Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 (v2.1.4.16): Satellite Restart with Wired Backhaul Failures

stbach
Initiate

RBK53 (v2.1.4.16): Satellite Restart with Wired Backhaul Failures

Product: RBK53 (RBR50 Router + 2 RBS50 Satellites)

Firmware: v2.1.4.16

Configuration:

* All three nodes were reset (was told to hold for 30 seconds) and set up in same room using wireless backhaul.

* RBR50 WAN connected to unmanaged switch that is connected to Verizon FIOS router (previous tests connected directly to Verizon router, so the switch did not change behavior).

* Changed to AP Mode and fixed wifi 2.4 GHz channel to 11 (doubt that matters).  No other changes except admin password.

* After network stabilized, connected the two satellites to RBR50 using ethernet cable.

* Able to get system up an running and confirmed through web interface that Satellites showed as Wired with good backhaul status.

Testing Procedures:

* Have laptop with wired connecton to RBR50 and running continuous pings to my Verizon FIOS router.

* Have iPhone running Dr. Wifi tool running continuous pings.

* Power off one of the Satellites for 5-10 seconds.

Testing Results:

* The ORBI network becomes unstable whenever something changes, such as powering down a Satellite.  In about 6 tests, only once did the ORBI network recover from the Satellite Re-Start without manual intervention.

* During the instability, both the laptop wired connection through the RBR50 and the phone wifi had no internet connectivity.

* During the instability, when able to refresh the web interface to the connected devices, it showed that the ORBI network was switching between wireless 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz backhaul channels.

* During the instability, the ORBI network traffic seemed to cause performance problems with my other wired network devices that were connected to the Verizon router (separate from the ORBI devices).  I didn't investigate further, but suspect that there may have been packet flooding (would have run Wireshark if I cared).

* The one time that the ORBI network was able to automatically recover from the Satellite restart, it took about 6 minutes to return to a stable network.

* In order to recover the other times (waited for over 20 minutes), I had to manually remove the wired ethernet cables from the Satellites and re-start the RBR50.

After going through this testing multiple times myself, I carefully went through the steps again with Netgear Support allowing them to instruct me what to do (several times) to demonstrate the problem.  They have escalated to Level 2 support, but that was hours ago and I'm done (fortunately, Im able to return the product).  I need the wired backhaul.  Perhaps the product works well with just the wireless backhaul, and perhaps the postive reviews from the so-called independent reviewers are because none of the reviewers tested the wired backhaul properly.  I have security cameras attached to my network and can't afford to have my network go down when there is a power (or network glitch?).  I'm speculating that the same problem occurs with a network outage with the RBR50 because I think that occurred one time, but it was not a very controlled test.

I find it incredulous that the Netgear engineers do not seem to perform proper testing of this product's advertised features.  This problem, while not 100% repeatable, it is pretty easy to reproduce and people have been reporting similar problems for a long time, ever since they added support for wired backhaul. Perhaps they can shift some of their marketing resources to their testing.  I'm posting this information because I invested several days trying to make this system work, and perhaps the information will help others.  Just pay attention to the current firmware version when comparing to these test results, as maybe some day the Netgear engineers will provide a stable product that supports wired backhaul.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
cyberprashant
Luminary

Great documenting the wired backhaul glitchiness.  I don't doubt some people have gotten it working but for now it's not ready for primetime in my opinion.   Notably though, the wireless backhaul is pretty amazing.  I have ethernet capability and would like wired backhaul but have observed the same type of glitchiness u noted.  Until that stablizes by firmware, I'm going to run wireless.  Rest assured you are getting better wireless backhaul speeds than some wired systems out there (notably google wifi ethernet backhaul which got me lower speeds vs orbi wireless backhaul!!).  1 have 1 orbi and 3 satellites and getting amazing speeds all throughout.   (I'm keeping the PC's on wired ethernet via a switch).  Eventually hope to hook the orbi satellites via wired one-day.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the non managed swtich?

Did you also disable Daisy Chain before attempting to setup the wired backhaul? It should be disabled before configuring wired back haul.

Did you wait the 5 minutes per each satellite for the top led to turn on BLUE after connecting the ethernet between the router and satellite?

Also did you set up an IP address reservation for each satellite after you got them connected?

Was a factory reset performed on the system after the FW was updated to the most recent?

You can try the new beta to see if it works better for you:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

Other resources to check for good operation of wired back haul:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-10-kills-Internet-access-if-you-use-Ethernet-back...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...
Another initial setup process: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Backhaul-breaks-the-whole-network/m-p/1615770/highlight/true#M...

@stbach wrote:

Product: RBK53 (RBR50 Router + 2 RBS50 Satellites)

Firmware: v2.1.4.16

Configuration:

* All three nodes were reset (was told to hold for 30 seconds) and set up in same room using wireless backhaul.

* RBR50 WAN connected to unmanaged switch that is connected to Verizon FIOS router (previous tests connected directly to Verizon router, so the switch did not change behavior).

* Changed to AP Mode and fixed wifi 2.4 GHz channel to 11 (doubt that matters).  No other changes except admin password.

* After network stabilized, connected the two satellites to RBR50 using ethernet cable.

* Able to get system up an running and confirmed through web interface that Satellites showed as Wired with good backhaul status.

Testing Procedures:

* Have laptop with wired connecton to RBR50 and running continuous pings to my Verizon FIOS router.

* Have iPhone running Dr. Wifi tool running continuous pings.

* Power off one of the Satellites for 5-10 seconds.

Testing Results:

* The ORBI network becomes unstable whenever something changes, such as powering down a Satellite.  In about 6 tests, only once did the ORBI network recover from the Satellite Re-Start without manual intervention.

* During the instability, both the laptop wired connection through the RBR50 and the phone wifi had no internet connectivity.

* During the instability, when able to refresh the web interface to the connected devices, it showed that the ORBI network was switching between wireless 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz backhaul channels.

* During the instability, the ORBI network traffic seemed to cause performance problems with my other wired network devices that were connected to the Verizon router (separate from the ORBI devices).  I didn't investigate further, but suspect that there may have been packet flooding (would have run Wireshark if I cared).

* The one time that the ORBI network was able to automatically recover from the Satellite restart, it took about 6 minutes to return to a stable network.

* In order to recover the other times (waited for over 20 minutes), I had to manually remove the wired ethernet cables from the Satellites and re-start the RBR50.

After going through this testing multiple times myself, I carefully went through the steps again with Netgear Support allowing them to instruct me what to do (several times) to demonstrate the problem.  They have escalated to Level 2 support, but that was hours ago and I'm done (fortunately, Im able to return the product).  I need the wired backhaul.  Perhaps the product works well with just the wireless backhaul, and perhaps the postive reviews from the so-called independent reviewers are because none of the reviewers tested the wired backhaul properly.  I have security cameras attached to my network and can't afford to have my network go down when there is a power (or network glitch?).  I'm speculating that the same problem occurs with a network outage with the RBR50 because I think that occurred one time, but it was not a very controlled test.

I find it incredulous that the Netgear engineers do not seem to perform proper testing of this product's advertised features.  This problem, while not 100% repeatable, it is pretty easy to reproduce and people have been reporting similar problems for a long time, ever since they added support for wired backhaul. Perhaps they can shift some of their marketing resources to their testing.  I'm posting this information because I invested several days trying to make this system work, and perhaps the information will help others.  Just pay attention to the current firmware version when comparing to these test results, as maybe some day the Netgear engineers will provide a stable product that supports wired backhaul.

Message 3 of 5
stbach
Initiate

> What is the Mfr and model# of the non managed swtich?

I observed the same behavior when the unmanaged switch was eliminated and the RBR50 was plugged directly into one of the Verizon Router ethernet ports.  In any case, the switch is a Netgear GS108.  Another test could have been to isolate the RBR50 from the Verizon network and operate the RBR50 in router mode, since that could result in different behavior.  There is a lot of testing configurations that should be performed by Netgear, but it seems clear to me that they are quite deficient in this area.

> Did you also disable Daisy Chain before attempting to setup the wired backhaul? It should be disabled before configuring wired back haul.

No.  I tried to make the minimum changes necessary, and Netgear support did not indicate that Daisy Chain had to be disabled.  Perhaps it would be a useful test to perform, but I am boxed up and returning the product.

> Did you wait the 5 minutes per each satellite for the top led to turn on BLUE after connecting the ethernet between the router and satellite?

If I wait for the wireless bakhaul to be established before I connect the wired ethernet to the Satellites, then yes the network will recover.  But I think you miss the point of the problem -- if there is a power glitch, I should not have to manually choreograph the recovery of the network.

> Also did you set up an IP address reservation for each satellite after you got them connected?

No.  Perhaps another useful test to determine if it makes a difference, although the RBR50 seems to be able to discover the Satellites just fine without a fixed IP address.

> Was a factory reset performed on the system after the FW was updated to the most recent?

Yes.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck then.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation