Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 dropping connectivity on 2.4 ghz band

LuisHSanta
Aspirant

RBR40 dropping connectivity on 2.4 ghz band

Hi,

I have a RBR40 router V2.5.1.16 firmware + RBW30 satellite V2.5.0.2. 

The problem is that I have PCs that only supports 2.4 Ghz, and they are dropping packets when connected to the RBR40, about 3% loss when I test a ping directly to the router. I tried this with two different PCs on 2.4Ghz very close to the router. When connected to the satellite 2.4ghz also, they doesn´t drop any packets when I ping to the router. I just want to add that the router is wired to the internet.

I also have another PC on 5Ghz and it works perfect without any packet loss.

The wireless channel was set to auto working on channel 1 always. I changed to #6 and then to #9 which  is less congestionated in my building, but the problem persists. 

I have unchecked 20/40 MHz Coexistence, Daisy-Chain Topology, Fast Roaming.

I have enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings, MU-MIMO and Implicit BEAMFORMING.

I check and there are not collisions. In the router logs I only found some DoS attack logs at different times. I am not sure if this could be related.

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 54.184.232.71, port 443, Monday, May 11, 2020 18:10:08
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 152.199.24.163, port 443, Monday, May 11, 2020 17:20:50
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 17.248.137.143, port 443, Monday, May 11, 2020 16:18:24

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 93.184.216.34, port 80, Monday, May 11, 2020 09:21:19

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thank you

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40 dropping connectivity on 2.4 ghz band

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@LuisHSanta wrote:

The problem is that I have PCs that only supports 2.4 Ghz, and they are dropping packets when connected to the RBR40, about 3% loss when I test a ping directly to the router. I tried this with two different PCs on 2.4Ghz very close to the router. When connected to the satellite 2.4ghz also, they don´t drop any packets when I ping to the router. I just want to add that the router is wired to the internet.

My old Acer Aspire One supports only 2.4G WiFi.  It will ping anything I ask it to for hours and never drop even one.  All of those features like MIMO, Beam Forming, and Fast Roaming have no impact on older technology devices.

I do not understand the comment about "collisions".  Can you explain that more?

Is there a source of 2.4G interference in the house that would affect the router more than the satellite?

(microwaves, cordless phones, heavy bluetooth usage, etc.)

Message 3 of 14
LuisHSanta
Aspirant

Hi, on "advance home" --> "internet port" --> "show statistics you can see the status of each port of the router. I have 0 collisions in all of them. 

Regarding the 2.4Ghz I don´t have any cordless phones and we dont use bluetooth. I do live in a building of 10 floors and I can see many networks (>30) from my place. 

Best regards,

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes those are possible sources of interferneces. Also other wifi nieghbors as well. 

Does this PC still experience problems with the RBS turned OFF as well? 

You might think about upgrading the wifi adapter in this PC. There are external and internal wifi adapters that you could use. 

Message 5 of 14
LuisHSanta
Aspirant

Factory reset: No I haven´t do that. I which I didn´t have to in order to avoid to cofigure everything but if you think It would solve the issue I will give it a try.

Distance between router and satellite: Distance is Ok within 30 Feet. In fact when connecting on the satellite on the 2.4Ghz pc it works much better, and also the backhaul connection between router and satellite is good. The main issue is when connecting with the router directly (very close, it is not a distance issue). 

What channels are you using? At first it was set to Auto and it picked channel 1 all the time. I tried channel 6 and 9 without luck. In case of 5G I am using 48. 

There are more than 30 wifi neighboors that I can see in my PC. The best channel that I see is 9, but it also has issues. 

Thank you,

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You should not use channel 9. Channels to select that are best and recommended are 1, 6 or 11. 

You can also try turning down the power output of the 2.4Ghz radio from 100% to say 50% to see if this changes any behaviors:

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 7 of 14
LuisHSanta
Aspirant

When the RBS is off, I still have the issues with the PC. I have to say that I have 2 PC with only 2.4Ghz and they are still in with a good perfomance but too old in order to think to invest or upgrade them, so upgrading the NC is not an option. Also, when working in other networks different than Orbit, they work very good and their network cards doesn´t present any packet loss. So for me it does not make sense that they do not have a good performance with Orbi. 

When I bought the Orbi system, I knew that my house is crowed with other WiFi signals and that was the main reason to select the Orbi. It is supposed to be strong and premium. I have to say that 5 Ghz works very good. 

Thank you,

Message 8 of 14
LuisHSanta
Aspirant

I did a factory reset but I still have the same issue. I am using now channel 11 with the same results. What is weird is that when connected to the satellite it works fine. The issue is when connected to the router on 2.4Ghz. 

Transmit power in 50% didn´t help

Thank you

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would open a support ticket with NG support. You may need to ask about an RMA. 

Message 10 of 14
LuisHSanta
Aspirant

That´s too bad. I have my Orbi more than a year now so it is out of guarantee. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would open a support ticket with NG support. You may need to ask about an RMA. 

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Running out of ideas here...

Message 12 of 14
LuisHSanta
Aspirant

Does anyone else have this issue? it is really annoying. 

I was thinking if maybe downgrading to a previous firmware could work? 

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try downgrading and see if this helps any. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7