Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 dropping WiFi

jpederson
Aspirant

RBK50 dropping WiFi

I bought the RBK50 setup at the end of April of this year.  It's worked great until the last 2 or three weeks.  Now my WiFi connection is dropping constantly.  I reset the entire setup and it works for a few minutes at best, and it's gone again.  Of course I'm out of warranty and this is my only option for support.  I tried updating firmware, but my version says it's current.

For the money I spent, I expect a better product.  Now I have 2 expensive paper weights........

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 11
jpederson
Aspirant

My firmware is 2.5.1.16

My modem is a Horton PC20

Our house is 3500 sq ft. My router is on the second floor with a hard line to the satellite on the first floor.

I have the Ethernet from the modem to the Orbi router, then from the orbi router into a to link tl-sg108 gigabit switch. From there to the orbi satellite on the main floor.

I have the 2.5 on auto and the 5 on channel 40. The 5 was on 44 but I changed it to see if it would work. I don’t see an auto option for the 5

I have one neighbor with a WiFi signal that’s been here longer than my Orbi
Message 3 of 11
jpederson
Aspirant

Damn auto correct. The modem is a hitron not Horton
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What channel is your nieghbor using on 2.4 and 5Ghz?

Are you having problems with the RBR or the RBS or the entire system? 

Do you have wired access with a PC or laptop when the wifi drops? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 

@jpederson wrote:
My firmware is 2.5.1.16

My modem is a Horton PC20

Our house is 3500 sq ft. My router is on the second floor with a hard line to the satellite on the first floor.

I have the Ethernet from the modem to the Orbi router, then from the orbi router into a to link tl-sg108 gigabit switch. From there to the orbi satellite on the main floor.

I have the 2.5 on auto and the 5 on channel 40. The 5 was on 44 but I changed it to see if it would work. I don’t see an auto option for the 5

I have one neighbor with a WiFi signal that’s been here longer than my Orbi

Message 5 of 11
jpederson
Aspirant

I have no idea how to tell what channel my neighbor is on

The wired seems to work and it’s the router and satellite both. They’re about 25 feet apart I would guess.

This system worked flawlessly for several months. Then suddenly I have nothing. When I connect with the anywhere access on the app and my phone on cell data, it says it’s connected to the internet.
Message 6 of 11
jpederson
Aspirant

I just unplugged everything and let it sit for several minutes. Then plugged the modem in, let it connect to the internet. The. Plugged the Orbi router in and let it connect. Then plugged the switch in and let it power up. Then plugged the Orbi satellite in and let it connect. I had WiFi for about 5 minutes and then no connection. Orbi says it’s connected to the internet and my devices say they’re connected to my network but no internet.
Message 7 of 11
jpederson
Aspirant

I just unplugged my satellite and it works. What I plug the satellite back in, I loose connectivity. So I have a paperweight and half of my “mesh” network..... Is there anything I can do or an I out of luck?
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 9 of 11
jpederson
Aspirant

I think I figured it out. I did a factory reset on both the Orbi units and went through the setup again. It worked all last night. We’ll see how long this lasts.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, if it is seen again, try the other suggestion. 

Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7