Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 trouble

momofthecastle
Aspirant

RBR20 trouble

My download speed is cut from 165 to 65 when I move my computer from the main ORBI hardware to upstairs where one of the extenders is. Is this supposed to happen? 

Also, the white light does not stay on, but if I push the sync button, it comes on and pulses for about a minute and then goes off. Is this normal?

Message 1 of 3
momofthecastle
Aspirant

Re: RBR20 trouble

BTW, we have cable, not satellite.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR20 trouble

In terms of the light, yes thats normal. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean

In terms of the Orbi speed decrease, many things can change this. How are you doing the speedtest? wired or wireless? Wired is the best way to test speeds as many things influence wireless speeds.  Orbi uses a wireless backhaul (unless you wired it in), so it is sensitive to things that impact wireless. This includes foil lined insulation, hvac, wire lathe housing material, wireless interference, etc. Things you can try:

1. move the extender around a bit. it needs a minimum of 30ft from router-satellite. hvac can block signals so moving it can help remove obstruction.

2. enable/disable beamforming

3. enable/disable mu-mimo

4. Try changing wireless channels

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7