Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 does not see connected WD MyCloud NAS

RKB123
Aspirant

RBR40 does not see connected WD MyCloud NAS

I used to have an Asus router and replaced it with an ORBI70 Mesh that my father-in-law gave me, which does not see the WD NAS that's connected to it. 

Where I used to be able to log into the Asus router and see the connected NAS (view it's assigned IP address, etc), I cannot see it on the ORBI.  At first, I'd physically connected it through a small 4-port hub but moved it off the hub and connected it directly to the ORBI base unit to see if that solved the problem, but it did not.

I can see other devices that are physically connected directly to the ORBI as well as those that are connected to the hub, but I do not see the NAS.

Mesh systems are new to me, so I'm wondering if there's a setting I need to throw or somesuch.  

TIA,

Rob

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40 does not see connected WD MyCloud NAS

Is the networking configuration on the NAS set for automatic obtain IP addressing or does it have a static set on it's configuration? 

Try swapping LAN cables between the RBR and NAS to check. 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@RKB123 wrote:

I used to have an Asus router and replaced it with an ORBI70 Mesh that my father-in-law gave me

When companies manufacture WiFi routers, they try to prevent customers who happen to live next to each other from purchasing routers with exactly the same WiFi name (SSID).  Netgear's practice is to use the letters "O-R-B-I" plus a two digit number, perhaps  thinking that gives them 1 to 99 odds that two neighbors will get the same system by chance.  It is certainly more "User Friendly" than the gobbledygook that some other vendors create.  The actual model number is printed on the label on the bottom of the router.

Might be helpful to know the model number of the NAS.

@RKB123 wrote:

Where I used to be able to log into the Asus router and see the connected NAS (view it's assigned IP address, etc), I cannot see it on the ORBI. 

Is this using the Orbi 'app' or the Orbi web interface? (http://orbilogin.net )

What happens when trying the steps on Page 8 of the user manual:

https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/wd/product/external... 

Message 3 of 7
RKB123
Aspirant

Thanks.  The ORBI is an RBR40 and I've tried both the app and the web interface.

I cannot complete the install from that PDF.  My NAS is a much older version of that device and those instructions don't apply to my device (beyond the physical connection) and I no longer have the Quick Install Guide which apparently has a Device Code that's necessary.

At the risk of losing everything, I'll try and find some instructions on the web for pulling HD out and accessing it directly.

Message 4 of 7
RKB123
Aspirant

Update:

Don't know what happened, because I didn't do anything, but suddenly I can see the device as connected via both the Orbi app and the web interface.  I can see the NAS's IP address and it's correctly correlated to the MAC address ... but .... I cannot connect to the NAS via that IP address.  

The router has assigned 192.168.1.3 to the NAS and when I try to go to that address with a browser, it never connects.  No error code, no nothing, the browser just sits there contemplating its existence.

Orbi.png 

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@RKB123 wrote:

The router has assigned 192.168.1.3 to the NAS and when I try to go to that address with a browser, it never connects.  No error code, no nothing, the browser just sits there contemplating its existence.

The connection does not "time out"?

So, that WD 'app' is not intended to work with this old NAS?

Message 6 of 7
RKB123
Aspirant

It hasn't timed out for as long as I've been patient enough to wait for it (about 10 mins).

Apparently, the app doesn't work with my old device (I followed a support link on their website that showed all the WD devices that work with that app and my device was not on that list).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7