Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 Braindead!

RBR40 Braindead!

My orbi stopped working yesterday and I haven't been able to get it working again.  When it powers up only the little yellow light on the back comes on.  No white light on the top.  

I have attempted the following multiple times:

• Reboot (unplugged for a couple of minutes)
  • Hold reset with paper clip for 15 seconds after reapplying power
  • Attempted firmware update using firmware using TFTP client.  I wasn't able to transfer the files as the Orbi is unresponsive.  Cant even ping the unit when hardwired to my PC.

Any suggestions? 

I've only had it since 2019 and need something more durable for the price.  Looking at TP-Link Deco.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR40 Braindead!

@farmboy3000 wrote:
  • Attempted firmware update using firmware using TFTP client.  I wasn't able to transfer the files as the Orbi is unresponsive.  Cant even ping the unit when hardwired to my PC.

Yes, it might be dead, although I believe the LED by the power switch is supposed to be green.

Flashing firmware with TFTP or mnrpflash is not simple.  It took me six tries once to flash an Orbi router.  It appears that during the U-Boot sequence, there is a brief window of time when the router looks for a TFTP connection. Too soon, and it isn't ready yet.  Too late, and it's too late.  It is also really a chore to set up. (disconnecting everything from the router. setting the PC to a static IP, subnet, etc.) getting TFTP ready to go.) Hit the power button, count to "one", send the file.  Well, that failed.  Turn it back off. get TFTP ready again. Hit the power button. Count "one, two" send the file.  SIX tries!!!

It is no surprise that it did not respond to ICMP (ping). Because the boot sequence has not completed, the software necessary to respond to ping has not loaded.

@farmboy3000 wrote:

I've only had it since 2019 and need something more durable for the price.  Looking at TP-Link Deco.  Any thoughts?

If the goal is higher performance (perhaps move to a gigabit ISP plan soon) keeping it for a long time, and more coverage than a single WiFi access point can provide, I would look at:

• A Tri-Ban mesh system, where user radios do not share radio time with the 'backhaul' link between router and satellites
  • A system that supports WiFi6, which is becoming more and more common.
  • Something from a major brand (Amazon eero, TP-Link, Asus, Ubiquiti, Netgear, Linksys) in other words... I do not see any obvious favorite that is "head and shoulders above the rest".

Message 2 of 6

Thanks for the info.  You're right, the light is a bit more greenish than yellow.  I'll try different timings on the TFTP process to see if I can get it to work.  Did it give you any indication that it was working?  ...or do you just wait a few minutes and assume it failed?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

It has been months.  As I recall, when the file transferred, there was a 'progress bar' on the screen.

After I went through all that, people mentioned nmrpflash: https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash 

I believe that one of the advantages (claimed) for that is it does the timing automatically.  If I had another spare Orbi, I would flash firmware on it just to see what happens.

Message 4 of 6

Thanks CrimpOn!  I'll give it a shot.

Message 5 of 6

I didn't have any luck with the nmrpflash program.  I was able to list the ports, but it couldn't flash to any of them.  I'd always get an error "Ethernet cable is unplugged".  I tried using the mac address as well and blind mode. 

I tried TFTP about 20 times with different timings and couldn't get that to work either.

Unless anyone has other suggestions I think I give up.....

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7