Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 on Spectrum -- Issues with Arris Touchstone TG1672 Telephony Gateway

17squared
Aspirant

RBK50 on Spectrum -- Issues with Arris Touchstone TG1672 Telephony Gateway

I'd greatly appreciate help setting up my Orbi.  

My current Spectrum unit is modem/voice combo. Modem and router in one, Arris TG1672G. Since I have a combo unit, I was able to change my Orbi for use as an access point versus a router.  I read through other threads that recommended that I ALSO turn off the WiFi on my spectrum router.  Can someone tell me if this is absolutely necessary?  I can't get through to Spectrum right now, and not sure I can do it on my own.  Also, if I don't turn off the wifi signal on the Spectrum router, what is the downside?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK50 on Spectrum -- Issues with Arris Touchstone TG1672 Telephony Gateway

@17squared wrote:

I read through other threads that recommended that I ALSO turn off the WiFi on my spectrum router.  Can someone tell me if this is absolutely necessary?

This manual shows connecting to the Arris on page 31:

https://arris.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#30000000kUAL/a/a0000000QKlT/wgbSRf7XAjc84Clg5aPHVuQdPDWUASDU0... 

Use a web browser to connect to http://192.168.0.1. User "admin", password "password".

This manual does not specify how to modify the WiFi settings other than to connect to the web interface and explore from there.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Its recommended to disable ALL wifi radios on the modem as these will and can cause wifi interferences with the Orbi system. Especially if the modem is close to the RBR. 

You can do a search on your model modem on the web to find out how to disable the wifi radios, or put the modem in bridge mode. This model supports bridging I believe then you could use the Orbi RBR in router mode. https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/TG862G-NA-Bridge-Mode-Setup

For ease though, just disable the wifi radios on the modems web page, try 192.168.100.1 for the modems log in page...

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@17squared wrote:

I read through other threads that recommended that I ALSO turn off the WiFi on my spectrum router.  Can someone tell me if this is absolutely necessary?

This manual shows connecting to the Arris on page 31:

https://arris.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#30000000kUAL/a/a0000000QKlT/wgbSRf7XAjc84Clg5aPHVuQdPDWUASDU0... 

Use a web browser to connect to http://192.168.0.1. User "admin", password "password".

This manual does not specify how to modify the WiFi settings other than to connect to the web interface and explore from there.

Message 3 of 7
17squared
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the quick response!  I decided to call Spectrum before attempting this myself.  Took an 1 hour and 40 minutes on the phone (pandemic wait times), but I told them I had a new router I wanted to use, and they turned the wifi off on my Spectrum Arris gateway from their end.  Currently the Arris is functioning as a modem only with a telephone line.  

Because they made the change, I save $5/month for the router rental fee.  I did have to reset the whole system in order to go back to router mode on the Orbi, but at least this way, I can take advantage of the better Orbi router vs. the outdated Arris model.

I realize in retrospect that I should have called Spectrum first to clear up wifi issues.  The Orbi AP mode helped with the dead spots, but it didn't do anything about the bad wifi signals, slow speeds and intermittent service which was partially due to the Spectrum router and partially due to the slower plan.  Overall, loving the improvement.  We even have coverage outside and in the cellar now.

Later I'll decide if I should switch out the Spectrum modem, too.  

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@17squared wrote:

Later I'll decide if I should switch out the Spectrum modem, too.  

A big consideration on switching out the modem is whether you have telephone service through Spectrum.  I am "in the running" to be the last house in America to still have a "land line."  We have had the same phone number for nearly 40 years and I still am more comfortable using a "full duplex" telephone connection over a cell phone "half duplex" one.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If you happen to need phone line service thru the ISP modem and want to change out the modem, ask the ISP first if the NetGear CM1150v model modem is supported on there network. If if it is, you might review this model modem at some point. 

Message 6 of 7
17squared
Aspirant

Same here.  It's old fashioned, but it's good for emergencies and telecommuting.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7