Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 set-up problems

brissle20
Aspirant

RBR20 set-up problems

Hello everyone, P{lease can someone help / advise me?

We are older people, not very computer expert so much of the language used by professionals is not understandable by us.

We habe rubbish WiFi at home and after reading several articles decided that an Orbi Mesh system should make things better.

We have a PC plugged direct in to the router supplied by Virgin media (has been updated a year ago) and that is suppoosed to provide WiFi throughout the house.  But we have thick, soldid stone walls and many rooms have no signal.  So our laptop and tablet and mobile phone struggle to work outside the office area.

So we bought the Orbi RBR 20 and did our best to fopllow the instructions on the app which we downloaded.

We have set up the orbi router, plugged in to the Virgin media router and have placed both sattellites in suitable places.  Bur when we try to start the set up by linking the phone (an Apple iPhone 5) we keep getting the message "Orbi Not Found".   We Googled the problem and have tried re-starting the main router and the Orbi router, but nothing changes.  The lights are out on the sattellites, but the main Orbi router is still glowing.

There's a sort-of signal downstairs, but the Hudl tablet won;t connect.

Is it all supposed to be one same WiFi network everywhere?  Why can't we make the connection?

Would be very grateful for answers that amateurs can understand!

Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@brissle20 wrote:

Hello everyone, P{lease can someone help / advise me?

We are older people, not very computer expert so much of the language used by professionals is not understandable by us.

We habe rubbish WiFi at home and after reading several articles decided that an Orbi Mesh system should make things better.

We have a PC plugged direct in to the router supplied by Virgin media (has been updated a year ago) and that is suppoosed to provide WiFi throughout the house.  But we have thick, solid stone walls and many rooms have no signal.  So our laptop and tablet and mobile phone struggle to work outside the office area.

So we bought the Orbi RBR 20 and did our best to fopllow the instructions on the app which we downloaded.

We have set up the orbi router, plugged in to the Virgin media router and have placed both sattellites in suitable places.  Bur when we try to start the set up by linking the phone (an Apple iPhone 5) we keep getting the message "Orbi Not Found".   We Googled the problem and have tried re-starting the main router and the Orbi router, but nothing changes.  The lights are out on the sattellites, but the main Orbi router is still glowing.

There's a sort-of signal downstairs, but the Hudl tablet won;t connect.

Is it all supposed to be one same WiFi network everywhere?  Why can't we make the connection?

This is really awkward.  There are two separate issues (a) setting up the router using the Orbi "app", and (b) getting satellites to function.

a. Setup

(Confession: I do not use the "app" to set up Orbi WiFi.  Being "even older", I am only comfortable with using a web browser connected directly to the Orbi router.) When the Orbi is first turned on, it is supposed to broadcast a WiFi signal with the credentials printed on the product label (on the bottom of the router - and sometimes on a plastic sleeve around the router which people immediately throw away).  It is almost always "ORBI" plus two digits.  The iPhone needs to connect to this WiFi signal in order to search for the Orbi.  Of course, the Orbi WAN port will have to be connected to the Virgin media hub (and once the Orbi is working, the PC should be unplugged from Virgin media hub and plugged into the Orbi.)

b. Satellites

This is the awkward part. Orbi is designed for the satellites to communicate with the router over a WiFi signal.  If the stone walls block the existing Virgin media WiFi from reaching other rooms, they will almost certainly interfere with the Orbi router-satellite connection.  The procedure is this: Plug in a satellite (temporarily) in the same room as the router. Power it on and "Add it."  Once added, the satellite should glow blue at the top (called the "ring light") for up to two minutes and then have no light.

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

After the satellite is working, move it to the desired location and turn it on again.  If the ring light turns blue, service will be great.  If it turns amber, the connection is poor.  If it turns magenta, the connection is too poor to function.

Message 2 of 5
brissle20
Aspirant

I discovered this reply in my junk mail this evening.

Will look at it again tomorrow and respond.

Thank you so much for the suggestions.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

"Junk Mail" pretty much sums up my life right now. (sigh)

I really hate to be discouraging. Stone and concrete are horrible impediments to WiFi.  This type of wall makes installing ethernet cables for backhaul impractical unless you really enjoy drilling holes..  What many people have done is use PowerLine adapters with the existing electrical wiring to connect the satellites to the router.  Alas, many older buildings also have "older wiring" which sometimes is not suitable for PowerLine.

Message 4 of 5
brissle20
Aspirant

That's brilliant advice.  Many thanks - we now seem to have a working Orbi system.

Your suggestions were enough help for us to work out where we were going wrong.

Trying to set up from the Orbi App on an iPhone is not a good idea for amateurs.

The original instructions didn't tell me which port to plug in the ethernet cable, so I had it in the wrong hole.

We were also not told to plug the PC into Orbi - once we did that the PC took over and we did the set-up and updating of software from there. So much easier than on a fiddly phone screen.

Instructions are not at all clear - luckily we understood enough to make out what was required.

You would think that nowadays, technology could be made simple enough for anyone to install something new like this.  Plug and Play is the word isn't it?

I'm very grateful for your help.

By the way - by juggling the positions of the 2 sattellites, we have obtained a good signal in every room.  The tick walls have been defeated!

Cheers

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7