Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 ORBI assigning IP out of range!

RedCab
Guide

RBR40 ORBI assigning IP out of range!

ORBI RBR40 is behaving very oddly.

IP Range is set to 192.168.0.x  

I lost internet to my wired ethernet PC. But was able to successfully connect same PC via WiFi.

Checked IP Table and found PC (ethernet) address was 169.254.118.245  !!!  No wonder no internet via ethernet.

Unfortunately the WiFi connect is unstable and it would drop.

So I rebooted the Orbi and this time it pull a correct 192.168.0.2 for the PC (ethernet) and all is good. Until it drops. I've repeated this multiple times. I changed the ethernet cable too, just in case.

What is going on with the Orbi? Firmware I noted updated last night.

Using Win10, I checked network connections and Ethernet shows "could not identify network" during those down times. Not surprising.

Help?!

Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR40 ORBI assigning IP out of range!

@RedCab wrote:

I lost internet to my wired ethernet PC. But was able to successfully connect same PC via WiFi.

Checked IP Table and found PC (ethernet) address was 169.254.118.245  !!!  No wonder no internet via ethernet.

Using Win10, I checked network connections and Ethernet shows "could not identify network" during those down times. Not surprising.

Wish I had a solution. 169.254.x.x is one of those "auto addresses" that a computer assigns when DHCP fails to supply an IP address. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address 

My Windows 10 computer also does this with the ethernet adapter (says "unknown network").  I either use the network "troubleshooter" or use the network control panel to "disable" and then "enable" the ethernet adapter.  Tedious.

I am certain there is a setting (somewhere) that makes this problem go away, but have not yet found it.  (I just disable/enable and go on.)

Message 2 of 13
RedCab
Guide

Interesting...

This morning I restarted the router and both satelites ...and for the moment everything is operating fine. Let's see if it stays stable.

The PC now has both wired ethernet and wifi turned on... I'll keep an eye out today to see if that ethernet connection bugs out, in which case my suspicion is that something has gone wrong with the Orbi's ethernet outputs.

I rolled back firmware to V2.6.1.36 just in case.

If I catch the Orbi misbehaving (ie, not assigning proper IP addresses to hardwired devices) would you say that it's a firmware or a hardware issue?

Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@RedCab wrote:

If I catch the Orbi misbehaving (ie, not assigning proper IP addresses to hardwired devices) would you say that it's a firmware or a hardware issue?

Sorry I was not clear.  The Orbi did not "assign" that private IP to the ethernet port.  The computer made up that IP itself because it did not get an IP from the Orbi.  The problem is entirely within the Windows 10 computer.  (My Windows 10 laptop started doing that and I am embarassed that thus far I have not resolved the issue.)

If every device but one is working correctly, then there must be a problem with the router?  - NOT.

Message 4 of 13
RedCab
Guide

I wasn't clear either, sorry.

I wrote about the problem with the PC as example because it provided the most diagnostic info.

The problem also is happening (when it does happen) with other devices downstream from the Orbi's ethernet outputs. For example one of those outputs goes to a switch which supplies my video streaming devices. All of them were unable to reach internet while that issue with the PC was going on.

SO... it's on the Orbi side of things, right? Would you agree the Orbi isn't registering hardwired ethernet connections, ie, not assigning IP address to those, in turn causing "no internet" at those various devices?

The wifi connections off the Orbi appear to be uneffected, at least I haven't observed an issue with those (yet).

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

I have captured LAN packets on my test Orbi two times.  Both clearly show my Windows 10 PC using DHCP to request an IP address and the Orbi responding with an IP request.

I will do another experiment tomorrow with more devices to see if there is a difference between how the Windows 10 PC does DHCP and how other devices do it.  Sorry to take so long.

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Performed another experiment.

Began WAN/LAN packet capture on Orbi debug page.

Closed lid on laptop (put to sleep).

Plugged power into Nest Mini.  Took a minute, but it came alive and told me the time. (Hey Google, what time is it?)

Connected Linux laptop to Orbi WiFi. Entered password. Opened up web pages. Connection working.

Opened lid on Win 10 laptop. Woke up. Entered password.  "Unidentified Network." Funny round icon.

Waited about 90 seconds.

Started Network troubleshooter. Selected ethernet port.

Now network shows as ORBI80 (which is what it is). Laptop has IP address.

Logged into Orbi debug page and saved debug log.

Use Wireshark to display DHCP packets.

Clearly shows the Nest Mini and the Linux laptop doing exactly what the DHCP protocol says to do:

Device broadcasts "Discover"

DHCP server responds "Offer"

Device sends "Request"

DHCP responds "ACK"

The Win 10 laptop, however did NOT follow the protocol:

Laptop broadcasts "Discover"

Laptop broadcasts "Discover"

This went on for 114 seconds until I the Network troubleshooter kicked in.

Finally, the Win 10 laptop followed the protocol. Discover->Offer->Request->ACK.

I remain convinced that although there are definite issues with the way Netgear handled DHCP in the context of IP assignments, the DHCP process follows the protocol. My Windows 10 laptop does not. Why?  No idea. It's a major pain in the nether region. I have searched for "Unidentified network" and got nothing helpful.

Message 7 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

@RedCab wrote:

Just to confirm - Is your Orbi in Router mode or Access Point (AP) mode?  Your Orbi is responsible for assiging network addresses only if it is in Router mode, otherwise that responsibility is handled by your upstream modem/gateway.

And the next time it occurs, i.e., when all your wired devices lose internet and DHCP-assigned IP addresses but your wireless devices are just fine, try this experiment: On your Windows PC force it to reconnect by putting it in, then out of, Airplane mode.  Does it get an IP address now?  You'll need to try this experiment without having also connected by wifi.

Message 8 of 13
RedCab
Guide

To confirm, only the Orbi is set up as router.  The modem is Arris SBV3202 - it's a telephony modem and does not have any router or wifi function.

Thanks for the recommendation... I understand where you're going with the "put it in and then out of airplane mode"... similarly I tried to disable / enable the ethernet adapter. That failed to properly assign an IP address.

The only success I had bringing the ethernet to proper function was power cycling the Orbi (and eventually the 2 satelites).

The network has been up now for 24 hours. Not sure if its only a co-incidence, but the Orbi has been lying on its front side for the past 24 hours so that I have easy access to the ethernet ports and to power cycle. Haha, do I dare stand it back up? Could be supersition, but could also be a bad solder joint in the i/o card.  Maybe tomorrow if all remains good I'll stand it back up and see if the problem reappears.

Message 9 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

@RedCab wrote:

To confirm, only the Orbi is set up as router.  The modem is Arris SBV3202 - it's a telephony modem and does not have any router or wifi function.

Is your PC connected directly to one the Orbi router's ethernet ports?  Is it connected to a satellite?  Is there a switch inbetween?  Are your satellites wired or wireless?

These shouldn't make a difference but it seems simplest if we can first reproduce your network IP address problem with just the Orbi router connected to your PC (and factor out any switch, satellite, etc.).

Also, what are your Orbi's DHCP settings and address range?  Do you use DHCP for all your devices or do you have some devices configured with static IP address?

For example, I never use static IP addresses and my Orbi's DHCP uses 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.200, I have 73 reserved IPs, and there are only 58 devices connected right now.  So there are plenty of IP address available for DHCP.

Message 10 of 13
RedCab
Guide

Filling in those details asked...

The DHCP range is 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254

I don't use static addresses

I have 2 addresses reserved (including the PC in question at 192.168.0.2) 

The Orbi router's ethernet are connected to that PC and additionally 2 switches (in parallel)

There are 2 satalites (one wired) and they both have devices connected by ethernet (as well as wifi)

I also have some MoCA running in my network.

Everything had been solid since the original set up in July 2020

I'll receive a "backup" Orbi tonight and at that point I'll "stand up" mine to see if that impacts any of the ethernet connections. If that physical movement harms connections I'll then be sure it's a hardware issue.

Which raises a (for the moment) hypothetical question:  how does netgear handle warranty issues? Do I send the bad unit in and then wait while they process it and send another unit back? Will they sell me a new unit and then credit the bad unit once received? Inquiring minds...

Thx...

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@RedCab wrote:

Which raises a (for the moment) hypothetical question:  how does netgear handle warranty issues? Do I send the bad unit in and then wait while they process it and send another unit back? Will they sell me a new unit and then credit the bad unit once received? Inquiring minds...

This is a really good question, and it comes up from time-to-time.  The only method that appears to work is to contact a forum moderator by sending a private message and provide the details.  NEVER send anything back without an actual Return Material Authorization (RMA).

Message 12 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

@RedCab wrote:

Filling in those details asked...

That for this info.  Unfortunately I saw nothing that might explain why your Orbi would fail to give out IP addresses to wired devices but continue just fine with wireless devices.  Have you seen it more than that one time and did it happen again after rolling back firmware?  If you do see it again then maybe there really is one of those rare HW issues.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7