Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR40 Firmware: v2.1.4.10 wireless stops working almost daily

SebF
Aspirant

RBR40 Firmware: v2.1.4.10 wireless stops working almost daily

Almost Daily, all wireless devices lose their internet access and the Orbi needs to be restarted.  

The 1 PC connected with Ethernet cable continues to work.

Wireless device can ping router iteself (ping 192.168.1.1).

Wireless devices can get response from DNS (for example, nslookup cnn.com returns IP addresses)

Wireless devices cannot ping DNS servers or other IPs. 

Tracert shows Request timed out on 2nd hop.

I am on the latest firmware 2.1.4.10.

I did see articles that suggest lowering speed for b/g to 54 Mbps but that seems to be on old firmware.  Can't see where this is done.

Any help would be approeciated.

Message 1 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

I'm running the same firmware version and don't have this problem with my RBR50. I wonder whether it could be related to the wireless devices failing to renew their LAN addresses. I have either static addresses or reserved LAN IP addresses for all my devices set in the Orbi router. You might want to try that if you haven't already.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 11
SebF
Aspirant

Based on other posts I found and feedback from NetGear support folks, I've opted to revert back to a previous firmware version.  We'll see if that helps.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time you update to v2.1.4.10, try a factory reset of the entire system then setup from scratch.

Also try manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz.

Any wireless neighbors near by? How many?

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem your using?

Message 4 of 11
SebF
Aspirant

The firmware was upgraded back to 2.1.4.10 without me initiating it.  I took your advice and did a factory reset and setup from scratch.  Same issue.  Last Friday, it failed and had to be rebooted 4 times.  Each time, it only affects wireless devices.  PC connected via ethernet cable works fine.  So don't think it is related to modem/ISP.  Wireless device able to connect and ping the router itself but nothing on the internet.

Tempted to go back to RBR40-V2.0.0.56 / RBW30-V2.0.1.2_1.0.23 but useless if it is going to automatically-upgrade back to 2.1.4.10.  Any insights on how to avoid this?

My Setup:  Cable (Comcast 150/15) >Orbi CBK40 (Router mode) with 2 satellites RBW30 both showing Good in Backhaul status.

Modem: Motorola Surfboard SB6121

About 5 neighbors with WLan setup around my house.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have the CBK40 or RBK40? 

What channels are the nieghbors using? 

Try setting manual 1, 6 or 11 where least amount of neighbors are using those channels. Sme for 5ghz. 

You can try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-auto-update-domain/m-p/1499659/highlight/true#M22873 

Message 6 of 11
SebF
Aspirant

My bad on my model.  Looks like copy/paste mistake.  Acutal Setup:  Cable (Comcast 150/15) >Orbi RBR40 (Router mode) with 2 satellites RBW30.  Modem: Motorola Surfboard SB6121

I switched my 2.4ghz channel to 6 (least used amongst my neighbors). The Auto setting had me using channel 4.

For 5ghz, it is set to 48.  All neighbors appear to use multiple channels so there isn't a clear channel that is used less than another.

I am a bit confused by the channel suggestion overall though.  When my issue occurs, my wireless devices are connected to the Router.  I can ping 192.168.1.1 and can load the admin page.  I just can't load any internet content.  So it seems counter-intuitive that this would be a channel issue...  Can you clarify?

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Channels 1, 6 and 11 are primary channels for users to use. All other channels are sub channels used by the wifi system and over lapping channels. If your getting to the routers web page and not any internet access, usually means there is a problem between the router and ISP modem.

Do wired devices loose internet as well? 

You might try to do this, download the same FW version, use IE11 or FF browser, disconnect from the ISP modem, manually re-load the FW file. After it installs, do a factory reset, reconnect it to the ISP modem, set up from scratch and see if same thing happens or not.

Message 8 of 11
SebF
Aspirant

Wired devices do not loose internet access when the issue occurs.  Only wireless devices.  So I'm confident the modem/ISP is not the issue.

I can try to re-install FW while not connected to Modem and do a factory reset tonight.  BTW, do you mean 2.1.4.10 FW or RBR40-V2.0.0.56?

Thanks!

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

2.1.4.10, you could also go back to last working version, you can try to stop the autoupdate by trying this out:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-disable-auto-upgrade/m-p/1563577/highlight/true#M30872

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7