× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 firmware update bug messes up Orbi address

beguna1
Tutor

RBK50 firmware update bug messes up Orbi address

When you first use the app to install Orbi, Orbi sees that there is still an existing router and gives itself a non-conflicting address.  Then it installs any firmware update, and then the problems begin.  The problem is that after the firmware update, Orbi reverts to the default address which likely conflicts with the old router.  There is no way to fix it using the app or a browser.  I suspect this leads to many RMA's because in that condition, Orbi will not connect to the satellite.  The solution is to start all over with the barcode on the Orbi using the app and your phone's camera.  The setup will begin again.  It will keep any name and password you may have already assigned it which is convenient and will change to a non conflicting address.  At that point you can remove the old router, or if you are keeping the old router in use because it is part of your modem, you can change Orbi to AP mode thru a browser.  Hopefully Netgear will fix the firmware update routine soon so it keeps the Orbi address.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If you change the default IP address of the Orbi router, and you update, it may change back to the default IP address. NG always uses 192.186.1.1 as there IP address for there routers. So one thing to check for if you change the IP address to something else. Disconnect the router from all other devices accept for one wired PC. Do the update and let it install. Then check the IP address, if it's changed, then change it back to what you had it configured for, apply and reboot, then after the router is back online, re-connect everything else.

Message 2 of 8
beguna1
Tutor

I did not change the Orbi address during initial setup.  The Orbi setup software did.  That was smart.  The firmware update should do the exact same thing or keep the changed address.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What did the IP address change too? 

Is the Orbi connected to another router or a modem/router combo unit that uses 192.168.1.1?

Message 4 of 8
beguna1
Tutor

It automatically changed to 192.168.1.201.  It is now in AP mode and is connected to a combination router/modem supplied by Google Fiber.  Orbi is working great now but I wasted several hours because of the bug in Netgear's firmware upgrade software.  I'm sure most people would have given up and returned it to wherever they bought it from.  I was just lucky that I decided to start the setup app over again.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Well nobody else has reported something happening like this. I haven't seen anything like this either. I set up my friends 50 series last month and saw no IP address changes during FW updates. And I had to do a few. However his system is running in AP mode.

There will be some changing in IP addresses if you do have a Modem/router connected to the orbi system. If that modem/router uses 192.168.1.1 then it's possibe that the FW and or Setup wizard wil auto change the Orbi router to something different to avoid IP conflic as you can't have the same device using the same IP address.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

If it's working, should be fine. Maybe next time, try a update using a wired PC connected to the router with a web browser instead of the mobile app.

Enjoy.

Message 6 of 8
beguna1
Tutor

Just to clarify the conditions of the initial setup and F/W update, I turned the Google Fiber Wifi off before beginning setting up the Orbi.  The Orbi must have initially connected correctly to the web and the satellite because both the Orbi and its satellite updated their F/W.  Then the problems began because Orbi must have then switched to its default address which conflicted with the GF address.  At that point it would not connect to the satellite and rebooting it did not help.  Starting the setup over again fixed it.  It has been working great since.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep, that would be the senario. Anyways, glad it's working now. Enjoy. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7