges from 20 Feet to 50 Feet (I believe with the router and 4 satellites covering 6,000 SqFt the coverage should be excellent).  When the system is working I get excellent speeds of 390 MBps to almost 600 MBps on wireless.  Faster sometimes if I plus into a satellite.  The problem is that the systems drops satellites and drops internet connection.  Sometimes it re establishes connection on its own and sometimes I need to reboot.  Sometimes one device is connected while another device is not.  The Comcast modem (GB service) has been very reliable.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Bigger than my 5000sqft house with 1 router and 1 satellite.

Yes, please reset the router and ALL satellites and set up from scratch if you have upgraded to v2.1.3.x FW.

I would try this, remove the one satellite thats closest to the router. 20ft is too close to the router. The router has it own range as well and can give coverage on it's down. Satellites should be at least 40 feet to 60 feet in distance from the router depending upon building materials.

Since you have 4 sats running. You might try using only two with the router and see how things go.

Also use a manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. Any unused channels on 5Ghz that your nieghbors might not be using.

What is the Mfr and model of the ISP modem?

You can try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming to test as well after the reset. I have Beamforming enabled on mine and is working well for me.

Message 4 of 10
daveburgandy
Tutor

Thanks again!  I have completely reset and reinstalled my network after the firmware update.  I have turned off daisy chaining (shouldn't need it based upon the location of the Satellites) and enabled beamforming.  I hope this does the trick.

Best,

Dave

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes.

Message 6 of 10
daveburgandy
Tutor

Everything was working great for 72 hours and in the last 48 it has been nothing but trouble again with lots of reboots.  Tonight all connected devices were working just fine except for my MBP 15 suddenly lost connection and I could not regain it.  I then realized that this device was plugged directly into one of the satellites.  I renewd the lease on my computer and it fired right up.  It is a faster connection speed when I wire into the satellite so I hate to give up on that option.  Any ideas?

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats rebooting? The router or satellite?

What channels are you using? Try manual 1,6 or 11 on 2.4ghz and 48 on 5Ghz.

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast roaming.

Might set 40Mhz channel width only.

Message 8 of 10
daveburgandy
Tutor

I generally power off/on the router.  Tonight I did not need to do that because everything was fine except the one laptop that I renewed the lease on and it was then fine

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

May have have been a lag in change in IP addresses going form wired to wireless.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7