Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 (V2.5.1.16) - connected device does not appear in Attached Devices page

felicem
Aspirant

RBR20 (V2.5.1.16) - connected device does not appear in Attached Devices page

Hello Community,

Several connected devices with internet access are not appearing in the "Attached Devices" page.

Instead, these devices appear in the "list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network" in the "Access Control" page with connection type = Wired !

I've tried turning off access control and rebooting the router, no luck. These devices are all using DHCP and are not in any address reservation list.

Is this a known bug with firmware version 2.5.1.16 ?

Regards,
Felice

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
Mstrbig
Master

Re: RBR20 (V2.5.1.16) - connected device does not appear in Attached Devices page

@felicem wrote:

Hello Community,

Several connected devices with internet access are not appearing in the "Attached Devices" page.

Instead, these devices appear in the "list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network" in the "Access Control" page with connection type = Wired !

I've tried turning off access control and rebooting the router, no luck. These devices are all using DHCP and are not in any address reservation list.

Is this a known bug with firmware version 2.5.1.16 ?

Regards,
Felice

No bug as I run the same firmware. Are the devices wired or wireless? Reboot the system and see if it corrects it.

Message 2 of 15
felicem
Aspirant

Hi Mstrbig,

Thanks for your reply.

Devices are wireless. Reboot did not resolve my issue.

If this isn't a bug I don't know what can be classified as a one ;-).

/Felice

Message 3 of 15
felicem
Aspirant

E.g. My niece just connected her macbook to my guest network, it appears in the list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network as a wired device.

This is not a bug ???

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Are the RBS connected? If so, are they connected via ethernet cable to the RBR? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@felicem wrote:

E.g. My niece just connected her macbook to my guest network, it appears in the list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network as a wired device.

This is not a bug ???

Message 5 of 15
felicem
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38,

I have 2x RBS connected wirelessly.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?\

No. This will be last resort. I would just like someone from Netgear supprt to acknowledge that this is an obvious bug and possibly try any ohter remedy other than factory reset.

Thanks for taking time to respond.

/Felice

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

While others haven't reported seeing this recently, this maybe just a bad state of the RBR and RBS. Thus a full factory reset would be needed and also clear out all browser caches from your web browser as well. Set up the RBR and RBS from scratch and then check the attached devices web page on the RBR to see if anything changes. If it doesn't then you'll need to contact NG support about this. 

Message 7 of 15
Mstrbig
Master

@felicem wrote:

Hi FURRYe38,

I have 2x RBS connected wirelessly.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?\

No. This will be last resort. I would just like someone from Netgear supprt to acknowledge that this is an obvious bug and possibly try any ohter remedy other than factory reset.

Thanks for taking time to respond.

/Felice

when I run into the app not giving proper information, I reboot the system. I just removed an RBS40v from my system. Even though it was gone the app and WEB GUI were reporting it as running wirelessly. Even when I tchecked for firmware update it showed the RBS40V and update failed. I rebooted the Orbi system through the WEB GUI and everything corrected. I have found this in many cases when unplugging/pluging/moving satellites, or changing configurations.

Message 8 of 15
felicem
Aspirant

Hi Mstrbig,

Everything I described was from Web GUI, not the Orbi app.

Reboot from Web GUI did not help. I still end up with connected wireless devices showing up in "list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network" as wried devices.

So far it's looking like factory reset is my only option. Will give it a few days to hopefully hear back from Netgear support engineer on this forum to see if there are any other options.

No matter what angle we look at this from .... this is an obvious fault in the Orbi firmware.

Thanks for all your tips,

Felice

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So while you wait on NG support, if you can find time, do the reset on the system as suggested and see if this helps resolve the issue. NG will ask you about this as well. Something to let them know that you have done this. 

Message 10 of 15
felicem
Aspirant

Sure, looks like I will not have any other option.

Will let you know how it goes :).

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Once you complete the setup and get it all running, do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This will help save time if a reset is needed in the future. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 15
felicem
Aspirant

Hi,

Very sad to report that a hard factory reset did not resolve it.

My smartphone is currently connected ... yet I see it in the "list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network" as a wired device. I even doublechecked that the MAC address shown in this list is indeed my smartphone MAC address by going to About phone -> Status.

Wondering if there are any commands I can execute in Orbi debug mode to further troubleshoot this ?

This is a very annoying issue, wish I could report this as a fault with Netgear but my warranty is over ... I don't understand how Netgear can improve their products if there is no way to report bugs even after warranty period is over .... blows my mind.

/Felice

Message 13 of 15
teocannata
Aspirant

Hi Felice,

did you solve the problem? Same identical problem here.

Attached devices webpage is missing randomly devices that are correctly connected and working.

I can see the in the Satellite's dedicated page but the are missing on the router Attached devices page.

Same as you I see them also in the "list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network" but with Wired as connection type.

I tried tons of reboot, switch off-on, factory reset restoring settings, factory reset putting everything from scratch, upgrade and downgrade.

The only thing that, at the moment, worked was a downgrade to the version 2.3.5.30 but I couldn't use it because it was have issues on some devices that couldn't keep the connection stable.

So ,at the end, I am now with Router version 2.6.1.36 and Satellite version 2.6.1.38, those are the latest versions but STILL have this problem.

Waiting for new version to see if this bug will be addressed, I'm not afraid of resetting everything ten times more...I'm now a guru on that and moreover the usual answer is reboot....reset...reboot...reset...

By the way I think it's not acceptable that a company like Netgear is releasing new firmwares that always have problems.

If you had the chance to find a solution please share it 🙂

Thanks,

Matteo

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 15
felicem
Aspirant

Ciao Matteo,

I resolved it by selling my Orbi's and switching to ASUS :).

I find it extremely frustrating and disappointing that Netgear will not fix a clear bug in their firmware, and ask for $$$ for a support plan.

I switched to ASUS GT-AX1100 and RT-AX92U, using Aimesh ... works like a charm and I am getting excellent support from them.

Good luck and best regards,
/Felice

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7