Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 Assinging 169 ip addess to my sony tv.

jumpinomega
Aspirant

RBR20 Assinging 169 ip addess to my sony tv.

Please help. I have an Orbi that is;

• Assigning a 169. ip address to my sony tv that is 2 years old. This is a random occurance that will last for multiple days and then return to a valid ip address.
  • 2 or 3 Orbi networks available for use (I only have 1 orbi with No added satalites)

I would really like to get this issue resolved.

I do have a sound bar that is wired to the tv. I have unplugged the sound bar from the tv for multiple days, to see if the sound bar was causing an interference, but this has proven to not resolve the strange ip address.

I have tried to assign a static ip address as well with no luck.

I have gone to the netgear website and checked the advanced setting to make sure that the tv is not blocked.

Any help would be wonderful.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR20 Assinging 169 ip addess to my sony tv.

@jumpinomega wrote:

I still worry about the multiple SSID networks that are showing for the one SSID network. ...An issue for another day.

Two I can understand (2.4G and 5G).  More than two is harder to explain.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
theoak
Luminary

Your Orbi ... access point mode ... or ... router mode?

My guess is access point mode?

Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure to set a custom SSID name to your RBR wifi. So you know what SSID name to connect to for all of your wifi devices. 

Do other devices get connected to Orbi sucessfully? 

@jumpinomega wrote:

• Assigning a 169. ip address to my sony tv that is 2 years old. This is a random occurance that will last for multiple days and then return to a valid ip address.
  • 2 or 3 Orbi networks available for use (I only have 1 orbi with No added satalites)

I would really like to get this issue resolved.

I do have a sound bar that is wired to the tv. I have unplugged the sound bar from the tv for multiple days, to see if the sound bar was causing an interference, but this has proven to not resolve the strange ip address.

I have tried to assign a static ip address as well with no luck.

I have gone to the netgear website and checked the advanced setting to make sure that the tv is not blocked.

Any help would be wonderful.

Message 3 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@jumpinomega wrote:

IP addresses from 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254 are "Automatic Private Addressing" IP's that the device gives itself when it is unable to get an IP address from the network:

https://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html 

Can you please explain "2 or 3 Orbi....".  Are we talking about the Sony connecting to 1 Orbi, or ???

How was the "static IP" assigned to the Sony TV?

• Using the Sony network setup to define the IP as "static" and also enter the Gateway and DNS IP addresses? or
  • Creating an IP assignment on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup?

If the Sony is configured with a static IP (on the Sony), then it is critical that no other device on the network get that IP address by accident.  That would create an "ARP conflict" where two devices claim ownership of the same IP address, and the Sony might decide "oh, s**t, I can't use the IP I want to."

So, how the Sony is set up and how the Orbi DHCP/LAN assignments are configured may hold the key to this mystery.

Message 4 of 19
jumpinomega
Aspirant

The orbi is in router mode.

Message 5 of 19
jumpinomega
Aspirant

• V2.3.5.30

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

• Spectrum, Modem Model # E31T2V1

Be sure to set a custom SSID name to your RBR wifi. So you know what SSID name to connect to for all of your wifi devices. 

• I will do this today.

• There are certain devices: my sons tablet, Google Hub, and one of our Nintendo Switches.
  • I frequently loose wifi to all devices. This is random. I can have 2 devices running or 16 devices running. Sometimes we can go a whole week without loosing connection and then some days we loose connection repeatedly. 
  • I have rebooted the Orbi a few times. But I do not like doing this because it can take upto 24 hours before the Orbi connects all devices again.
  • I have 200 mbps from Spectrum.
Message 6 of 19
jumpinomega
Aspirant

Can you please explain "2 or 3 Orbi....".  Are we talking about the Sony connecting to 1 Orbi, or ???

• When I "forget my wireless network" and then look for my wifi  network, I will see 2 or 3 Orbi networks available. I can click on each one of them, enter my password on all three and they all accept the password. 

• Using the Sony network setup to define the IP as "static" and also enter the Gateway and DNS IP addresses? or This is the way that I did it.
  • Creating an IP assignment on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup?

If the Sony is configured with a static IP (on the Sony), then it is critical that no other device on the network get that IP address by accident.  That would create an "ARP conflict" where two devices claim ownership of the same IP address, and the Sony might decide "oh, s**t, I can't use the IP I want to." 

• I made sure to assign a unique ip address to the Sony tv. I checked the ip addresses of all other devices to make sure that I did not duplicate. 

So, how the Sony is set up and how the Orbi DHCP/LAN assignments are configured may hold the key to this mystery.

• How so? I would love to get this figured out so that my family and I can stop getting cut off from the world.
Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@jumpinomega wrote:

• V2.3.5.30

• Spectrum, Modem Model # E31T2V1

• I will do this today.

• There are certain devices: my sons tablet, Google Hub, and one of our Nintendo Switches.
  • I frequently loose wifi to all devices. This is random. I can have 2 devices running or 16 devices running. Sometimes we can go a whole week without loosing connection and then some days we loose connection repeatedly. 
  • I have rebooted the Orbi a few times. But I do not like doing this because it can take upto 24 hours before the Orbi connects all devices again.
  • I have 200 mbps from Spectrum.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 8 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@jumpinomega wrote:

• When I "forget my wireless network" and then look for my wifi  network, I will see 2 or 3 Orbi networks available. I can click on each one of them, enter my password on all three and they all accept the password. This is fascinating.  Does every WiFi device you have do this or only some of them?

• Using the Sony network setup to define the IP as "static" and also enter the Gateway and DNS IP addresses? or This is the way that I did it.
  • I made sure to assign a unique ip address to the Sony tv. I checked the ip addresses of all other devices to make sure that I did not duplicate. 

On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN setup there is a section for "Use Router as DHCP Server".  Is the IP address that the Sony is using in the range of addresses shown in the boxes for Starting and Ending IP address.  It should NOT be.

I neglected to ask which model Sony TV this is.  Would like to search for that model and Auto IP assignment problems.  My Sony TV is about 1 year old and it just started popping up a notice about new firmware.

Message 9 of 19
jumpinomega
Aspirant

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

• I am only running the main orbi. I do not have the satalite hooked up because the orbi would not recognise it....? Another issue.
  • My orbi router is only a few inches from the modem.
  • I live in a 1200 sq ft home. All devices seem to receive a good signal from any area of the home.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

• Which channel would be best? Or does it matter?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

• We have 5 neighbors with wifi at the moment.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

• Enabled Beamforming and MIMO
  • WMM already enabled
Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Can you find out what channels there using? Use a pad and wifi analizer to see what channels your neighbors are using on there wifi systems. 

Does the TV see the SSID name from the RBR?

May need to get the RBS connected up. Try this at some point...

The RBS needs to be at the same firmware version as the RBR is using. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS and RBSY. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minute. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. it will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Message 11 of 19
jumpinomega
Aspirant

This is fascinating.  Does every WiFi device you have do this or only some of them?

• No, just the Sony TV

On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN setup there is a section for "Use Router as DHCP Server".  Is the IP address that the Sony is using in the range of addresses shown in the boxes for Starting and Ending IP address.  It should NOT be.

• It is in the range of the 2 ip addresses. All of my other devices are within those two ranges as well. 

I neglected to ask which model Sony TV this is.  Would like to search for that model and Auto IP assignment problems.  My Sony TV is about 1 year old and it just started popping up a notice about new firmware.

• Model # XBR-65X850F
Message 12 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

The Sony TV should not have a static IP address that is in the range of IP's that the Orbi will hand out to device which ask for one.

Can you move it outside the range?

If the range now goes from 1 to 254, just make it from 1 to 200 and set the TV to 201.

(or 1 to anything and set the TV to one higher.)

Message 13 of 19
jumpinomega
Aspirant

My tv has wifi again. The orbi has assigned an ip and all is right in the world again. My husband will be happy. 

Now I just need to make sure that it doesn't keep happening. 

To clarify, if I set a manual static ip address, I need to make sure that the ip address is outside of the range of the ip addresses used by the orbi, correct? 

Message 14 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@jumpinomega wrote:

To clarify, if I set a manual static ip address, I need to make sure that the ip address is outside of the range of the ip addresses used by the orbi, correct? 

Yes, that is correct.

Message 15 of 19
jumpinomega
Aspirant

Okay. Thank you for your help. You have saved my family from an expensive Geek Squad visit. Plus, I feel that I am a lot more aware of the way my wifi works now. 

Message 16 of 19
jumpinomega
Aspirant

It looks like my wifi is back up and running  on my TV. Not sure what made it talk to the Orbi though. 

Thank you for your help today. I greatly appreciate it. Hopefully, the reconfiguations that you recommended have fixed the issue. 

I still worry about the multiple SSID networks that are showing for the one SSID network. ...An issue for another day.

Thank you again for your help.

Message 17 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@jumpinomega wrote:

Two I can understand (2.4G and 5G).  More than two is harder to explain.

Message 18 of 19
jumpinomega
Aspirant

Hmm, that makes sence for the two SSID names. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7