Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 firmware update search fails

Threftlet
Guide

RBK50 firmware update search fails

When I try to use the Netgear iOS app to find firmware updates for my Orbi, I only get a message that searching for updates failed. Is there any workaround for that?
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Threftlet
Guide

I performed the reset again and this time it worked. I must have interrupted it the first time by bouncing the units. Anyway, the firmware appears to show the correct version for all devices now, but my remaining question is how can I get rid of "Config Sync" in Attached Devices and replace it with "Good"? I'll eventually learn to love my Orbi again, but honestly, this was too severe a test.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

You can manually update your Orbi system using a wired PC and web browser if needed:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-...

RBS first, RBR lastly.

Message 2 of 11
Threftlet
Guide

Thank you for your reply. Upon further investigation, the problem appears to be a symptom of a more basic problem. At one time, Netgear support told me that the mobile app was not effective for administering the ORBI system because I have configured my ORBI router and 2 satellites as Access Points only. The reason for that is that this appears to be the only way I can achieve bridging between my wired and wireless networks while achieving the signal strength and coverage provided by the ORBI system. I decided to try again with the current version of the Netgear app just in case that limitation has been removed. I've now abandoned that approach, assuming that the limitation still exists.

Apparently, I'm no longer able to effectively communicate with my ORBI satellites. As of now, I am using only the built-in ORBI admin tools by accessing the IP address of the ORBI router. The root of the problem appears to be that automatic updates have stopped working. The issue is complicated by the fact that one of the satellites was apparently inadvertently switched off some time ago. After switching it back on yesterday, I have a disparity between firmware versions. The firmware of the router and the satellite that has remained active is V2.7.4.24. The firmware of the router that was off and turned on yesterday is V2.7.2.104. I used the built-in admin access for the system to attempt a manual firmware update of the satellite which was turned off. Only the satellite with the V2.7.2.104 firmware was displayed for manually updating by the built-in admin website. I first tried installing current version V2.7.5.4, which appeared to be successful, but the admin website still showed the version as V2.7.2.104. Then I tried installing version V2.7.4.24 to that satellite, which also appeared to have executed successfully, but the admin website (even though reloaded and refreshed) continues to show that satellite's version as V2.7.2.104. This is where I'm stuck now. If you can provide information about how to update the entire system to the current version (V2.7.5.4), that's what I'd really like to do. My device MAC addresses are consistent, as far as I can tell. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 11
Threftlet
Guide

I forgot to mention that the host router is an ARRIS BGW210-700, and I can assure you that the Wi-Fi radios on that system are turned off.

Message 4 of 11
Threftlet
Guide

The admin web page for my ORBI system seems to show inaccurate information. Although the router version and one of the satellites appear to be active with firmware version v2.7.4.24, and the second satellite appears to be active with firmware v2.7.2.104, none of the devices appear under the Manual Update>Update area of the Firmware Update page. So a different method from that described in the provided instructions appears to be needed to apply version v2.7.5.4 to the 3 devices. Would you provide me with the necessary actions, please?

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

What a frustrating situation!  The Firmware Update, Manual Update Tab is supposed to look like this:

CrimpOn_0-1696032123432.png

The panel underneath Firmware Update provides a button to locate the firmware image for the router (Browse) and an Update button on the right side of the page (cuf off in this image) to start the process.

The bottom panel is supposed to have one entry for each satellite. Check the satellite to update and click the Update button on the right side of the page.

If no satellites appear, then the update process is to connect directly to the satellite's Home Page using the IP address of the satellite, which appears on the Attached Devices page.  The bottom menu item on the satellite Home Page is Firmware Update.

Message 6 of 11
Threftlet
Guide

Thanks for your answer. After I read it, I went to each satellite's home page and manually applied the firmware V2.7.5.4 for satellites, then went to the orbilogin.net page and applied V2.7.5.4 for router. The router now shows V2.7.5.4, but the satellites don't show up on the firmware page, although they do show up as connected attached. But the status shows "config sync" under Backhaul instead of "Good". I removed the satellites, and tried to re-add them, but "config sync" still appears. Anything else to try? Thanks again.

Message 7 of 11
Threftlet
Guide

I performed a reset on the three devices. I think the user manual should explain reset a little better, because the reset didn't occur. The router is still available at the same IP address and can be accessed using the same password. The same precise failures for the router home page still exist. I held the paper clip with the reset switch triggered for at least 10 seconds. Are there other tricks needed to perform the reset?

Message 8 of 11
Threftlet
Guide

I performed the reset again and this time it worked. I must have interrupted it the first time by bouncing the units. Anyway, the firmware appears to show the correct version for all devices now, but my remaining question is how can I get rid of "Config Sync" in Attached Devices and replace it with "Good"? I'll eventually learn to love my Orbi again, but honestly, this was too severe a test.

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I have had satellites display "Config Sync" for quite some time, and then..... become "Good".

If you can demonstrate that that the satellites are actually functioning correctly, i.e. devices connected to the satellites have internet, then perhaps  "Ignorance is bliss"?

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@Threftlet wrote:

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7