Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK53v2 - is it compatible with 1 gig fibre broadband?

ZorroUK
Aspirant

RBK53v2 - is it compatible with 1 gig fibre broadband?

Hello,

I have had a Mesh WiFi system for awhile now and it has been great. I was on Virgin M500 but then after a moan about their increase in prices, they are transferring me to 1gig fibre broadband (which bizarrely now works out cheaper). They are sending over their hub 4 router. I currently have hub 3 acting as a modem to my RBK53 orbi system (use as router and two sallelites).

My question is whether my current system is actually compatible with 1Gig fibre broadband speed or would I need to upgrade to a newer orbi mesh system? Also if I did upgrade to say wifi 6, could my current satellites be added to a new upgraded system?

Thanks!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: RBK53v2 - is it compatible with 1 gig fibre broadband?

I've used the RBK53 with 1 gig service on comcast. You'll hit gig speeds on wired but not over wireless. 

Even if you upgraded to an AX system, you'd need to upgrade to AX devices if you wanted faster speeds. And you'd still need to be halfway close to the router to hit gig speeds over wireless. 

So its more a question of do you need faster wireless speeds and would you be able to tell a difference in everyday useage?

Debateable. I got an Orbi RBK53, RAX200/RAXE500 and can't tell much difference in everyday useage from one to the other unless I'm at a distance. Then the orbi is faster. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7