Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 AP mode with one RBS50 but in app shows satellite disconnected when connected to a switch

cramm
Aspirant

RBR50 AP mode with one RBS50 but in app shows satellite disconnected when connected to a switch

Hello community,

I have some issues with my setup and i would like to share it with you.

My setup is like this:

Cisco Router<->switch<->RBR50 (AP mode) and the satellite RBS50 is connected to the switch. 

The switch is a d-link DGS-1210-08P which is a managed switch but i havent used any vlans yet. Power saving, STP, IGMP all is off so i dont have the problems i read in previous posts.

I have also changed the ip to a 10.10.10.x/24 network and with dhcp from the cisco using mac addresses to provide static ips.

• When i am connecting to the app from my mobile, the app recognise the RBR50 but the satellite showing disconnected.

• When i am connecting to the app from the satellite, it doesnt recognise the RBR50 device, so i am entering only remotely but still the satellite showing disconnected.

The only way to make it work, is to put the RBS50 back2back with RBR50. Then it is working, but i can't have that setup because of the wiring of my house. I have tried a dummy switch to connect the orbi devices but still the same behaviour.

My house is about 200m2 and wanted to have each device to one floor. One other question is that i have the satellite to one end of the floor and when connecting through my mobile to the other side of the floor i get max ~30mbit. Is that ok, or i should get better than this?

Anyway, if you have any ideas/suggestions that you will help me, please reply. 

Thanks & BR

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
cramm
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 AP mode with one RBS50 but in app shows satellite disconnected when connected to a switch

I just got it working!!!

I connected both RBR and RBS to the cisco router. I got the ethernet backhaul working both on RBR web interface and in the android app.

Everything seems connected! FYI, i have connected the utp cable to the LAN port of RBR and to make the magenta ring dissapear i just connected a NAS (any always-on connected device will do).

Thank you everybody!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 AP mode with one RBS50 but in app shows satellite disconnected when connected to a switch

As you have discovered, the Orbi is sensitive to which ethernet port connects to the satellite.  It does not expect to see satellites on the WAN port, only on the LAN ports.

Is it correct that the Cisco router and the D-Link switch are located with the ISP modem, which is also the central hub for ethernet wiring?

There is only a single ethernet cable connecting the hub to the location of the router, and only a single cable connecting the hub to the location of the satellite?

And, the satellite is hard wired because it does not achieve a "blue light" when using WiFi backhaul to the router?

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Put the switch behind the RBR or put a switch behind the RBR then connect the RBS:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

RBR and RBS need to be on the same segment with a switch. Your configuration puts the switch ahead of the RBR though technically it should work, some switches don't pass all Orbi Traffic. Some managed switch may not work well. Try D-Link DGS-105/8 series switches. These do work. 

@cramm wrote:

Hello community,

I have some issues with my setup and i would like to share it with you.

My setup is like this:

Cisco Router<->switch<->RBR50 (AP mode) and the satellite RBS50 is connected to the switch. 

The switch is a d-link DGS-1210-08P which is a managed switch but i havent used any vlans yet. Power saving, STP, IGMP all is off so i dont have the problems i read in previous posts.

I have also changed the ip to a 10.10.10.x/24 network and with dhcp from the cisco using mac addresses to provide static ips.

• When i am connecting to the app from my mobile, the app recognise the RBR50 but the satellite showing disconnected.

• When i am connecting to the app from the satellite, it doesnt recognise the RBR50 device, so i am entering only remotely but still the satellite showing disconnected.

The only way to make it work, is to put the RBS50 back2back with RBR50. Then it is working, but i can't have that setup because of the wiring of my house. I have tried a dummy switch to connect the orbi devices but still the same behaviour.

My house is about 200m2 and wanted to have each device to one floor. One other question is that i have the satellite to one end of the floor and when connecting through my mobile to the other side of the floor i get max ~30mbit. Is that ok, or i should get better than this?

Anyway, if you have any ideas/suggestions that you will help me, please reply. 

Thanks & BR

Message 3 of 9
cramm
Aspirant

Hi again,

The d-link switch and cisco router is in the same place. The RBR goes to the LivingRoom through a utp cable which is connected to the d-link switch and the satelite uses the same setup to the first floor.

I tried to connect the RBR and RBS through this: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

and use the lan port, not the wan of the RBR but a solid magenta came in.When i plug the utp to the WAN port then the magenta goes off.

I have read a lot of opinions here but which is the right one when connecting to AP mode?

Thank you

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the switch?

Managed and or having Green Ethernet features? If so, disable any IGMP protocols on the managed switch along with any Green Ethernet features if possible.

For non manged switches, if it has green ethernet features, you may have to get something with out. I know that D-Links DGS-105/108 series switches works fine with Orbi...

Message 5 of 9
cramm
Aspirant

I just got it working!!!

I connected both RBR and RBS to the cisco router. I got the ethernet backhaul working both on RBR web interface and in the android app.

Everything seems connected! FYI, i have connected the utp cable to the LAN port of RBR and to make the magenta ring dissapear i just connected a NAS (any always-on connected device will do).

Thank you everybody!

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the switch?

Glad you got it working. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 9
cramm
Aspirant

I have written it on my inital post.

The switch is a d-link DGS-1210-08P.

Does anybody know what kind of communication is between the orbis so that a cisco router can handle but not a switch?

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats a managed switch. Did you disable ALL IGMP protocols on the switch. Can you disable any green ethernet features as well? I have a DGS1100 and have had it in between my RBR and RBS. IGMP all disabled. 

D-Links DGS-105 and 108 series switches work fine with Orbi. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7