Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Initial Setup Question with Arris SB8200

Halewafa
Guide

RBK50 Initial Setup Question with Arris SB8200

Hi Guys,

I searched for a bit and couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for (or maybe I did, but the lingo was over my head). I just got the Orbi RBK50 3-pack and I'm getting ready to set it up.

My question: I was hoping to connect the main unit to the modem, but also wanted the unit in the basement to be connected via ethernet  since the signal doesn't seem to travel well down there (on my TP-Link router, went from around 200 mbps on the main floor to about 6 mbps in the basement, lol). First of all, is it possible to use ethernet cables for the satalites? And if so, my Arris SB8200 has two ethernet ports, should I run the ethernet to the satelite from the other port on the modem, or should I run it from the main Orbi unit? Also, is there a specific port I should use on the satelites to plug the ethernet cable into?

I debated just running two routers (not Orbi units) from the modem, one to the basement and one upstairs, but I need everything to be on the same network for my PLEX server.

Hope that question makes sense. I appreciate any advice you may have. Thank you!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 Initial Setup Question with Arris SB8200

The two ports on the SB modem is not for LAN devices and only one port can be used. Those two ports are for link aggregation when and IF Arris decides to implement it and if ISP will support it.

You can keep the main host router on the main floor level which is preferred if you have a long enough cable from where the ISP modem is currently place. IF it's down in the basement as well.

You can run ethernet back haul between the main router and satellites. Set them up first via wireless then connect the ethernet cable to the back of the satellite. Give 5 minutes then the top led should turn BLUE.

Besure your using good quality LAN cable, CAT6 recommended and if switches are needed, use non managed switches.

Message 2 of 4
Halewafa
Guide

Awesome, thanks for all the great information! I just set up the Orbi today, initially wasn't impressed (the speeds were slower than the TP-Link router it replaced), but after about 30 minutes speeds were much improved. Getting around 450 mbps down on WiFi at home router, 350 mbps in the basement upstairs, haven't tried with ethernet yet.

Question for you though, is there a specific ethernet port I should plug into the satellite from the home router? None of them are labeled for internet.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The Yellow marked port in back is always for Internet or ISP Modem connections. All the other ports in back, the Black ones are LAN ports. Any of them will work.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7