Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - 2.7.2.104 firmware - Issues?

NetBuddy
Star

I think NTP is working fine for me.  What are you using for NTP servers?

I ended up doing the downgrade to 2.7.2.102 before I read this thread.  So I decided to keep this version and shut off Traffic Meter.  I won't be turning it on anytime soon.  My network is now stable and I like that!  🙂

David

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 76 of 126
Ursa99
Star

I upgraded from V2.5.2.4  directly to V2.7.2.104 and had no issues after the update.  I did not touch the timeserver or the traffic meter settings (which I've never changed) and did not power off the router.  The update was uneventful, the two satellites connected and all 25 devices have connected properly.  I am using the Orbi in AP mode with no inputs on it used except the Etherent into it from my router.  I don't know if the FW is bad or not but this is my experience.

Message 77 of 126
vajim
Master

@Ursa99 wrote:

I upgraded from V2.5.2.4  directly to V2.7.2.104 and had no issues after the update.  I did not touch the timeserver or the traffic meter settings (which I've never changed) and did not power off the router.  The update was uneventful, the two satellites connected and all 25 devices have connected properly.  I am using the Orbi in AP mode with no inputs on it used except the Etherent into it from my router.  I don't know if the FW is bad or not but this is my experience.

How long has it been?

Message 78 of 126
Ursa99
Star

8 Hours...

Message 79 of 126
vajim
Master

@Ursa99 wrote:

8 Hours...

check back in 48 hours

Message 80 of 126
ibidimus
Aspirant

I had similar network connectivity issues as others after upgrading the firmware. Some devices would connect fine, others would not.  My daughter resolved a Nintendo Switch connectivity issue by entering a DNS server address on her Nintendo Switch. My mobile phone and Dell laptop would not connect but my Roku stick never had a problem.  Also the Orbi app would indicate no internet access but the web orbilogin access would indicate there was internet access, or vice versa.   After reading some of this thread I disabled the traffic meter, which could only be done via the web interface, and that seems to have resolved the connectivity issues, at least so far after several hours of use.

Message 81 of 126
Viking42
Apprentice

Same issue here

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/LBR20-internet-signal-loss/m-p/2078542

a full reset didnt solve my issue 

Disabled the traffic meter and changed the NTP just now, i'll report on how that works 

Message 82 of 126
Embattle
Guide

Having had this issue for a few days now and reading reddit and the NTP/Traffic Meter might be the cause of the issues I've gone the disable Traffic meter route this morning.

Message 83 of 126
esteg
Guide

No, the root problem is effectively that this FW update is still available.

Can you imagine all people who are not on the forums and so one and can't fix this problem  ???

Here is what to be done :

- removing the FW from DL list and auto update feature

- fix the bug

- quickly go for an update (DL+auto update) which will fix his lazy bug for ever.

Just a note:

• I have changed NTP : no effect, still the issue.
  • I have switch off TM : no problem anymore (about 5h of fully available connexion)

The real problem is: is there any testing puprose in Netgear developper team ???

Message 84 of 126
NetBuddy
Star

I'm convinced that it is Traffic Meter.  I can't imagine that NTP would have ever been an issue with this.  It is too basic a protocol and is a service, not a core routing function.

I'm staying with 2.7.2.102 with Traffic Meter off.  The Orbi has been running fine for a week now.  Hopefully the next version will fix this.

Being a L3 Network support Engineer for my company I'm a little surprised that something like this wasn't picked up in the QA process.  Things do slip through, but to enable a new feature that has this kind of impact to the DNS Relay, it really should have been caught.

All in all, I'm very happy with my Orbi and the functionality that Netgear provides.  Mostly solid with occasional software glitches to be expected.

David

Message 85 of 126
vajim
Master

@NetBuddy wrote:

Being a L3 Network support Engineer for my company I'm a little surprised that something like this wasn't picked up in the QA process. 

...you are the QA process.

Message 86 of 126
NetBuddy
Star

Yes!  Yes we are!  🙂

David

Message 87 of 126
Ursa99
Star

As requested.

@vajim wrote:

@Ursa99 wrote:

8 Hours...

check back in 48 hours

48+ hours and all is well.

Message 88 of 126
vajim
Master

@Ursa99 wrote:

As requested.

@vajim wrote:

@Ursa99 wrote:

8 Hours...

check back in 48 hours

48+ hours and all is well.

Thanks.  I wish ALL could report the same

Message 89 of 126
Viking42
Apprentice

On my LBR 20

Disabled the traffic meter and changed the NTP about 14h hours ago

I just had the internet signal hanging again 

So traffic meter is not the solution for me 

Message 90 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over in the Orbi with LTE forum as you may have a different problem from Orbi AC systems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-LTE/bd-p/en-home-orbi-lte

Thank you.

@Viking42 wrote:

On my LBR 20

Disabled the traffic meter and changed the NTP about 14h hours ago

I just had the internet signal hanging again 

So traffic meter is not the solution for me 

Message 91 of 126
Embattle
Guide

So far since I disabled Traffic meter yesterday morning I've not had another DNS issue, whereas before I was having it 3+ times a day.

Message 92 of 126
vajim
Master

The one question I have about the Traffic Meter....is that something that must be activated by the user?  Mine is and always has been deactivated.  So I'm wondering why and how the Traffic Meter came to be turned on by so many users in this forum?  What does it do for the user?  

Message 93 of 126
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@vajim wrote:

The one question I have about the Traffic Meter....is that something that must be activated by the user?  Mine is and always has been deactivated.  So I'm wondering why and how the Traffic Meter came to be turned on by so many users in this forum?  What does it do for the user?  

i guess you have tested it, or not ?
https://community.netgear.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/Orbi/message-id/117725/print-si...

Message 94 of 126
Embattle
Guide

I think mine became active when I started to use the app more, since one of the buttons in the application relates to traffic.
Message 95 of 126
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

@vajim wrote:

i guess you have tested it, or not ?
https://community.netgear.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/Orbi/message-id/117725/print-si...

I've tested it and we discussed it before.   BUT if you read and understood my question I'm asking for those that had problems did you turn on the traffic meter or was the default setting always on?  Mine was off then I tested and back to off.  

Message 96 of 126
vajim
Master

@Embattle wrote:
I think mine became active when I started to use the app more, since one of the buttons in the application relates to traffic.

So you don't remember turning it on manually?

I never use the app. 

Message 97 of 126
FURRYe38
Guru

TM is disabled by default. You have to enabled it and configure it with in the RBRs web page for it to be used in the web page or Orbi app. I just enabled mine on the RBRs web page and it now appears in the Orbi app. 

TMEnabled.PNG

@Embattle wrote:

Message 98 of 126
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

TM is disabled by default. You have to enabled it and configure it with in the RBRs web page for it to be used in the web page or Orbi app. I just enabled mine on the RBRs web page and it now appears in the Orbi app. 

default (disabled) would mean that users had to go looking (in this case) trouble

Telling others that you enabled yours during this firmware foul up is not smart.

Message 99 of 126
NetBuddy
Star

I'm a Network Engineer and saw it in the app and turned it on.  It is off by default.

Once I read this thread, I shut it off and my network stabilized.

Stay away from this feature until Netgear fixes it and reports it as fixed in the release notes.

I'm still happily running 2.7.2.102.  No issues.

David

Message 100 of 126
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7