Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50. cannot connect to wifi/internet for mobile devices after power outage. Laptops are ok

Andrianp
Aspirant

RBK50. cannot connect to wifi/internet for mobile devices after power outage. Laptops are ok

After a brief power outage, all mobile devices (all android based) in my network will fail to connect to wifi (wifi will have no internet). While macbook and attached computers can connect.

This behavior will continue for about 3-4 hours and then the connection usually will be restored as usual. I have tried to turn off all the router (Orbi is behind my ISP router on fixed IP) and turning it on again.

I am using channel 1 for the wifi, as it's the vacant channel in our environment.

This is driving me crazy as different behaviors were displayed for mobile devices and laptops. Is there a way to reset  all t he connected devices to ORbi ???

Thanks for your help

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50. cannot connect to wifi/internet for mobile devices after power outage. Laptops are ok

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Has all android devices been powered off then back and to see if they will re-connect? 

Has a proper power OFF of the entire Orbi system for 1 minute, then back on then see if the android devices connect? 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK50. cannot connect to wifi/internet for mobile devices after power outage. Laptops are ok

@Andrianp wrote:

After a brief power outage, all mobile devices (all android based) in my network will fail to connect to wifi (wifi will have no internet). While macbook and attached computers can connect.

It might be useful to clarify something: i.e. Do the android devices not connect to the Orbi WiFi at all, or do they connect to the WiFi but have no internet access?  The way to check this is to look at the Orbi "Attached Devices" page and also to check the WiFi status on the android devices.

Is everything that does work "wired" to the Orbi (MacBook, computers), or are some of these devices also using WiFi?  i.e. when there is a power outage, none of the android devices "lose power" (because they use battery power), but everything else (modem, Orbi, MacBook, computers) does lose power?

You certainly do not want to investigate this problem by "throwing the main breaker" on the house, which would lead to wholesale disruption.  It might come close if you could disrupt power to the modem and Orbi.  (For example, if they are on the same plug strip.)

Having the Orbi fixed to one channel probably helps reduce the number of possibilities.

Message 3 of 5
Andrianp
Aspirant

Hi Crimpon

They got connected to wifi, got an IP address but immediately kicked out again. In the status screen in the android the wifi status is Authenticating - obtaining IP address then immediately move to saved again.

The macbook is on wifi, my daughter's laptop is also on wifi. After the power is restored, immediately the connection is restored to them.

Which is why this issue is exasperating because I can work it out if everything can't connect (might just claim warranty).

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has all android devices been powered off then back and to see if they will re-connect? 

Has a proper power OFF of the entire Orbi system for 1 minute, then back on then see if the android devices connect? 

@Andrianp wrote:

This behavior will continue for about 3-4 hours and then the connection usually will be restored as usual. I have tried to turn off all the router (Orbi is behind my ISP router on fixed IP) and turning it on again.

I am using channel 1 for the wifi, as it's the vacant channel in our environment.

This is driving me crazy as different behaviors were displayed for mobile devices and laptops. Is there a way to reset  all t he connected devices to ORbi ???

Thanks for your help

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7