Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50: Access control enabled also affects guest network

Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

RBR50: Access control enabled also affects guest network

If I understand correctly, the access control for devices affects the main and guest network.

This is really unusable, because I want to restrict only the main network.

But all guests should have access to the guest network if they know the password. For example all friends of my kinds should be allowed to access the guest network only, also if they know the main network password (by mistake or by sharing via an iphone).

Anyone else with this issue (or is it a feature request)?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

Re: RBR50: Access control enabled also affects guest network

found one here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Independent-access-control-for-Guest-and-Mai...
-> but over 1 year old

Please community, vote for this request, thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR5: Access control enabled also affects guest network

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

If I understand correctly, the access control for devices affects the main and guest network.

This is really unusable, because I want to restrict only the main network.

But all guests should have access to the guest network if they know the password. For example all friends of my kinds should be allowed to access the guest network only, also if they know the main network password (by mistake or by sharing via an iphone).

Anyone else with this issue (or is it a feature request)?

Your impression matches mine.  Access Control works exactly as described.  If Access Control is off, then knowing the password is all that is required.  I am more puzzled with the choices when Access Control is on. We can choose (a) Allow new devices to connect, or (b) Block new devices from connecting.  This indicates (to me) that choosing Allow means it is up to me to watch for new devices and decide if I want to Block them.

I do not understand "also if they know the...". Perhaps there are words missing?

My guess is that what you want is to have different settings for primary and guest networks.

i.e. Primary could be "Block" and Guest could be "Allow". That would be a feature request.  The forum for that is here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home 

Considering how Netgear has pretty much ignored every feature request, I would not get my hopes up.

Message 2 of 4
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

My guess is that what you want is to have different settings for primary and guest networks.

i.e. Primary could be "Block" and Guest could be "Allow". That would be a feature request.

Thats exacly what I expect. Otherwise it makes nearly no sense to offer a guest network.

I will have a look the the feature request and open a new one if necessary.

Message 3 of 4
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

found one here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Independent-access-control-for-Guest-and-Mai...
-> but over 1 year old

Please community, vote for this request, thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7