Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 placement

BrandonE
Initiate

RBK53 placement

We have a 3-floor house plus a 1-room attic.  The modem is on the 2nd floor on one end and is the heart of most of our activity.  The attic is my office so it is a critical location as well, but is on the opposite end of the house from the modem.  I do have a ethernet cable that runs from the cable modem area to the attic.  A current major gap in coverage is on the 1st floor (spotty) and basement (zero).  It's an older home (early 90s).

So, my question is what is the ideal placement in this scenario knowing my modem is on one end of the house and my other critical location is on the opposite end (<70 feet away and 1 floor up)?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
jmschnur923
Luminary

The system will daisy chain. So why not try a sat on the second floor 45 feet away from your router. Then another sat in your attic near your office?

after you try that you can make changes as required.

Message 2 of 5
BrandonE
Initiate

Thanks for the help and suggestion.  I don't think that will cover my basement though as all the Orbi units would be 2 floors above.

I didn't realize they would daisy chain.  The instructions show the router in the middle and say all satellites need to be ideally 40 ft from the router.  If that is not accurate and they do daisy chain, I have more flexibility than I realized.

Message 3 of 5
jmschnur923
Luminary

In the last firmware 2.18 daisy chain is enabled. It works in my system.

So try placements that make sense to you .

Message 4 of 5
nicholb
Luminary

Ideally you want the satellite within the good WiFi from the router or another satellite (if daisy chain is on). So with the router on one end of the house I would put the 1st satellite on the 2nd floor 1/2 - 2/3 way across the house depending on signal strength. That should get you coverage to the attic and more of the 1st floor. The next satellite should go on the 1st floor in a good coverage area as close to the middle of the house as you can go. That should fill in the 1st floor and get you coverage in the basement. If you still have low spots you can add more satellites. Possibly in the basement or attic. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7