Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR/RBS50 FIRMWARE UPDATE general advice please

Jason7
Aspirant

RBR/RBS50 FIRMWARE UPDATE general advice please

Hi RBR50 v1 here, working fine for 2 years without any issues.

I am a naive user with little IT knowledge Smiley Happy

I have been reading alot of firmware update posts and the ensuing complex problems, and would greatly appreciate just some general advice for those of us who are casual users Smiley Happy

At the moment, the app states an update is available for my unit.  Orbilogin.com shows I currently have V 2.5.1.16 and V 2.5.2.4 is "available" for router and satellite..

So - for those of us naive users out here, is it possible to give some general advice?, ie:

1 - Only let the ORBI upgrade automatically?

2 - Only upgrade when the app shows an update is available, and update directly from the app?

3 - Actively check if if there is an update available at orbilogin.com/advanced/administration/firmware update, and download those updates periodically?

Many thanks,

Jason 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
alokeprasad
Mentor

My RBR/RBS50, purchased in November 2020 came with ver 2.5.2.4 on it.  It has been stable and doing fine.  Using wireless connection (backhaul) between the router base and the satellite.

As for firmware updates, each release has its own quirks.  Check here for abnormally high problem reports (there are always some problems with any update) before installing.

In general, if things are working fine, don't update just to get the latest version.  I make one exception to that: if an update is fixing some major security problems, especially if the problem is being exploited in the wild.

Unfortunately, Netgear releases quick fixes (which is good) but without extensive quality checks (which is bad).  They also don't expound in detail on what they are fixing and how severe the security issues they are fixing.

Summary: There's no good answer to your question.

PS: I am a user. Not a Netgear rep.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Unless NG pushes FW to your system. You can choose to update your FW to your system or not. If you get notifications on the RBRs web page about a FW udpate, this is only a FW notification. Means it's available to you IF you wanna update. You dont have too..

Some believe that if yoru system IS working fine, then you don't need to udpate. This is also recommended. However at some point NG may push a FW update to your system. 

Recommended FW version to use is v16 on 50 series Orbi...

@Jason7 wrote:

Hi RBR50 v1 here, working fine for 2 years without any issues.

I am a naive user with little IT knowledge Smiley Happy

I have been reading alot of firmware update posts and the ensuing complex problems, and would greatly appreciate just some general advice for those of us who are casual users Smiley Happy

At the moment, the app states an update is available for my unit.  Orbilogin.com shows I currently have V 2.5.1.16 and V 2.5.2.4 is "available" for router and satellite..

So - for those of us naive users out here, is it possible to give some general advice?, ie:

1 - Only let the ORBI upgrade automatically?

2 - Only upgrade when the app shows an update is available, and update directly from the app?

3 - Actively check if if there is an update available at orbilogin.com/advanced/administration/firmware update, and download those updates periodically?

Many thanks,

Jason 

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend using the RBRs web page to do any FW updated rather than the Orbi app. 

Message 4 of 14
Jason7
Aspirant

Thanks both for your advice.

FURRYe38 - one question please:

When you say "Unless NG pushes FW to your system" -- does that mean that NG automatically updates my units, ie, I do nothing in this case?

Many thanks,

Jason

Message 5 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jason7 wrote:

When you say "Unless NG pushes FW to your system" -- does that mean that NG automatically updates my units, ie, I do nothing in

Yes. When it first came out, Orbi was like many "Internet of Things" (IoT) devices.  It was supposed to "just work" without the user doing anything.  There were a number of firmware updates that happened silently in the night.  (As far as I am aware, the Nighthawk line of products NEVER did this. It was always up to the user to recognize that new firmware was available and decide to install it.) Alas, some of these updates caused major issues for users and there was a significant "Hue and Cry".  Since then, Netgear has floundered in regard to Orbi updates.  People post that their Orbi updated firmware without them doing anything to cause it.  The Orbi "app" will announce new firmware when the Orbi web interface claims "no new firmware available."  Orbi will announce new firmware that is not the "most recent" release.  Netgear also emails customers about "security update to firmware".  From my viewpoint, customers have good cause to be confused.

As things stand today, "old timers" recommend, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Leave it the hell alone."  If the Orbi is not working correctly, then a person has to balance the odds that (a) newer firmware will be "better" against, (b) newer firmware will either 'brick' the Orbi or will cause some new problem.

Will Netgear ever "push" new firmware to Orbi without the user doing anything?  NO ONE KNOWS.

Message 6 of 14
alokeprasad
Mentor

As a counterpoint to "don't fix what isn't broken", a firmware that has security vulnerabilities, especially if there are exploits in the wild, is broken. Netgear lists the vulnerabilities and fixes (in some cases) on

https://www.netgear.com/about/security/

If one chooses to stay with an older version, then it is a trade-off between stability and security.  But it should be an informed decision.  Like I said in my earlier post, Netgear may choose expediency over robust testing when releasing such hot-fixes.

Having been so preachy, I myself have not updated to the latest version.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, if your Orbi appears to have a fw update applied, you should be able to continue to use the system normally. Some have posted seeing issues after NG pushes FW. Some have not. One thing to try if you notice anything, Power OFF the RBS and RBR for 30 seconds then back on. Sometimes this resolves any odd problem seen after a auto FW update. 

Message 8 of 14
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

As a counterpoint to "don't fix what isn't broken", a firmware that has security vulnerabilities, especially if there are exploits in the wild, is broken. Netgear lists the vulnerabilities and fixes (in some cases) on

That's a matter of opinion.  

To keep things in perspective, NG used to push ALL firmware updates.  You had no choice.  Then users whined and cryed and wanted more choice and freedom.  Just thought you'd lke to know.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
alokeprasad
Mentor

My theory, FWIW, is that when Netgear is confidant about the quality and need for the update, they will put those up on the servers that feed the "check for update" feature on their device web interface.

Mine still is happy with 2.5.2.4.  I'm loath to recommend any newer version, except to grizzled veterans who are aware of the risks in doing so.

Message 10 of 14
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

My theory, FWIW, is that when Netgear is confidant about the quality and need for the update, they will put those up on the servers that feed the "check for update" feature on their device web interface.

Mine still is happy with 2.5.2.4.  I'm loath to recommend any newer version, except to grizzled veterans who are aware of the risks in doing so.

My sentiments exactly.  Be careful how you state your position in here.  Some don't take kind to such views.  Personal attacks run rampant.  My skin has thicken while existing here.

Thanks!

Message 11 of 14
Hitchfan
Aspirant

Sorry if this has been answered definitively but I want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I've had my ORBI since October 2019 and am happy with it overall.

It's on Firmware Version V1.4.0.18

Once in a while (such as today) I get a notice about a firmware update for security or other reasons. It tells me to go to router settings and scroll down to check for firmware update except mine never has anything that says check for firmware update or to tell me that the firmware has been updated. The only option when I scroll down is "reboot."

Your recommendations are welcome. Thank you.

Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

SInce your Orbi is on a old version of FW, you'll need to manually downloade a couple of versions of FW to bring your system into being able to see newer FW updates on the RBRs web page. v2.0.0.74 and v2.2.1.212 are steping versions of FW.

v1 FW versions won't see any newer FW updates from NG update servers. 

@Hitchfan wrote:

Sorry if this has been answered definitively but I want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I've had my ORBI since October 2019 and am happy with it overall.

It's on Firmware Version V1.4.0.18

Once in a while (such as today) I get a notice about a firmware update for security or other reasons. It tells me to go to router settings and scroll down to check for firmware update except mine never has anything that says check for firmware update or to tell me that the firmware has been updated. The only option when I scroll down is "reboot."

Your recommendations are welcome. Thank you.

Message 13 of 14
vajim
Master

The real question is why doesn't netgear update this automatically since it's so old.   Another flaw with the product?

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7