Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 Internet drops when setting static IP

Taz_AU
Tutor

RBR20 Internet drops when setting static IP

Hi,

I am trying to enable VPN on my Orbi RBR20.  I am aware I need to set a static IP and I have a static IP from my ISP.  When I set the Orbi to use a static IP so that I can enable the VPN I lose internet connectivity.  If I dont have the static IP selected the Orbi will not enable VPN. 

Just to cover off - I know how to turn on the static IP on the Orbi (

How do I manually enter a static IP address for my Orbi router?

)

The issue is when I do this I lose internet connectivity.  I am putting in the correct IP addresss etc per my ISP.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Taz_AU wrote:

I am trying to enable VPN on my Orbi RBR20.  I am aware I need to set a static IP and I have a static IP from my ISP.  When I set the Orbi to use a static IP so that I can enable the VPN I lose internet connectivity.  If I dont have the static IP selected the Orbi will not enable VPN.

Orbi does not require a static IP to enable OpenVPN. I have OpenVPN enabled on two Orbi systems and neither has a static IP.

Setting a static IP is done on the Orbi web interface, Basic Tab, Internet Menu.  In addition to the IP itself, the subnet mask and gateway IP must be correct (the ISP should have supplied those).  In addition, my guess is that the DNS servers must be defined rather than "Get automatically from ISP".  Without the subnet mask, gateway, and DSN entries, there will be no interent.

Message 2 of 7
Taz_AU
Tutor

Thanks but my Orbi will not enable VPN unless static IP is set up. The other option is to enable dynamic dns. Is that what you did?

As mentioned I have found the correct setting page and entered all three IP addresses and the DNS address. It’s when I do this that I lose connection
Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Taz_AU wrote:
Thanks but my Orbi will not enable VPN unless static IP is set up. The other option is to enable dynamic dns. Is that what you did?

As mentioned I have found the correct setting page and entered all three IP addresses and the DNS address. It’s when I do this that I lose connection

It has been two years since I set up OpenVPN. I do not remember any option besides DDNS, which is what I did.

(Probably being picky, but...) You entered the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway. Not three IP addresses, correct?

Do you have a computer that can be connected directly to the ISP modem?  (desktop, laptop?)  I would set that computer to the static IP parameters provided by the ISP and connect it directly to the modem.

Message 4 of 7
Taz_AU
Tutor

Hi, yes the subnet mask and gateway are set correctly.

I will try to do it with DDNS rather than a static and see if it works.
Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I have always been to cheap to pay for a static IP address, so I have no experience with "how it works".

When you look at the IP address that has been assigned by the ISP, does it match the static IP address that you got from them?

Getting a static IP address to work has no logical connection with OpenVPN.  If the Orbi loses internet when the static IP information is entered, that is a much bigger problem than OpenVPN.

Message 6 of 7
Taz_AU
Tutor

Yes, all details are correct.  I am assuming its something to do with the NBN box (in Australia).  I will look in detail over the weekend when I can live without internet.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7