Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 Firmware Version 2.5.2.4?

JP7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Installed 2.5.2.4 and about 10% of my devices no longer appeared in the connected devices list. I did several reboots but not all devices would show up. I reverted back to 2.5.1.16 and all devices are now showing up again in list.
Message 101 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you first power OFF the RBR/RBS for 1 minute then back on to check to see if devices appeared? This is a first step to try after a FW update. 

@JP7 wrote:
Installed 2.5.2.4 and about 10% of my devices no longer appeared in the connected devices list. I did several reboots but not all devices would show up. I reverted back to 2.5.1.16 and all devices are now showing up again in list.

Message 102 of 118
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

Doesn't fix it - this is clearly a software defect.

Message 103 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 104 of 118
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

Looks like .70 is pretty bad too.  What's going on with QA?

Message 105 of 118
Andre71
Aspirant

About a week on release 2.5.2.4.

I noticed these issues:

- Several devices are missing from the list of attached devices (but are connected);

- No log entries in the log anymore, although all options are selected.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 106 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

You can downgrade to v16 as that seem to be the best version currently:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

@Andre71 wrote:

About a week on release 2.5.2.4.

I noticed these issues:

- Several devices are missing from the list of attached devices (but are connected);

- No log entries in the log anymore, although all options are selected.

Message 107 of 118
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

Yup, the device-missing bug looks like it's still in .70 too.

I just cancelled my order for a new wifi6 system.  If they can't get a years-old system stable, I doubt they can get the new one there anytime soon.

Message 108 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AX is working for me and others...

Message 109 of 118
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

Oh I'm sure, but for how long? 😉

Seriously, I'm just frustrated right now - firmware quality has been a problem for years, and nothings really changed.  Bonjour connectivity continues to be a problem (though to be fair, not sure if that's orbi or apple).  Orib has hands-down best performance and coverage, so I put up with it, but it's frustrating - like a really nice car that keeps breaking down.

Message 110 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

I totally understand the frustrations. Some of us have been helping out here in the forums for a while now. So we have seen all the experiences and feedback when new FW comes out. Some of us have found solutions and work around to help users get thru the tough times. There are reasons why we ask questions and do have use factory resets. For me and others, it's been experienced that this helps resolve issues seen, before and after FW updates. Seen alot of odd ball problems that seem to stem from using Orbi app updates and when NG pushes FW thru auto update. Works one day then next day we see people posting and talking about problems seen after wards. 

Why from personal experiences with Orbi, manual FW updates and factory resets afterwards and setup from scratch has show me over the years, has proven to help keep these things up an running and running pretty well. 

Aside the UI issues which have plagued NG since Orbi first came out I believe which is another ball of wax. 

I have loaded both v4 and v70 and even after reset, they seem ok. However thre is one bug that will impact maybe only a few users. Seems that if you have an RBS thats ethernet connected to the RBR with two or more daisy chaing switches in between, these FW cause an ARP storm on the network when the RBS is connected to the last switch. I have this configuration in my home and had it for a while now. This ARP storm doesn't happen on v16 FW which I had to revert back to. So NG has done something with v4 and v70 that effects some RBS and switch configurations. I presume since seeing more posts here about v4 and v70 along in the reddit forums, these two version need to be reviewed by NG again and hopefully they can fix the issues at hand. Theres nothing we can do here in the forums to effect any fixes when it comes to FW. 

So for those having problems on v4 and v70, revert back to v16. I find it to be the most stable version currently for Orbi 50 series. 
Make contact with netgear support for those that are under warranty. 

For those that are not under warranty, make contact with a forum moderator to let them know what your having problems with and what you have done.

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

@DarrenM 

Good Luck. 

Message 111 of 118
COMountainGoat
Apprentice

Yeah, having a factory reset be the right answer because of software defects is different from should it be the right answer :-).

And do appreciate the advice and insight.  Shame that Netgear can't fix the QA issues after all these years.

Message 112 of 118
ReneK
Aspirant

Installed the new 2.5.2.4 software on base and satellite. Wish I hadn't because now I can't access the 'Advanced' settings anymore on my Orbi. Anyone else with this problem?

Message 113 of 118
argold
Guide

Firmware V2.5.2.4 has not affected my access to the Advanced menu including Advanced Setup.

Message 114 of 118
ReneK
Aspirant

Found it! It is Safari in Big Sur (MAC-OS) that's blocking the advanced page...

More to read on:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250321859

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 115 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different browser? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@ReneK wrote:

Installed the new 2.5.2.4 software on base and satellite. Wish I hadn't because now I can't access the 'Advanced' settings anymore on my Orbi. Anyone else with this problem?

Message 116 of 118
Gebla
Apprentice

I had to move back to 2.5.1.16. On this release a wired connected device suddenly looses internet connection. I can still browse the internal network but external no longer possible.

Message 117 of 118
FURRYe38
Guru

v4 has been preceeded by v40 now. v4 is now out of date so if you wanna try v40 later on:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Otherwise keep what works for you. V16 is stable IMO. 

@Gebla wrote:

I had to move back to 2.5.1.16. On this release a wired connected device suddenly looses internet connection. I can still browse the internal network but external no longer possible.

Message 118 of 118
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7