×

Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Re: RBR40 and Tivo WIFI 5 USB Adaptor

greggkast
Aspirant

RBR40 and Tivo WIFI 5 USB Adaptor

I am new to this site, but have been a long term customer. 

 

I have a Tivo Lux, that I am using the Tivo WIFI 5 USB Adaptor. 

 

This adaptor only works on the 5 ghz network. 

 

However, it is my understanding that my Orbi RBR40 uses a bandwidth selection protical called 'band steering'. 

 

Becuase of the band steering, I am not able to select the 5 ghz band. 

 

Anyone have any suggestions on how to select or make the bandwidth selectable by the user?

 

Thanks, 

Gregg

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR40 and Tivo WIFI 5 USB Adaptor


@greggkast wrote:

I have a Tivo Lux, that I am using the Tivo WIFI 5 USB Adaptor. 

This adaptor only works on the 5 ghz network. 

However, it is my understanding that my Orbi RBR40 uses a bandwidth selection protical called 'band steering'. 

Becuase of the band steering, I am not able to select the 5 ghz band. 

Anyone have any suggestions on how to select or make the bandwidth selectable by the user?


If this adapter only recognizes 5G WiFi, then it will "see" the Orbi WiFi signal on the 5G channel and connect.

Notice that the Amazon description of this adapter mentions that it has been "tested on Orbi"

https://www.amazon.com/TiVo-WiFi-Adapter-Black-AP0100/dp/B081HWCWCD 

 

Band steering has nothing to do with this. If anything, band steering means that the WiFi adapter and the Orbi will agree, "the ONLY channel you can connect to is the 5G channel."

 

Perhaps it would help to describe at what point the setup fails.

I love my Orbi.
Message 2 of 9
greggkast
Aspirant

Re: RBR40 and Tivo WIFI 5 USB Adaptor

Thanks for your reply and the link to the Amazon site for this device. 

 

Great point, about at what point the setup is failing. 

 

It is failing at the connection point. 

 

After I enter the password to my SSID, it fails. 

 

Im sure just like anyhting, there is a bad one in every bunch and I might have received a bad adaptor. 

 

I will keep this thread updated as things progress. 

 

Thanks again, 

Gregg

 

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR40 and Tivo WIFI 5 USB Adaptor


@greggkast wrote:

After I enter the password to my SSID, it fails. 


Does it display the password, or just show those stupid "*" or dots?

I love my Orbi.
Message 4 of 9
greggkast
Aspirant

Re: RBR40 and Tivo WIFI 5 USB Adaptor

The setup interface shows the password as it is entered. 

 

G

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR40 and Tivo WIFI 5 USB Adaptor


@greggkast wrote:

The setup interface shows the password as it is entered. 


Well, fooey.  I was hoping for "caps lock" being on or some obvious keyboard problem.  Seems like time to beat on the Tivo support line.

I love my Orbi.
Message 6 of 9
greggkast
Aspirant

Re: RBR40 and Tivo WIFI 5 USB Adaptor

it comes down to turning over more rocks to find what you are looking for. 

 

thanks

g

Message 7 of 9
greggkast
Aspirant

Re: RBR40 and Tivo WIFI 5 USB Adaptor

Well after all that, the issue was the USER. I realized I was missing a digit from my password. 

 

I feel like such an idiot. 

 

Thanks everyone for your help. 

 

G

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40 and Tivo WIFI 5 USB Adaptor

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink


@greggkast wrote:

Well after all that, the issue was the USER. I realized I was missing a digit from my password. 

 

I feel like such an idiot. 

 

Thanks everyone for your help. 

 

G


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode  | Wifi Router RAXE500 and RBKE963; Router mode | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX30/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, RAXE500, RAX120v2, RAX50v2, XR450/500/700/1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 530 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7