Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 - wired connection on satellite gets 2X speed of wired connection to Orbi

notoneword
Aspirant

RBR40 - wired connection on satellite gets 2X speed of wired connection to Orbi

Could only choose RBR50 for some reason, but this is about RBR40.

I just factory reset my Orbi setup, since I found that i was getting near 200MB download from the cable modem, but my wired connection to Orbi was getting about half that (90MB)

I still haven't figured out why it's cut in half, I'm hoping to get some help on here.

The latest twist I noticed was when my wife's work PC has wired connection to a satellite, it's getting near 200MB speeds.

If I connect via wireless on my PC  - to the Orbi base not 10' away, I get 30MB.

Anyone have advice or things to try?

thanks,

Tom

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40 - wired connection on satellite gets 2X speed of wired connection to Orbi

What is the mfr and model # of the wifi adapter in your one PC? Some wifi adapters may not support higher speeds.

Be sure to update the wifi adapter drivers on this PC.

Check the connection rate of the adapter connected to the RBR or RBS.

Be sure the wifi adapter is connected to the closer RBR or RBS when near. Sometimes devices will connect to the farther signal when near a stronger signal. 

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Is Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter enabled on the RBR? 

Message 2 of 6
notoneword
Aspirant

Re: RBR40 - wired connection on satellite gets 2X speed of wired connection to Orbi

Thanks for tips!

It's a 

QCA9565

which, apparently can only get a connection at up to 72.2 Mbps for 20 MHz and 150 Mbps for 40 MHz

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, that would be why your seeing slower speeds. 

Upgrade the wifi apapter if one is avialble to something with higher speed spec. Even try a USB wifi adapter as well. They make some for USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. 

Message 4 of 6
notoneword
Aspirant

Thanks.

That explains the wifi difference.  Should I look at the ethernet adapter to see why the wired connection gets half the speed of the wired connection from the satellite?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Check it as well, older adapters supported up to 100Mbps. 1000Mpbs has been around for about 10 years or so on ethernet adapters. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7