Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK50 with FiOS Quantum Router Setup

slate2000
Tutor

RBK50 with FiOS Quantum Router Setup

I have a FiOS Quantum router (G1100). I have the FiOS triple play so that includes internet, phone and TV with 2 STBs. I am interested in buying the Orbi RBK50 system. I want the FiOS router solely to act as a modem as I believe it is not very good but I own it. Also, the router supports Verizon features like the show guide and PPV. so I can't get rid of it. I want the Orbi to act as the wifi router with some limited hard wired devices attached.  I see conflicting information regarding proper setup. Many say the Orbi has to run in AP mode, which I believe defeats the purpose. I have to believe that there are numerous existing and working situations like I highlighted (FiOS/Orbi). Before I buy the Orbi I need to know this will work and is the best way to connect with the FiOS router but yet use the full features of the Orbi. For sure, specific setup instructions for the router and the Orbi would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.... Johnny

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@slate2000 wrote:

I have a FiOS Quantum router (G1100). I have the FiOS triple play so that includes internet, phone and TV with 2 STBs. I am interested in buying the Orbi RBK50 system. I want the FiOS router solely to act as a modem as I believe it is not very good but I own it. Also, the router supports Verizon features like the show guide and PPV. so I can't get rid of it. I want the Orbi to act as the wifi router with some limited hard wired devices attached.  I see conflicting information regarding proper setup. Many say the Orbi has to run in AP mode, which I believe defeats the purpose. I have to believe that there are numerous existing and working situations like I highlighted (FiOS/Orbi). Before I buy the Orbi I need to know this will work and is the best way to connect with the FiOS router but yet use the full features of the Orbi. For sure, specific setup instructions for the router and the Orbi would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.... Johnny

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 21

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Running Orbi in AP mode doesn't defeat the purpose.  WiFi coverage is the strength of Orbi. Router features is not a strong point.

You can review section 3.0 on this page for various options for FiOS with other routers.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

Message 2 of 21
GadgetVirtuoso2
Apprentice

Having been a FrontierFIOS (formally VerizonFIOS) customer I can tell you a couple ways you can go about this.

1. You can bridge the FIOS router to your Orbi router and turn off WiFi on the Quantum router to let Orbi handle it all. This is one of the easier setups.
  2. Turn off Wifi on the Quantum Router and let Orbi handle all the WiFI but let the Quantum handle the actual routing.
  3. Call Verizon/Frontier and have your internet connection moved from COAX to Ethernet and use your Orbi as the router. Verizon/Frontier can split the connection at the ONT outside so it can do both. They don't like to do this but it can be done. You will need an ethernet run from the ONT to wherever you have your Orbi router setup.
  4. Have the Internet connection removed completely from the COAX connection and use ethernet, same as above and only use the COAX for TV. In this setup, you will need a MOCA device to inject your LAN to the COAX so that the STBs get the guide data and to use On-Demand. I've done this setup and it works reasonably well. You can also use the ethernet port on the STBs to connect them to the LAN but requires you to have ethernet wherever you have them, which most people don't. You could also connect the STBs to the ethernet jacks on the Orbi satellites.

I would recommend going for the easy setup and use the Orbi's for your WiFi network only and disable WiFi on the Quantum router because its the easiest setup for most people and won't require you to run ethernet or have Frontier/Verizon do anything different on their side.

You will need all the WiFi benefits of the Orbi this way you just won't see some of the Internet WAN stuff.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@slate2000 wrote:

Message 4 of 21
tsig
Luminary

I am a Fios (internet only) customer.  I turned the wifi off of the Fios router, installed the Orbi in AP mode with the same ssid and password that I was using on the Fios router, and that was it.  Everything (except one printer) just connected and workd.

Bridging the Fios router was more than I wanted to take on, and I like having the extra ethernet ports on the router to use.

Message 5 of 21
slate2000
Tutor

Thanks so much for all the info!! Very helpful! Last night I thought I was going to drop getting the Orbi and look at better extenders.

Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll be fine with one of the mentioned suggestions.

@slate2000 wrote:

Thanks so much for all the info!! Very helpful! Last night I thought I was going to drop getting the Orbi and look at better extenders.

Message 7 of 21
slate2000
Tutor

Orbi RBK50 on the way! Oh boy!

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes.

I'm setting one up for my friend this week as well. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 21
slate2000
Tutor

My Orbi arrived on Tuesday and I had it up and running in pretty short order! Works very well and as expected. For now I have it in AP mode connected to my FiOS Quantum router. It bothers me that I can't use the Orbi router and have to send all the traffic to/from the FiOS router. The bulk of my transmissions are on the LAN among 12 wifi security cams. I will look into bridging the FiOS as suggested above but for now I'll leave it in AP mode. I have 23 - 28 devices attached.

Regarding the penetration of the cement siding, it is working pretty well. However, I still have to two cams in front of house that struggle to get through so I put back the TP-Link RE450 AC1750 as an extender for these two devices. Working well. I will look into moving the Orbi router but I have limited choices at this point.

Next, I want to look at implicit Beam Forming, MU-MIMO and Fast Roaming. Not sure how these will impact my cams.

Many thanks for all the support!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well. Enjoy.

Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 21
Onelove123
Aspirant

I have the Orbi RBK53 kit (RBR50 router and 2x RBS50 satelites) and replaced the Fios Gateway with the Orbi router.  First I disabled the wifi (2.4G and 5G) that came with the Fios Gateway.  Then I disconnected the ethernet from Fios Gateway and plugged directly to the Orbi router.  Then unplugged the coax wire from Fios Gateway and connect directly to the TV cable box. 

Now I have a seemless Fios Gigabit setup with my Orbi RBK53 system.  I saw a few devices connected to a satelite that is ~60 feet away with 1 bar so I had to reset the wifi on those devices (nest, wifi cameras, lights) to start a new connection to the closest router/satelite to get full bar connection. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 12 of 21
tsig
Luminary

@Onelove123

Be aware that you will not be able to use on demand or pay per view without the fios gateway.

Message 13 of 21
Onelove123
Aspirant

Yes, defintely lost my TV guide and onDemand.  Guess i will need to go with either option 3 or 4 per below.  with these 2 options, can i connect the ethernet from ONT directly to the stb boxes?

3. Call Verizon/Frontier and have your internet connection moved from COAX to Ethernet and use your Orbi as the router. Verizon/Frontier can split the connection at the ONT outside so it can do both. They don't like to do this but it can be done. You will need an ethernet run from the ONT to wherever you have your Orbi router setup.

4. Have the Internet connection removed completely from the COAX connection and use ethernet, same as above and only use the COAX for TV. In this setup, you will need a MOCA device to inject your LAN to the COAX so that the STBs get the guide data and to use On-Demand. I've done this setup and it works reasonably well. You can also use the ethernet port on the STBs to connect them to the LAN but requires you to have ethernet wherever you have them, which most people don't. You could also connect the STBs to the ethernet jacks on the Orbi satellites.

Message 14 of 21
tsig
Luminary

Use the Fios router as a router, turn off its wireless.  Use the Orbi in AP mode.  That is how I have it.

Message 15 of 21
Gellie
Aspirant

what is the difference between putting the Fios router in bridge mode vs turning of the wireless?

Message 16 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

bridge makes it only function as a modem when you disable the wireless it is still acting as a wired router.

DarrenM

Message 17 of 21
Gellie
Aspirant

So if I'm using my Orbi in AP mode, is it beter to but my Fios route in bridge mode or just turn the wireless off? I still want to be able to use the Fios programing and DVR and PPV. Thanks

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I would keep the Orbi in AP modem and let the FIOS router be your main host router...

@Gellie wrote:

So if I'm using my Orbi in AP mode, is it beter to but my Fios route in bridge mode or just turn the wireless off? I still want to be able to use the Fios programing and DVR and PPV. Thanks

Message 19 of 21
Gellie
Aspirant

So just leave the Fios router as is?
Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors