Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Keeps Dropping all Connections

altgml11
Tutor

RBK50 Keeps Dropping all Connections

my RBK50 has been acting up for the last few weeks. The speed had to 300Mbps on a Gigabit connection, drops all connections once or twice a day, and then comes back up (The logs don't show anything on it).

Here's what I've ruled out so far.

1) ISP issues -> haven't changed it recently. The Modem light is green when the wifi goes out so the connection is still intact.  I have checked the internet connectivity by hardwiring to Arris modem from my PC and it shows 900+Mbps on it. 

2) Hardware issues -> i have swapped the cat and ethernet cables to rule out hardware issues

3) Software issues -> no recent firmware upgrades prior to the issue (although I did manually flash the latest V2.7.4.24 version to rule it out). i have factory reset it twice to rule out any issues on the router software end.

Oddly the router logs don't have anything to suggest this happened.

My warranty ran out in July, so I'm hoping I don't have to throw it out. 

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: RBK50 Keeps Dropping all Connections

What actual modem is it connected to? 
I know the light is green, but when it goes down, do hardwired devices work?
What firmware is on the satellites? (not just the router) 

Message 2 of 8
altgml11
Tutor

It's connected to an Arris tg3452a modem and the satellite and the router are on the same firmware. I've checked the modem periodically and it clocks 900Mbps continuously. I'm leaning more toward the router because it fully disconnects the connections. i've had one or two minor ISP outages in the last year and in all those cases, my devices were still connected to the Router Wifi (even though the modem lacked internet access). 

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

That modem? Isn't just a modem. 

Its a modem/router combo device and causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 4 of 8
altgml11
Tutor

Thanks a lot for the detailed response! Sorry, should've put this in my original post, but it's already in the bridge mode and it's strictly used as a modem with the Orbi handling the Wifi.
Message 5 of 8
chlaloeKK
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing this knowledgeable insights for router, it helped me a lot with working on the page.  

Message 6 of 8
maruti7766
Aspirant

That's great information! Double NAT can be a tricky, but it sounds like you've got it all figured out. I think the best option for most people would be to put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode, as this will disable its routing functions and help to prevent interference. Thanks for sharing!

Message 7 of 8
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Maruti7766,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

Soliciting is not tolerated in the community. 

Your link has been removed. 

For more information about our community guidelines please visit the page below:

NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7