Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 40 sign on to 2 ghz channel

hearnrh
Aspirant

RBR 40 sign on to 2 ghz channel

I have some devices which will only connect to the network at 2.4 ghz.  They will not connect to the Orbi.  I have just one SSID and it is apparently just for the 5 ghz channel.  Can I set up another SSID for the 2 ghz?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR 40 sign on to 2 ghz channel

No, Orbi supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. 2.4Ghz devices will only see the 2.4Ghz radio coming from the Orbi.

Try disabling the 5Ghz SSID broadcase to see if your devices will connect. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings on the RBRs web page. 

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@hearnrh wrote:

I have some devices which will only connect to the network at 2.4 ghz.  They will not connect to the Orbi.  I have just one SSID and it is apparently just for the 5 ghz channel.  Can I set up another SSID for the 2 ghz?

Message 2 of 7
hearnrh
Aspirant

Got it - thanks.  Sure seems like a lot of work to get to that 2.4G channel.  Is there a reason to have hidden it?

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Hidden what? 

Message 4 of 7
hearnrh
Aspirant

I have worked through several other wifi routers over the years, including old Netgear units, and they had separate SSIDs for the two channels.  They were separate and you could choose which you logged into at any time.

The Orbi has just one SSDI, apparently, which seems to offer both channels but only the 5G gets used and devices which are looking for the 2.4G can't find it.  And there is no way to point them just to it with a separate SSDI.

That's what I called "hidden" and wonder why there aren't separate SSDIs.

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

AH. Ok well, those older routers didn't support something called Smart Connect. This wireless feature came out in 2012ish time frame. This feature is what yoru seeing on todays routers and Orbi MESH systems. This feature takes both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs for both radios and makes them only visible as 1 SSID name. The client devcie and Orbi figure out which frequency to have the device connect to automatically. Some of todays routers that support Smart Connect have some user configurations that allows you to disable it on those router. Orbi doesn't allow for this. Seems that the complexity of MESH and how Orbi works, NG wants this running all the time. They have allowed the temporary disabling of the SSID on ether radio however to help with some devices having setup issues getting connected to Orbi wifi. 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

This is a frequent discussion topic. Orbi's 2.4G channel is never "hidden."  The issue appears to be that some manufacturers programmed their 2.4G only devices poorly and whatever is controlling the device does not communicate the Orbi WiFi name correctly.

Here's an easy "proof."  Pull out one of your old cell phones that has only 2.4G WiFi.  (I have at least three in a drawer.  Was offered $10 trade-in and said, "I'll use it for a paperweight before I'll tsell it for $10.")  Charge it up and turn on WiFi.  It will "see" the Orbi 2.4G WiFi and happily connect.  The key is that the phone has a keyboard which can be used to enter the WiFi password. Camera setup programs often display a bar code which is held in front of the camera.

Yes, the situation is frustrating when you pull something out of the box and it won't connect.  I would love to have someone with practical experience with other modern mesh routers tell us what happens when connecting devices to them.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7