Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 Slow Ethernet Connection

TG360
Aspirant

RBR40 Slow Ethernet Connection

I have been having this issue for a few months now, before it was working totally fine and I had not changed anything. It seems like every device plugged into ethernet of the router gets capped at ~80Mbps. Speed test on the router itself in the Orbi app show speeds above 150Mbps like it's supposed to, and wifi devices are the same. Devices connected wired include my PC, game systems, and TV, and all have the same issue. I tried directly connecting a laptop too and had the same problem. I tried a standard factory reset with the reset button on the back, but that didn't fix it. Also firmware is up to date, and has updated a couple times since the issue with no change.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: RBR40 Slow Ethernet Connection

@TG360 wrote:

That was the device at 1000m and my PC at 100m...

That sounds like full duplex auto-negotiation has failed between Orbi and your PC.  If your PC is awake, it shouldn't say 100M/Full if auto-negotiation works correctly.  It could be that the cable has gone bad.  Otherwise, you can try to change the PC NIC setting to force it do to 1000M/Full.  If you have a Gigabit switch in between, that will tell you for sure where the issue lies.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16

All Replies
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@TG360, it sounds as if the WAN port has correct link speed (1000M/Full), but the LAN ports are not (100M/Full).

To check link speed, point your browser at (replace 192.168.1.1 with your Orbi IP address):

If LAN port says 100M/Full, disconnect all cables from LAN ports, stick a paper clip in the back of Orbi until LED blinks amber.  If reset still doesn't fix it, find a Gigabit switch and put it in between Orbi and clients to see if that will make a difference.

Message 2 of 16
TG360
Aspirant

@SW_ 

Shows WAN 1000M/Full

LAN 1 1000M/Full

LAN 2 100M/Full

and LAN 3 100M/Full.

Think I will give a 30/30/30 reset a shot, and yeah I will disconnect the LAN ports while doing it.

Message 3 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@TG360, LAN port 1 link speed is correct.  Might want to replace cables for those clients connected to LAN port 2 and 3.  If 30-30-30 still fails, plug 4-port Gigabit switch into LAN port 1 and you should be good to go.

Message 4 of 16
TG360
Aspirant

@SW_ 

One thing I am a bit confused on is though, shouldn't the device connected to LAN 1 (which is my PC) not be showing any issues then if it's set correctly? Or you thinking there is some other issue that might be causing it that the reset would potentiall fix?

Message 5 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

You can test that theory.  Disconnect cables from both LAN 2 and LAN 3, reboot Orbi, verify that it's still 1000M/Full, verify that WAN port is not mirrored to LAN port 1 (http://orbi-ip/debug.htm), then do speedtest from that client.  A reset would often help when it comes to hardware related issue.

Message 6 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@TG360,

BTW, 100M/Full doesn't imply that it's wrong either.  For example, if those clients on LAN port 2 and LAN port 3 are currently sleeping (power saving mode), then Orbi LAN ports are working as expected.  The link speed will drop from 1000M/Full to 100M/Full when clients go to sleep. 

Message 7 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@TG360, when you do 30-30-30, please make sure that you don't (re)import old configuration.  Setup Orbi as if it's taken out of the box for the 1st time.  Restoring old configurations can bring back the same problem all over again. 

Message 8 of 16
TG360
Aspirant

@SW_ 

Tried the 30/30/30 reset and no luck. Tried disconnecting the other two lan ports and only having my PC plugged in and that also didn't do anything. Correction from before is that LAN 1 was not my PC, but my other router I am using as a switch connected to my game systems. That was the device at 1000m and my PC at 100m. In any case no matter what I am still having the problem when my PC is only plugged in and I do a router reboot.

Message 9 of 16
TG360
Aspirant

On your point about reimporting an old config, I am not sure if I did or not. I just did the reset then went to the orbi login and put in the SSID and PW as before. Wasn't much else to it, so don't think I did.

Message 10 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Have you tried to test with a new LAN cable?  When you plug in your PC to LAN port 1, does it show 1000M/Full?  If it does and the LAN cable is good, it implies that Orbi is throttling the LAN speed, a reset should fix that type of issue.  Do you have another Gigabit switch that you can plug-in to one of the LAN ports to test with?

Message 11 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Oh, for the sake of testing, plug the PC directly to ISP modem.  Verify that it's getting the expected speed.  That will rule out bad LAN cable and bad client NIC issue.

Message 12 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@TG360 wrote:

That was the device at 1000m and my PC at 100m...

That sounds like full duplex auto-negotiation has failed between Orbi and your PC.  If your PC is awake, it shouldn't say 100M/Full if auto-negotiation works correctly.  It could be that the cable has gone bad.  Otherwise, you can try to change the PC NIC setting to force it do to 1000M/Full.  If you have a Gigabit switch in between, that will tell you for sure where the issue lies.

Message 13 of 16
TG360
Aspirant

Trying to do that, for some reason whenever I plug my PC directly into the modem it comes up as an unidentified network and doesn't connect to the internet.

Message 14 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

If you reboot the modem and PC is still showing unidentified network, it's time to put a switch in or replace the PC NIC.

Message 15 of 16
TG360
Aspirant

Alright I replace the cable from my PC to the modem with the one that was going from the Orbi to the modem and now the PC is showing 170 Mbps like it's supposed to.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7