Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Can't work with Alaaddin Connect Garage Door Opener

asu21
Tutor

RBR50 Can't work with Alaaddin Connect Garage Door Opener

Hi, I have an Orbi Mesh system (RBR50) that will not allow me to connect to my wifi garage door opener.  Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Alan

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
asu21
Tutor

Re: RBR50 Can't work with Alaaddin Connect Garage Door Opener

Turns out the computer board was bad. Got a new one from Genie (free because it is still under warranty), replaced it, and it works now.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. what gateway is the router connected to? 

2. what firmware is on the router? 

3. How are you setting up the opener and where is it failing in the process? I actually have an aladdin connected to my system.I initially installed it to my orbi RBR50 system. So I'm curious where its failing in the process? 

Message 2 of 12
Mikey94025
Hero

@asu21 wrote:

Hi, I have an Orbi Mesh system (RBR50) that will not allow me to connect to my wifi garage door opener.  Any recommendations?

I suspect you're trying to use their phone app and it is getting confused because your phone connects to the 5Ghz Orbi network and erroneously passes that to the Aladdin system which only supports the 2.4Ghz Orbi network.

Fortunately it looks like there is a secondary way to perform the wi-fi setup (similar to Chamberlain/Liftmaster MyQ).  After you connect to the Aladdin's wifi (gdocntrl-xxxx), use a web browser to configure it,  That web browser lists and lets you select amongst the 2.4Ghz networks the Aladdin sees (instead of relying on what your phone connects to):

I’ve tried this approach to connecting my device and it’s just not working. Are
there any other ways to setup Wi-Fi?

Yes, there is a second approach to passing the Wi-Fi network and password
that uses an embedded webpage in the door control module when it is in
configuration mode. To use this method, press and hold the Wi-Fi button
until the device beeps. When the LED changes from red to yellow, go to
the Wi-Fi settings on your smartphone and connect to the gdocntl network.
Once you are connected to the gdocntl network, go to the web browser on
a smartphone or computer and enter https://192.168.1.1. This connects
you to an embedded webpage in the door control module. Click on the
configure button. The embedded webpage takes you to a set up screen.
Here, you will select the home Wi-Fi network from a list of available
networks, keep the WPA2 encryption selection, and then scroll down, enter
the password for your home W-Fi network, keep the default service
selection, and then select save. After hitting save, the first part of the
configuration is complete, and the door control module connects to the
home Wi-Fi network.

Once the door control module is connected to the home Wi-Fi network, the
next step establishes a secure communication link between the door
control module and the cloud. Press connect to submit the configuration
and complete Wi-Fi set up. The cloud and the door control module will
exchange keys/tokens, so a secure communication link is established. The
LED will change to solid green. If the LED is flashing green, the connection
to the cloud was not successful.

Message 3 of 12
asu21
Tutor

Hi, I am not sure what gateway I was using. How do I find out? Firmware is 2.7.3.22. I used Genie’s app on my phone to connect the motor to my home system. At first, their network (gdocntrl-xxxx) would not show up after I pushed the WiFi button on the motor itself. After unplugged and plugged in the motor, their network showed up. From that point, I followed the process and it failed when it was trying to connect back to my home system. Once that happened, their network disappeared and I had to unplugged/plugged in the motor again in order for their network to show up again. Finally after many tries, by chance, it connected to my system. However, it kept disconnecting after a few minutes. I spoke to Genie’s rep and they couldn’t figure it out either. They are going to send me a new board. It’s ironic that I just had my new opener installed yesterday. How did you get it to work?
Message 4 of 12
asu21
Tutor

Thx for the advice. I will try this out.
Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

Its been a while since I had to connect mine but it was a simple push button operation between the opener and the app. 

The gateway would be the modem/ONT/device that the router connects to that supplies an internet signal. 

Message 6 of 12
asu21
Tutor

I see.  The problem that I have is that their network (gdocntrl-xxxx) would not stay on long enough before I finish all steps.  It will just disapper within 30 secons.  I tried setting it up with my computer as well.  That gdo network would disapper so quick that I could not do anything.

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

Are you using android or iOS?

have you tried a different device? 

Just a video of the install process. this is what I used and was as simple as following the video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-5r4Z_zhNw

I understand yours is failing because the openers wifi isn't broadcasting long enough. I'd be inclinded to be thinking its the control panel as well. 

Message 8 of 12
asu21
Tutor

I am using my iPhone. Also tried to connect it with my own laptop. Still didn’t work. Now, just waiting for the new control board from Genie, and will replace the current board. Hopefully that will solve this problem.
Message 9 of 12
asu21
Tutor

Tried using my laptop to connect, and still didn’t work. Contacted Genie’s rep and they had no idea why either. They will send me a new control board for replacement. Hope it will work after.
Message 10 of 12
asu21
Tutor

Turns out the computer board was bad. Got a new one from Genie (free because it is still under warranty), replaced it, and it works now.
Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working!
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements