Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 Sat not syncing on AP mode+Wired backhaul

samlee
Aspirant

RBR20 Sat not syncing on AP mode+Wired backhaul

Hello,

I've just bought RBK20 package and am trying to install under my existing network.

Since my sat install location is not available to receive 5G nor 2.4G wireless signal well from Orbi router, I'm wishing to install sat by wired backhaul mode.

Current network topology:

ISP modem -> main router(Mikrotik hEX) -> RBR20

-> GS108Ev3 switch (under same VLAN, untagged) -> RBS20

Current Firmware: 2.3.5.36 (both router and sat)

I've turned on AP mode at Orbi router, and confirmed all configurations for wireless is properly configured.

I've tried to sync when sat is connected to switch and failed, but after syncing sat by directly connecting to orbi router then connecting sat to switch I've confirmed that sat is recognized on orbi router, and connected but is indicating that is using wireless backhaul.

Obvious thing is that when I disconnect ethernet from sat to switch, since it is indicating sat is connected to router with wireless backhaul, it should be connected work properly, but on orbi router it says sat is not connected, and also network connection via satellite was not available.

Plus, even if Orbi router is down and not available, sat is offering Wi-Fi and indicating that itself is connected and syncing to router.

Turning both router and satellite on, and after confirming both router side and satellite side that sat is connected to router, I've tried to check that handoff is properly working by copying large file from NAS to my laptop, but at Orbi router side my laptop is recognized as Wired connection and handoff is not performed.

Is it impossible to use wired backhaul in this case? or should I change some configuration in order to set wired backhaul? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR20 Sat not syncing on AP mode+Wired backhaul

Your switch you have is a managed switch. Disable ALL IGMP protocols on the switch. Also this switch supports "Energy Efficient Ethernet (IEEE 802.3az)" which also is problematic for Orbi. See if this can be disabled as well. If not, and the RBS still has problems keeping connected with this switch in between, find a non managed, non green ethernet switch to put in its place. 

@samlee wrote:

Hello,

I've just bought RBK20 package and am trying to install under my existing network.

Since my sat install location is not available to receive 5G nor 2.4G wireless signal well from Orbi router, I'm wishing to install sat by wired backhaul mode.

Current network topology:

ISP modem -> main router(Mikrotik hEX) -> RBR20

-> GS108Ev3 switch (under same VLAN, untagged) -> RBS20

Current Firmware: 2.3.5.36 (both router and sat)

I've turned on AP mode at Orbi router, and confirmed all configurations for wireless is properly configured.

I've tried to sync when sat is connected to switch and failed, but after syncing sat by directly connecting to orbi router then connecting sat to switch I've confirmed that sat is recognized on orbi router, and connected but is indicating that is using wireless backhaul.

Obvious thing is that when I disconnect ethernet from sat to switch, since it is indicating sat is connected to router with wireless backhaul, it should be connected work properly, but on orbi router it says sat is not connected, and also network connection via satellite was not available.

Plus, even if Orbi router is down and not available, sat is offering Wi-Fi and indicating that itself is connected and syncing to router.

Turning both router and satellite on, and after confirming both router side and satellite side that sat is connected to router, I've tried to check that handoff is properly working by copying large file from NAS to my laptop, but at Orbi router side my laptop is recognized as Wired connection and handoff is not performed.

Is it impossible to use wired backhaul in this case? or should I change some configuration in order to set wired backhaul? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Message 2 of 4
samlee
Aspirant

Changed connection to RBS20 to Mikrotik -> RBS20 -> GS108E, but is still not being connected. Is there something that should be changed on Mikrotik side?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Try Mikrotik > RBR > RBS. 

RBS needs to be directly connected to the RBR or thru a non managed non green ethernet switch. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7