Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Not blocking on school Mac Air

cganne
Aspirant

RBK50 Not blocking on school Mac Air

hi,

I have this RBK50, able to block the traffic and able to control on every device on my home, except the school Macbook Air given by my kid's school. Parential control works very good on rest, even on my wife's work laptop.

How can I control it on my son's laptop? what type of logs can I extract and give you folks to see where the problem is. I thought of asking the school people to take their laptop or give me full control.

Thanks for your time and appreciate any solution.

I use Circle app and did profiling and filters there. I also went to router configuration and entered the site name to block and its not doing anything. All my products are uptodate.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK50 Not blocking on school Mac Air

(Not using Circle myself, but....) How does Circle identify a device that should be managed?  (Is it by MAC address?)

The most recent Apple software versions have a feature to create artificial MAC addresses rather than use the actual hardware MAC address. It is an option that can be turned on or off.

There is a community forum specifically for the Circle product where users may have personal experience to share:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle 

Message 2 of 5
cganne
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll chk that route. Since its a school laptop..I do not have access to change any, but will try.

Yes in circle I identify it by Mac and the name and assigned it to my son's profile.
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@cganne wrote:
Thank you very much for your reply. I'll chk that route. Since its a school laptop..I do not have access to change any, but will try.

Yes in circle I identify it by Mac and the name and assigned it to my son's profile.

Might be worth verifying that the MAC address remains the same every time the laptop is connected to WiFi.

There are numerous articles on the web showing where in iOS this feature can be disabled, such as:

https://help.firewalla.com/hc/en-us/articles/360055342613-How-to-turn-off-MAC-Address-Randomization- 

The school obviously has to allow users to access some parts of the WiFi settings so that they can log onto their home WiFi network.

Message 4 of 5
cganne
Aspirant

yea...I checked I do not have the permissions and so planning to talk to school.  On the circle , I have a catch all profile and even in that profile  I did block the site, game  app, etc. Still this is the only one going thru, rest of the systems  (in catch all) are getting blocked.

Its bit frustrating . My wife works at a hostpital and  on her apple laptop these filters are working. I need to check both   of  these laptops  and their versions.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7