Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 (or all Orbis) allow different mac filtering for 2.4 ghz / 5 ghz and guest network

ftjacques
Tutor

RBK50 (or all Orbis) allow different mac filtering for 2.4 ghz / 5 ghz and guest network

Hi,

on my actual router, each band offers a separate mac filter option. This allows me to force various devices on 5ghz (like my iPad) without the need for a separate SSID, which is now required with the advent of smart house products.

Sadly, they are auto-configured via a phone, and will use the SSID the phone uses. Same goes for my AppleWatch, it will only connect to the same SSID as my iPhone, and only supports 2.4 ghz.

So my solution so far was to mac filter my high performance devices out of the 2.4 ghz band, which forces them on 5 ghz. This isn't an option at the moment on the Orbi RBK50 that I just got.

So I propose this feature request- allow for separate mac filtering options for each band / network- Main 2.4ghz, 5ghz and Guest network 2.4ghz, 5 ghz.

In the meantime, if anyone has an idea of how I could push my mac filters to the correct band via Telnet, I'm more than willing to try that route.

Thanks!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 (or all Orbis) allow different mac filtering for 2.4 ghz / 5 ghz and guest network

Orbi systems don't support configuations of keeping devices connected to one or another frequency. Orbi is based off a wifi operation system called Smart Connect where the 2.4 and 5Ghz radios are made into 1 SSID name for both frequencies. Based of wifi client supporf. Most devices are dual band supporting and on these devices it's up to them to decide to connect to which frequency based on signal, strength and noise. For 2.4Ghz only supporting hardware, these will only connect to the 2.4Ghz radio, never seeing or connecting to the 5Ghz radio. EVER! 

Orbi only provides the platform for which devices connect too. 

Message 2 of 6
ftjacques
Tutor

Re: RBK50 (or all Orbis) allow different mac filtering for 2.4 ghz / 5 ghz and guest network

Hi Furry,

I understand that. What I mean to say is that in it's current form, the mac filter of the Orbi filters all bands.

In my current router, the mac filter section is separate for the 2.4 ghz and the 5 ghz bands. This allows me to ban certain devices from connecting to the 2.4 ghz band and use only the 5 ghz one, for faster performance.

It's a functionnality I would like to see implemented into Orbi products, allowing for greater control.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to post and request here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

I presume this maybe something NG will not support. Worth asking about. 

Message 4 of 6
ftjacques
Tutor

Thanks Furry!

I added my suggestion to an existing one that was trying to attain the same goal.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7