Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Antivirus?

EricMatson
Follower

RBR50 Antivirus?

I just got the kit from Costco.  It had 1 RBR50 and 2 RBS50 in it.  Is this the same as the RBK50?  I was also wondering if there is any antivirus available for this router.  I wasn't aware I was going to have to pay for Circle to do the stuff I wanted and then I was surprised there wasn't any av.  Is this a plan for the future?  Thanks

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Antivirus?

Home networking devices like routers and access point do not support anti virus programs. Those programs are needed for PCs and laptops where they look for malicious files and such on the PC. Circle support is a device management system where you can set up scheduling to block certain devices for your children or others on your network to give them access during specific time frames and I believe you can block sites or give access.

Message 2 of 4
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Home networking devices like routers and access point do not support anti virus programs. Those programs are needed for PCs and laptops where they look for malicious files and such on the PC.

Au contraire, mon ami. Current firmware on some Asus routers performs anti-virus functions.

AiProtection with Trend Micro uses real-time network monitoring to detect malware, viruses and other intrusions before it reaches your PC or connected devices. Parental Controls let you schedule times that a connected device is able to access the Internet. You can also restrict unwanted websites and apps.
  • Router Security Assessment
  • Malicious Sites Blocking
  • Vulnerability Protection
  • Infected Device Prevention and Blocking
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Something Orbi doesn't support.

Also on board "anti virus" on routers would probably tend to have a performance impact as well for home class routers.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7