Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK53 (1 x RBR50 Router + 2 x RBS50 Satellites) I need an additional RBS50 to work as an Extender

OttoZed
Tutor

RBK53 (1 x RBR50 Router + 2 x RBS50 Satellites) I need an additional RBS50 to work as an Extender

I purchased the RBK 53 Orbi mesh system to provide good wifi coverage in my home - it's specification claims wifi coverage up to 6000 sq. ft..

On the whole, I'm very pleased with my investment, but I'm not getting complete coverage (green light on Internet, green light on router, green light on satellite 1, but only amber, on satellite 2). 

My house of brick construction, is only 4500 sq. ft. and therein lies the problem!

I'd like to purchase another RBS50 to act as an extender, which I hope would take the wifi signal further away from satellite 2. I also realise that I'd also have to move satellite 2 closer to the router to establish a green light condition.

My question is this, how do I configure another RBS50 to act as an extender?

Router Firmware Version: V2.1.4.10

Thanks

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK53 (1 x RBR50 Router + 2 x RBS50 Satellites) I need an additional RBS50 to work as an Extende

There are two modes the satellites run in, extender mode connected directly to the router, or Daisy Chain, where one satellite would connect or piggy back of another satellite.

30 feet to start is a good adjustment to start at. The router can provide up to this by itself however depending on building materials, satellites may need be a bit closer. Top led should turn BLUE when it connects well then check connected devices for GOOD or Poor connection quality status on the routers web page.

I have 1 router and 1 satellite in my 5000sq ft home. 40 feet in between the router and satellite. However no brick.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK53 (1 x RBR50 Router + 2 x RBS50 Satellites) I need an additional RBS50 to work as an Extende

There are two modes the satellites run in, extender mode connected directly to the router, or Daisy Chain, where one satellite would connect or piggy back of another satellite.

30 feet to start is a good adjustment to start at. The router can provide up to this by itself however depending on building materials, satellites may need be a bit closer. Top led should turn BLUE when it connects well then check connected devices for GOOD or Poor connection quality status on the routers web page.

I have 1 router and 1 satellite in my 5000sq ft home. 40 feet in between the router and satellite. However no brick.

Message 2 of 10
OttoZed
Tutor

Hi Furrye38,

Many thanks for your solution.

Connected one of the satellites to the other in a daisy chain configuration and managed to achieve a result!

I now have about -54dbm signal strength.

Again, many thanks.

Regards

OttoZed

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 10
Gizmoguycdn
Aspirant

HI again,

I have exactly the same proble,.  So I am looking at getting another RBS50 and make it daisy chain to my saletelite 2 but I see that there is a Netgear range extender (Nighthawk AC2200 X4S). Would the range extender work the same way as an additional RBS50 I would buy to extend the router range to Satelite 2?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Would probably work however not have the same features as the RBS units. Also would have difference specs on wireless connections between it and the main wifi. I recommend keeping same RBS units with same Orbi system for best compability and operation.

@Gizmoguycdn wrote:

HI again,

I have exactly the same proble,.  So I am looking at getting another RBS50 and make it daisy chain to my saletelite 2 but I see that there is a Netgear range extender (Nighthawk AC2200 X4S). Would the range extender work the same way as an additional RBS50 I would buy to extend the router range to Satelite 2?

Message 6 of 10
OttoZed
Tutor

Hi,

I took Furrye38's suggestion and daisy chained an additional RBS50 sattelite to extend my network - the results were very good! I think it's possible, that if you used a Nighthawk you could extend your network, but because the RBS50 works as a tri-band device,your results could be better.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
Gizmoguycdn
Aspirant

Hi Ferry38 and OttoZed,
Thanks very much, your advise was spot on. I changed my current set up to test and thebipstairs now work perfectly. I ordered a third satellite RBS50 to act mainly as a bridge in. Y study as I have a wired connection I need to serve in my study . Thank you again.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7