Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 losing Internet connection to Xfinity Gateway

Hambola
Aspirant

RBK50 losing Internet connection to Xfinity Gateway

I have the RBR50K which includes the router and satellite. I have firmware version V2.5.1.16 which I upgraded to yesterday. Prior to that the devices were on V2.5.1.8. I have Xfinity Internet and it is setup in Gateway mode (bridge mode), with the RBK setup in Router mode. For about a year and a half I have had this setup with no issues. For the last week (on both older and newer firmware) I would lose Internet connection. My WiFi was still functional but no Internet. If I ping the Xfinity Gateway IP 10.0.0.1 from my device, I get no responses. If I login to the Orbi it shows Internet status is Connected. I would resolve this issue by unplugging the Xfinity gateway and plugging back in. This resolves the issue. I called Comcast and they mentioned the Gateway is fine and Internet is connected. So the next time I lost Internet I released and renewed the IP on the Orbi, and that brought the Internet back. So power cycling the Gateway was not required to recover Internet connection.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot why the Orbi is losing Internet to my gateway and why IP release/renewal fixes it. This should be automatic as far as I can tell about half way through the lease term. I do notice on the Connection Status when I login to the Orbi the lease obtained is 1 hour 51 minutes which stikes me as very short. 

Please advise.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 losing Internet connection to Xfinity Gateway

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

So loosing the access to the gateways web page is all thats happening? Depending upon the mfr and model of the modem, some modems when put in bridge mode disable access ot the management page or the access is 192.168.100.1 for most cable modems. Which would be a normal operation. 

If you put the modem in bridge mode then would see a seen to always have access to the modems web page unless you need to change the modem back to gateway mode. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update on the RBR? 

Message 2 of 14
Hambola
Aspirant

The modem is a Xfinity XB6-T. 

I lose Internet completely for all my WiFi connected devices. I cannot access any web page or any service requiring Internet data. During that time I notice I can't access the gateway web page.

After a release and renew, Internet comes back to all my devices. I also do notice that I can access the Gateway again. So access to the Gateway page is not the real issue. It's just another symptom when I lose internet access.

No I haven't performed a factory reset on the RBR after the firmware update. I haven't had to for the last 1.5 years since I've had the device even with firmware updates. Also this issue was there right before the most recent firmware update. I've only had the issue the last week, prior to that no issues with the same setup.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would power OFF the modem for 1 minute while you factory reset the RBR. Power on the modem then walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR. 

Be sure the modem is fully bridged and the wifi radios are fully disabled. 

Message 4 of 14
Hambola
Aspirant

I just double checked the Xfinity router, it's in bridge mode, set to enabled. The 2.4Ghz and 5.0GHz networks are both disabled, and no wifi device can see them.

Sure, I can factory reset the Orbi. I will try that later today. Out of curiosity, why do you think a factory reset will resolve? Have you seen this type of problem before with the IP release and renewal be an issue? For a DHCP setup it should be standard. Also have you seen such short IP lease times before?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes seen issues with DHCP with Orbi and some ISP modems. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Another-RBR50-Dropping-Internet-Connection/m-p/1874900/highlig...

Sometimes FW updates cause problems and a reset is needed to clear out any lingering older FW code or configurations that may cause problems with newer FW. 

Message 6 of 14
Hambola
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing the link to the thread. I read on there that folks have been modifying the lease time through Telnet. Worth trying that first?

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya try that first...

Message 8 of 14
Hambola
Aspirant

I modified through Telnet. About 8 hours later, I lost all Internet again, with WiFi still connected. So that didn't fix it. I will have to perform a factory reset.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how that goes...

Message 10 of 14
Hambola
Aspirant

Will do.

The other thing I'm trying before a full reset is to disable Circle. I read on the forums that this causes issues as well. 

Again all of this is strange, I've had no problems for 18 months straight. 

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, theres some recent problems with Circle. Smiley Frustrated

Message 12 of 14
Hambola
Aspirant

Been up for over 3 days now without Internet loss. Can't tell what did it since I modified the WAN IP lease time through Telnet and disabled Circle. Will report back if things change.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Soulds good. At some point you can try re-enabling Circle and see if the problem re-appears. 

If the problem re-appears, then you'll know. 

Please report any Circle problems in the Circle forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7