× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 low speed on some spots

carlsson
Star

RBK50 low speed on some spots

I bought the RBK50 system last summer, ie one RBR50 and two RBS50. This have worked very good, except that I have some spots with lower speeds.

Our house is built 1926, it has an indoor chimney that is placed in the middle of the house, and I guess that's one of the wifi blockers in the house. The walls are wooden except for the cellar where it's stone or cement.

There are 4 floors including the cellar and the attic (which will remade to fit my office next year).

It's approximately 70 square meters per floor, and each floor is 2,5 meters high. There are at this moment 24 units connected, three of them via cable.

Thoughts:

- Should I buy more satellites?

- If I spend more money on this, would it be better to invest in something newer?

- If I buy something newer, could I use my old Orbis somehow?

🤔

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: RBK50 low speed on some spots

what I'd try doing firsts? 

move the satellites around to see if they provide better coverage before buying more. 

If the coverage doesn't get better because of the materials the home is made from, then sometimes a better investment is in hardwiring in the satellites using powerline, moca adapters, or even running ethernet. 

many older houses also use plaster lathe which is great at blocking wifi besides the brick you have. This also attenuates signal very well. 

so I'd try moving them around before buying things that might not help.

If it does help, then buying another satellite might help with coverage. 

I'd also check when devices are slow if they're on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz. 2.4ghz is a slow network but penetrates much better than 5ghz. 

Message 2 of 5
carlsson
Star

Thanks for the input Plemans. 👍

The probem is especially visible on the second floor, I get as low as 5 Mbit/s depending on where and how I put the satellite. It may be the bricks in the chimney, as well as things in the walls. 

I'll try to add a second satellite on that floor.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Just for testing, move them around. You have 2x satellites and a router so you could potentially try a lot of combinations to see how to get the best coverage on that floor. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series