Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 regularly drops internet connection

etroutsky7
Aspirant

RBR20 regularly drops internet connection

Over the last couple weeks I have been losing Internet Wi-Fi connection several times a day for no apparent reason. To reconnect, I reboot manually or remotely. It will reconnect after going through that process, but this process will happen numerous times/day. Any recommendations?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR20 regularly drops internet connection

Are wired connections also dropping connections as well?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@etroutsky7 wrote:
To reconnect, I reboot manually or remotely. It will reconnect after going through that process, but this process will happen numerous times/day. Any recommendations?

Could you please explain more about how you reboot the Orbi remotely?  It seems inconsistent with "losing internet".  We have several posts going about Orbi's Domain Name Service (DNS) process failing.

The next time this happens, it would be helpful to the discussion if you could do a couple of quick tests:

• Try to connect to some resource using the IP address rather than the domain name.
    Such as ping 1.1.1.1 or ping 8.8.8.8
  • Then try to ping using the domain name
    i.e. ping one.one.one.one or ping dns.google
  • Rather than reboot, first try to "Test" the internet connection
    On the Orbi web interface, select the "Internet" menu item, then up at the top of the screen, click on the "Test" button.
    This may take a few seconds, but not nearly as long as rebooting.

If the "ping by IP" works, but the "ping by name" fails, this is evidence that the internet connection has not dropped, but that the Orbi is no longer resolving names.  (The subject of those posts.)

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
etroutsky7
Aspirant

Thanks so much for all your help! I understood about 1/3 of what you said. Tech is not a strong point for me. I will attempt to implement the things you mentioned and get back to you. Here are a few initial responses to your questions. Unfortunately I may end up being an exercise in patience for you. My apologies in advance…

1. I have no wired connections.
2. Firmware: .26. I’ve seen in posts that .30 and .36 are available. I have checked for updates through the app. It won’t update.
3. I have not attempted to log into the network through my laptop. I will try this.
4. Home is 5K sq ft, tri-level home. Router is on lower level with a satellite on each of the upper levels. Based on 9 foot ceilings, the furthest satellite is less than 30 feet away from the router.
5. What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
- Hmmm. This is where you start losing me. I believe I’m on auto. How do I switch to MANUAL?
6. Any Wifi Neighbors near by? Approx 10
7. When you started into the next section on Beamforming, my brain just exploded. Yeah. No idea🤪😂
8. Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? No. Nor do I know how to do that. Sorry, master Jedi. I’m not a very good apprentice.
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

any thing closer than 30 feet is too close. 

Use a wired PC or laptop and a web brower to connect to the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com. Make any changes as suggested here. 

If a reseis needed: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4
https://www.howtogeek.com/434350/how-to-factory-reset-a-router/

@etroutsky7 wrote:
Thanks so much for all your help! I understood about 1/3 of what you said. Tech is not a strong point for me. I will attempt to implement the things you mentioned and get back to you. Here are a few initial responses to your questions. Unfortunately I may end up being an exercise in patience for you. My apologies in advance…

1. I have no wired connections.
2. Firmware: .26. I’ve seen in posts that .30 and .36 are available. I have checked for updates through the app. It won’t update.
3. I have not attempted to log into the network through my laptop. I will try this.
4. Home is 5K sq ft, tri-level home. Router is on lower level with a satellite on each of the upper levels. Based on 9 foot ceilings, the furthest satellite is less than 30 feet away from the router.
5. What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
- Hmmm. This is where you start losing me. I believe I’m on auto. How do I switch to MANUAL?
6. Any Wifi Neighbors near by? Approx 10
7. When you started into the next section on Beamforming, my brain just exploded. Yeah. No idea🤪😂
8. Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? No. Nor do I know how to do that. Sorry, master Jedi. I’m not a very good apprentice.

Message 5 of 7
etroutsky7
Aspirant

How do I reboot remotely? Through the app. I go to Settings>Router Settings>Reboot
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Does that work for you?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements