Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR dropping wifi connection

ipp
Follower
Follower

RBR dropping wifi connection

I have been using RBR50 for the past 3 years. Had no issues until last week. Wifi connection keps dropig off. Hae to reset the ruouterand it woks for a whil and requires resetting. I have reset the router at least 10 times in last 2 days. Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.104. 2.4MHX is set Ch #6 and 5GHZ is set to 48. Please help.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
Frankca2015
Aspirant

Re: RBR dropping wifi connection

Same here. Happened just from today. Working fine for the past three years and the time I had to restart the router in today is larger than all counted. 

The only thing that came to my mind is I've updated to 2.7.2.104 recently, nothing else changed. With that said, I think I've updated for around a week or two with no issue, but just happend today(Mar 15, 2021). 

I'm considering to downgrade to the orginal firmware, but I cannot remember that number.

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any RBS deployed? What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Try setting Auto on 2.4Ghz. 40 on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@ipp wrote:

I have been using RBR50 for the past 3 years. Had no issues until last week. Wifi connection keps dropig off. Hae to reset the ruouterand it woks for a whil and requires resetting. I have reset the router at least 10 times in last 2 days. Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.104. 2.4MHX is set Ch #6 and 5GHZ is set to 48. Please help.

Message 3 of 15
rubberbay
Tutor

Growling list of the same complaint here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/m5l3vk/orbi_dropping_dns/

Message 4 of 15
vajim
Master

@rubberbay wrote:

Growling list of the same complaint here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/m5l3vk/orbi_dropping_dns/

Thanks

Perhaps lets share this with my friends:

@FURRYe38 

@BoilerPlate 

@Ha_Ku_Na 

Message 5 of 15
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

I'm on 2.7.2.104 and using a pi-hole as DNS server (configured in Orbi "Use These DNS Servers" -> only pi-hole IP configured in "Primary DNS"). Never saw this issue.

If someone has issues with his Orbi system I suggest this procedure:

1) take a backup of the config on Orbi

2) Reset to factory default

3) setup Orbi and reload the saved config from step 1

If this does not help, then we can think about a firmware downgrade or reapply of the same firmware file again.

Message 6 of 15
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

I'm on 2.7.2.104 and using a pi-hole as DNS server (configured in Orbi "Use These DNS Servers" -> only pi-hole IP configured in "Primary DNS"). Never saw this issue.

If someone has issues with his Orbi system I suggest this procedure:

1) take a backup of the config on Orbi

2) Reset to factory default

3) setup Orbi and reload the saved config from step 1

If this does not help, then we can think about a firmware downgrade or reapply of the same firmware file again.

Your suggestions are already proven to be of no help.  Read the 100's of posts in here.  Then on top of that you tell people to reapply the same firmware.  Now that's superior advice.

The moderators here will be telling you to remove you disclaimer flame.  

Message 7 of 15
BoilerPlate
Apprentice
vajim
Master

@BoilerPlate 

@Ha_Ku_Na 

Hey here's an idea.....instead of you two beating me up, what don't you channel your energy and actually help someone.

Pick one of these posts where the user is having problems after a firmware update, reply/quote to it and share your bountiful knowledge.

Brillant

Message 9 of 15
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@vajim wrote:

Hey here's an idea.....instead of you two beating me up, what don't you channel your energy and actually help someone.

Pick one of these posts where the user is having problems after a firmware update, reply/quote to it and share your bountiful knowledge.

Brillant

I would do that, but as long you are spamming all posts with "do a firmware downgrade / revert firmare / .." I do not see a good reason to try to give some real help here ... The only thing I can do is to warn the community from time to time ...

Message 10 of 15
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

@vajim 

Hey here's an idea.....instead of you trolling, badgering users that DO help others, posting false and inaccruate information, why don't you channel your energy and actually help someone with good infornation and work with others who are clearly helping users who ask for help instead of false claiming it's a firmware problem. Not all problems are firmware related. And yes firmware DOES work for some people. Why not work the problem to find out what the real problem is. It's what the forum is for. Oh but thats beyond your capabilities and comprehension. Sorry. I forgot. My bad. Smiley Sad

Pick one of these posts where the user is having problems after a firmware update, and avoid reply/quote to it and avoid your bountiful knowledge.

Brillant 

Message 11 of 15
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Brillant

I would do that, but as long you are spamming all posts with "do a firmware downgrade / revert firmare / .." I do not see a good reason to try to give some real help here ... The only thing I can do is to warn the community from time to time ...

That's lame.  But why should posts stop you or anyone.  @FURRYe38 ignores me all the time.

Go ahead....help away....we'll see if you can actually unscrew these problems.  Who knows you might be a hero.

Message 12 of 15
vajim
Master

@BoilerPlate wrote:

@vajim 

Hey here's an idea.....instead of you trolling, badgering users that DO help others, posting false and inaccruate information, why don't you channel your energy and actually help someone with good infornation and work with others who are clearly helping users who ask for help instead of false claiming it's a firmware problem. Not all problems are firmware related. And yes firmware DOES work for some people. Why not work the problem to find out what the real problem is. It's what the forum is for. Oh but thats beyond your capabilities and comprehension. Sorry. I forgot. My bad. Smiley Sad

Pick one of these posts where the user is having problems after a firmware update, and avoid reply/quote to it and avoid your bountiful knowledge.

Brillant 

That's lame.  But why should my posts stop you or anyone.  @FURRYe38 ignores me all the time.  It sounds like you enjoy more fun beating me up.

Go ahead....help away....we'll see if you can actually unscrew these problems.  Who knows you might be a hero.

Message 13 of 15
Frankca2015
Aspirant

I've downgraded to the previous firmware and so far I did not experiense any disconnection.

As just a user, I really do not want to know how to set some complex parameters in advanced settings, I just need it work as expected. So from my point of view, latest firmware has defect but the previous not. Shouldn't the responsibility of Netgear to analysis into the latest fw to fix this? Why ppl are here being mean to each other?

Message 14 of 15
vajim
Master

@Frankca2015 wrote:

I've downgraded to the previous firmware and so far I did not experiense any disconnection.

As just a user, I really do not want to know how to set some complex parameters in advanced settings, I just need it work as expected. So from my point of view, latest firmware has defect but the previous not. Shouldn't the responsibility of Netgear to analysis into the latest fw to fix this? Why ppl are here being mean to each other?

Hi @Frankca2015 

We're glad things are for the better.  

No one in here is being mean.  Sometimes we disagree, but at the end of the day, we're all learning and sharing.  Thanks for your post.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7