Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 WiFi networking

kevinNG
Aspirant

RBK50 WiFi networking

I just bought a pair RBK50 router for my home network (currently using 100Mb/s). I would like to open the Guest network for my friends, and intend to limit the WiFi bandwith 6Mb/s. Can I setup a guest network with limited browsing speed?
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 WiFi networking

So far you can only enable Guest wifi. You can't set bandwidth. 

Message 2 of 10
JoeM845
Luminary

Be careful. The "guest network" devices are not isolated and can touch the devices that are not on the guest network.

Message 3 of 10
kevinNG
Aspirant

oh...thank you for your reminder!

Message 4 of 10
kevinNG
Aspirant

so...should i open the guest wifi for visitors? 

Message 5 of 10
tsig
Luminary

Do you have guests whom you don't trust on your wifi?

Message 6 of 10
kevinNG
Aspirant

Yes...actually I am a host of a hostel so I want to restrict the guest WiFi network
Message 7 of 10
JoeM845
Luminary

@tsigwrote:

Do you have guests whom you don't trust on your wifi?

My concern is more for errant devices than errant users. I wish to keep the attack surface small to minimize threats. The strong rise of the IoT is leading to more malevolent (and flaky) devices that use Wi-Fi. Even devices that are fine today could be co-opted tomorrow. If I do not see a need for them to have access to local devices on my LAN, I would much prefer that they could not have any access.

Message 8 of 10
kevinNG
Aspirant

Thank you for your comment.
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to look into a more business class wifi system that has more management features and allows or more granular configurations with connected client devices. 

@kevinNGwrote:
Yes...actually I am a host of a hostel so I want to restrict the guest WiFi network

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7