Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Orbi AC3000: Two Smart TV's won't make LAN Connections

petersuarez
Aspirant

RBK50 Orbi AC3000: Two Smart TV's won't make LAN Connections

Both my LG and Sony TV's will not recognize the LAN connection.  Two seperate manufacturers, it must be a setting within the Orbi Router.

Support has been nothing short of maddening.  They just tell me to call LG and Sony.

My wife's computer LAN connection works.  Wifi works.  

TV's were working fine for years.  But I just set up the Orbi and my TV's just don't recognize there there's a connection.

It must be some kind of setting issue.  

Any suggestions is appreciated.  Love the WiFi Orbi offers but I paid good money for LAN connection.  

Thanks.

Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 Orbi AC3000: Two Smart TV's won't make LAN Connections

Glad you found the problem. Was wondering. 

Mark your thread and solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@petersuarez wrote:

Thanks for your reply but my issue was resolved.

Faulty cables was the issue.

All good now.  The Orbi's solid.

View solution in original post

Message 29 of 33

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Be sure the FW on the TVs are up to date. 

Test different LAN cables and LAN ports to be sure. 

Besure the TVs are set for auto obtain network addressing and not set for static IPs.

IF the PC LAN works and the TVs don't, possible issue with TVs or cableing. 

Message 2 of 33
plemans
Guru

I had an similar issue. Not saying this is the same but I had to manually go in and force the tv to change to lan before it'd work. It isn't like a computer and automatically work when hooked to a lan cable. Might be something to check if you haven't. 

Message 3 of 33
petersuarez
Aspirant

Hello and thanks for your reply.

I've got a Spectrum Modem, Model E31T2V1

I ran an update on my LG TV and it came back that it was updated.

Cables are all solid.

I've looked like crazy on the LG and I simply can't find where to set Auto Obtain Network Address.  I've been inside out of the Network Set up and I just don't see that setting.  

UGH!

Message 4 of 33
plemans
Guru

@petersuarez wrote:

Hello and thanks for your reply.

I've got a Spectrum Modem, Model E31T2V1

I ran an update on my LG TV and it came back that it was updated.

Cables are all solid.

I've looked like crazy on the LG and I simply can't find where to set Auto Obtain Network Address.  I've been inside out of the Network Set up and I just don't see that setting.  

UGH!

This is from the LG website for LgOS

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/solutions/tv/smart-tv/connecting-to-internet

Did you try this?

Message 5 of 33
petersuarez
Aspirant

Yes, that’s the standard steps I’ve taken. My tv looks just like that.
What I can’t find, and what you sent doesn’t show either, is a way to set auto IP retrieve.

To be clear, my LAN connection on both th e LG tv and Sony we’re perfectly fine and working before the Orbi router.
Message 6 of 33
petersuarez
Aspirant

Both TV’s don’t recognize any kind of LAN connection. LG doesn’t offer any kind of manual set up. I’ve tried with the Sony but it just doesn’t see any connection.

What iPhone curious is that I get one IP address that’s listed when the TV is connected to the wireless network. But if I run what’s my IP on my phone or my computer and that is hard connected I get a different IP address.
Message 7 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What as the Mfr and model of the prior router? 

Possible there maybe some form on incomatibily with these TVs and the Orbi.

There any sort of wireless configuration to disable the wireless on the TVs or is that automatic. I would tell the TVs to disconnect from the wireless signal from the Orbi. Then try the LAN cable connection. 

You will have different IP addresses on the TVs between the wireless connectoin and wired connection in most cases.

You can try this if you can, turn the prior router into a AP, LAN to LAN connect that to the Orbi router. Disable ALL wifi on this router. Turning in to a kind of LAN switch. Connect the TVs to this prior router. Do they get an IP address? 

If you can't do this, might try getting a external LAN Gb switch in between the Orbi and TVs and see if this might help. Non managed and Non Green Ethernet switches are perferred to use with Orbi. 

Message 8 of 33
randomousity
Luminary

Each NIC will get a separate IP, even on the same device. So, a laptop connected over wifi will get one IP, but if you connect it via ethernet, it'll get a different IP, even though it's the same device.

Also, some smart devices, like TVs, cable/satellite boxes, etc., don't have good network management settings, and it's not possible to force them to use ethernet if they're already configured for wifi. If that's the case, you might try either factory resetting the TVs (or just resetting the network configurations, if that's an option) and not setting up the wifi at all, or changing the wifi name (SSID) of your network so that your TV can't connect to it anymore. My satellite receiver will let me replace the current wifi settings with new ones, but doesn't seem to have a means to just clear the wifi settings and leave nothing there without performing a full system factory reset. Factory resetting the satellite box will also result in clearing all the series recording options, delete all the things from the DVR, etc., so it's not really an option on a practical level, but factory resetting a TV shouldn't really cause many problems, if any.

Message 9 of 33
petersuarez
Aspirant

Thank you for the info.  Good to know about the IP's.

Still can't seem to get my TV's to recognize the LAN connection via Orbi.

Hate to have to return it.  

Message 10 of 33
petersuarez
Aspirant

I appreciate the suggestion but it seems like a long way to go to get the Orbi Router to function like a router.

Besides, I no longer have the previous router.  

I have to think that there's something up with the Orbi Router.  Two different manufactureres of the TV's but the same problem.

Message 11 of 33
randomousity
Luminary

Nothing I suggested requires your old router.

I'd suggest looking to see what the TVs say in their network configuration pages (are they set for manual or DHCP configuration? If DHCP, are they actually being assigned IPs by the router?). If they have built in web browsers, what do you see when you try to load a page?

Also, in the Orbi config pages, check the connected devices page to see whether the TVs show up there, and check the access control page to see whether they're allowed internet access. It could be they're on DHCP, getting assigned IPs properly, but the Orbi is blocking their internet access because they're designated as blocked devices in the access control settings. If you use the TVs' web browsers to try to access a page, you'll get a message on the screen saying something to the effect of "this device's internet access is blocked by the router."

@petersuarez wrote:

I appreciate the suggestion but it seems like a long way to go to get the Orbi Router to function like a router.

I have to think that there's something up with the Orbi Router.  Two different manufactureres of the TV's but the same problem.

Message 12 of 33
gr8sho
Virtuoso

If there’s a conflict with the subnet of the Orbi and the Spectrum router, it will appear like a lack of connectivity to Ethernet attached devices. Log into the Orbi via web browser and see if it throws up any type of message from indicating a conflict. If there is, the Orbi will self adjust.
Message 13 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I didn't know if you had the old router or not. 

You can try this then, get a inexpensive LAN swtich and see if this helps. 

You could try another Orbi to see if that works. I doubt it. Seems like there is a problem with these TVs since other devices do work wire connected to the Orbi. 

The ISP modem would not be effecting how the TVs are connecting to the Orbi. There failing to get even a IP address from the Orbi router. Can test this by disconnecting the RBR from the ISP modem. Do they still not get a IP address then? 

@petersuarez wrote:

Message 14 of 33
petersuarez
Aspirant

Hi.  No luck here. I didn't notice any challenge while logging in to the Orbi router on a LAN connection.

I checked both TV and they still don't recognize the LAN connections.

Message 15 of 33
petersuarez
Aspirant

Thanks but no luck.  TV's just won't recognize the LAN.  2 different manufacturers.  Though my wife's computer is wired and happy.

Message 16 of 33
petersuarez
Aspirant

Yes, that's exactly how my set up looks on my LG.  But still, no luck.

Message 17 of 33
petersuarez
Aspirant

My apologies, my original reply was meant for someone else.

I just don't see how to get to the configuration page to confirm TV's are set to DHCP. I'm going to guess that indeed they are since they were working fine before Orbi and there was never any special set up. In fact, I had changed ISP from AT&T to Spectrum. This was 2 weeks ago. TV's LAN connection worked fine with Sprectrum modem and prior to Orbi. There was nothing special set up so I'm assuming they're set to DHCP.

I see all my devices in the Orbi admin. I see my TV's but I see them because they're on the Wireless Network. What I don't see is the Orbi access control page to see if the Orbi is blocking their internet accesss. Can you be more specfic?

Message 18 of 33
petersuarez
Aspirant

Well, perhaps this bit of info will illuminate someone smarter than moi.

I got on the phone with Netgear.  Tech had me plug the LAN cable directly into the modem.

My LG TV recognized the connection and was trying to connect.  I'd get a message, 'Connected' than it would 'Disconnect'.

My call with Netgear got disconnected because of course I was on a VOIP call. (God forbid she'd call me back)  Any who, I plugged the LAN from the LG back into the Orbi and it said connected.  Meanwhile, my wife and kids we're all up in arms about the Wifi, the Wifi.  

I did not confirm internet connection by logging onto Netflix, etc...but at least it was communicating, which is much more than I've gotten before.  I went back to the LG to check and it's back to square one. No connection. No acknowlegment.

Looks like a DNS issue?   Gonna call Netgear again tomorrow cause I just have nothing better to do with my time. haha.  

Let me know if this inspires any thoughts.

Thx.

Message 19 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What as the Mfr and model of the prior router? 

Message 20 of 33
petersuarez
Aspirant

The manufacturer of the original router Sagemcom.

Attached is a picture.

I actually was on the phone with Spectrum and they adjusted the setting to 'Bridge' for the modem.

I reset to factory setting on the LG and that didn't work. 

Message 21 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok I was curious what you had. Thats a modem router combo. 

Adjusting the modem you have not will not make any differences. I presume the proble is between the RBR lan ports and the TV lan ports.

You can try this then, get a inexpensive LAN swtich and see if this helps.

Only other way to see if it's the TVs or the RBR would be to put in a different router in place of the RBR temporarily and see if the TVs get an IP address. If they do off a different router, then there is something wrong with the Orbi or some kind of incompatibility issue. You could try another Orbi system and see as another suggestion. 

Message 22 of 33
petersuarez
Aspirant

What are your thoughts on the fact that both LG and Sony TV won't work?  Two seperate manufactureres.  Yet my wife's computer works fine on the wired.  Before I got the Orbi, Spectrum's modem and router combo worked fine for the TV's.

Regarding the structure of the switch.  TV wires connect into switch and the switch connects to the RBR?

Message 23 of 33
ekhalil
Master

I think that somehow, in some cases after changing a router the TVs get stuck and cannot get new DHCP addresses.
Please test to set static IP addresses in the TVs to see if this is the issue.
Message 24 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch?

Seems to be some kind of compatibility issue between the TVs and Orbi. Do the TVs get any IP address if directly connected to the RBR? 

@petersuarez wrote:

What are your thoughts on the fact that both LG and Sony TV won't work?  Two seperate manufactureres.  Yet my wife's computer works fine on the wired.  Before I got the Orbi, Spectrum's modem and router combo worked fine for the TV's.

Regarding the structure of the switch.  TV wires connect into switch and the switch connects to the RBR?

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7