Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 DNS Issues

daverichard4
Guide

Thanks, but that doesn't work for me.  As long as you have DHCP configured on the WAN interface IP ("Get Dynamically from ISP"), you are forced to use the ISP's DNS servers also.  Not sure how you are able to manually select your DNS servers with DHCP enabled on the WAN interface, but I'd like to see how.  See screen shot.  Thanks!

Message 26 of 94
CrimpOn
Guru

I am often mistaken, but I believe this  situation may be related to Disney Circle.  Is Circle activated on this Orbi?

If my memory is correct, someone reported getting around this by de-activating Circle, selecting the DNS servers they wanted to use, then re-activating Circle.

Message 27 of 94
willyq2009
Aspirant

Simply enabling and re-enabling orbi on the iOS app (could not even get to orbilogin.com) worked immediately for me. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 28 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use manual settings for DNS when in DHCP mode. Be sure to try @CrimpOns advise about disabling Armor or Circle to change DNS settings. 

@daverichard4 wrote:

Thanks, but that doesn't work for me.  As long as you have DHCP configured on the WAN interface IP ("Get Dynamically from ISP"), you are forced to use the ISP's DNS servers also.  Not sure how you are able to manually select your DNS servers with DHCP enabled on the WAN interface, but I'd like to see how.  See screen shot.  Thanks!

Message 29 of 94
tcomp
Star

I have an RBR20 and in the last few weeks have been having the exact same issue.  I'm a professional IT person by trade, and have a lot of networking knowledge, including previously being employed as a network engineer for a large software company - so I know a lot about how to troubleshoot issues like this.

• I am on firmware version: V2.3.5.36
  • I use CloudFlare DNS: 1.1.1.1 for default
    • I have also tried using a variety of DNS providers, including my own ISP, Google, etc.  Same problems.
  • I am using Circle for the kids in the house.
    • I have tried turning off and on circle through the Orbi settings, as suggested in this thread - seems to have no impact on the issue.

I have done a lot of investigation and determined, when this DNS resolution issue happens:

• DNS resoltuion through the entire home, on multiple devices stops working, using the forced resolver of the Orbi (192.168.1.1 on my network)
  • Manual DNS resolution on devices like my laptop works fine.  I.E I can do a NSLOOKUP or DIG (depending on OS) of domains normally.
    • DIG @1.1.1.1 google.com -> resolves properly
    • DIG @192.168.1.1 google.com -> hangs and eventually times out
  • Pings and public internet access (over IP only) work fine.  This is definitely just a DNS issue.

To resolve the issue, what works is either:

• Rebooting the Orbi RBR
  • Logging into the Orbi admin page, clicking on "Internet", clicking "Test".  It fixes it a bit faster, without a full reboot.

I'm pretty sure what is happening here is that the Orbi is running dnsmasq or something similar locally, and it just hangs for some reason.  Hitting "Test", or rebooting the router obviously clears this issue.

The issue appears to happen randomly.  There is no specific timing between incidents. Sometimes we will go a few days without the issue, sometimes we will have it happen multiple times in the same day.

It's really starting to frustrate me.  Hopefully someone from Netgear or elsewhere knows how to fix it.  I'm guessing at this point it's likely going to require a firmware fix 😞

@netgear - Please help!

Message 30 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Does using default DNS or letting the RBR auto detect and use DNS keep the DNS running for your devices. Try quad 9?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update and use auto DNS? 

Circle has been know to cause problems as well. Try a reset and setup from scratch with out any Armor or Circle.

If any of these fail to resolve anything, please file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

@tcomp wrote:

I have an RBR20 and in the last few weeks have been having the exact same issue.  I'm a professional IT person by trade, and have a lot of networking knowledge, including previously being employed as a network engineer for a large software company - so I know a lot about how to troubleshoot issues like this.

• I am on firmware version: V2.3.5.36
  • I use CloudFlare DNS: 1.1.1.1 for default
    • I have also tried using a variety of DNS providers, including my own ISP, Google, etc.  Same problems.
  • I am using Circle for the kids in the house.
    • I have tried turning off and on circle through the Orbi settings, as suggested in this thread - seems to have no impact on the issue.

I have done a lot of investigation and determined, when this DNS resolution issue happens:

• DNS resoltuion through the entire home, on multiple devices stops working, using the forced resolver of the Orbi (192.168.1.1 on my network)
  • Manual DNS resolution on devices like my laptop works fine.  I.E I can do a NSLOOKUP or DIG (depending on OS) of domains normally.
    • DIG @1.1.1.1 google.com -> resolves properly
    • DIG @192.168.1.1 google.com -> hangs and eventually times out
  • Pings and public internet access (over IP only) work fine.  This is definitely just a DNS issue.

To resolve the issue, what works is either:

• Rebooting the Orbi RBR
  • Logging into the Orbi admin page, clicking on "Internet", clicking "Test".  It fixes it a bit faster, without a full reboot.

I'm pretty sure what is happening here is that the Orbi is running dnsmasq or something similar locally, and it just hangs for some reason.  Hitting "Test", or rebooting the router obviously clears this issue.

The issue appears to happen randomly.  There is no specific timing between incidents. Sometimes we will go a few days without the issue, sometimes we will have it happen multiple times in the same day.

It's really starting to frustrate me.  Hopefully someone from Netgear or elsewhere knows how to fix it.  I'm guessing at this point it's likely going to require a firmware fix 😞

@netgear - Please help!

Message 31 of 94
iamkeyman3
Tutor

I want to echo @tcomp post as I too am an IT professional and have done extensive testing.  The problem IS in DNS resolution.  Obviously, a reboot does fix the issue, but then it takes time for the satellites to re-sync.  The solution 100% of the time is to run test internet on the orbi web page.

Here are some notes i have found:

• ping works from every device to an ip adress
  • ping DOES NOT work to DNS name as DNS cannot be resolved, i am using nslookup.
  • I can telnet into the orbi, run nslookup and it DOES work
  • I do use Circle
  • this strated happending in the past 2 months, more now that i am on 2.5.1.8.
  • I correct the issue by running test on the internet setup page.
  • If i have a device with manual DNS, no issues.
  • I've been watching the debug page and have not been able to attribute high cpu to issue.
  • I am logged into router via telnet, looked at many log messages and have not found any errors, where should I look.

Here is what is running on router regarding dnsmasq:

ps |grep dns

9137 root      2364 S    aclhijackdns

9787 root      2412 S    /usr/sbin/ntgrddns -c /tmp/ntgrdns.conf

22492 root      2616 S    dnsmasq -h -n -c 0 -N -i br0 -r /tmp/resolv.conf -u

22768 root      1216 S    /mnt/circle/shares/usr/bin/mdnsd 172.16.5.1 FE80::C0

22794 root       888 S    runsv dnsmasq

22800 root      2972 S    /mnt/circle/shares/usr/bin/dnsmasq -k --max-ttl=1 --

26368 root      1568 S    grep dns

26369 root      1572 S    /bin/sh -c /usr/sbin/dns-hijack

26370 root      1572 S    {dns-hijack} /bin/sh /usr/sbin/dns-hijack

26372 root      1564 R    killall -SIGUSR2 dnsmasq

@netgear Please help!

Message 32 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

Does using default DNS or letting the RBR auto detect and use DNS keep the DNS running for your devices. Try quad 9?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update and use auto DNS? 

Circle has been know to cause problems as well. Try a reset and setup from scratch with out any Armor or Circle.

If any of these fail to resolve anything, please file a support ticket here:

@iamkeyman3 wrote:

I want to echo @tcomp post as I too am an IT professional and have done extensive testing.  The problem IS in DNS resolution.  Obviously, a reboot does fix the issue, but then it takes time for the satellites to re-sync.  The solution 100% of the time is to run test internet on the orbi web page.

Here are some notes i have found:

• ping works from every device to an ip adress
  • ping DOES NOT work to DNS name as DNS cannot be resolved, i am using nslookup.
  • I can telnet into the orbi, run nslookup and it DOES work
  • I do use Circle
  • this strated happending in the past 2 months, more now that i am on 2.5.1.8.
  • I correct the issue by running test on the internet setup page.
  • If i have a device with manual DNS, no issues.
  • I've been watching the debug page and have not been able to attribute high cpu to issue.
  • I am logged into router via telnet, looked at many log messages and have not found any errors, where should I look.

Here is what is running on router regarding dnsmasq:

ps |grep dns

9137 root      2364 S    aclhijackdns

9787 root      2412 S    /usr/sbin/ntgrddns -c /tmp/ntgrdns.conf

22492 root      2616 S    dnsmasq -h -n -c 0 -N -i br0 -r /tmp/resolv.conf -u

22768 root      1216 S    /mnt/circle/shares/usr/bin/mdnsd 172.16.5.1 FE80::C0

22794 root       888 S    runsv dnsmasq

22800 root      2972 S    /mnt/circle/shares/usr/bin/dnsmasq -k --max-ttl=1 --

26368 root      1568 S    grep dns

26369 root      1572 S    /bin/sh -c /usr/sbin/dns-hijack

26370 root      1572 S    {dns-hijack} /bin/sh /usr/sbin/dns-hijack

26372 root      1564 R    killall -SIGUSR2 dnsmasq

@netgear Please help!

Message 33 of 94
milenkojmb
Guide

I can confirm this issue as well. Same symptoms, same firmware. Also IT engineer by trade. All lan devices that look to the orbis for DNS fail to resolve an nslookup. If I manually set the DNS on the Orbi to 1.1.1.1, laptop1 to my Orbi for DNS and laptop2 to 1.1.1.1. I then wait for the issue to occur... Sometimes multiple times per day. Laptop1 stops resolving IPs, laptop2 continues working without issue. The Orbi says it's connected and never shows sign of any issue in the web interface. This has become increasingly frustrating. Testing the connection from the web interface fixes it.
Message 34 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

@milenkojmb wrote:
I can confirm this issue as well. Same symptoms, same firmware. Also IT engineer by trade. All lan devices that look to the orbis for DNS fail to resolve an nslookup. If I manually set the DNS on the Orbi to 1.1.1.1, laptop1 to my Orbi for DNS and laptop2 to 1.1.1.1. I then wait for the issue to occur... Sometimes multiple times per day. Laptop1 stops resolving IPs, laptop2 continues working without issue. The Orbi says it's connected and never shows sign of any issue in the web interface. This has become increasingly frustrating. Testing the connection from the web interface fixes it.

Message 35 of 94
daverichard4
Guide

According to SymonB's post on 2019-09-16 07:58 AM, a full factory reset does not resolve the problem with DNS.  I like several others have troubleshot and come to the same conclusion that there is a problem with DNS on the router.  Can someone from Netgear development acknowledge the issue and get it fixed, please.  With lots of us working from home due to the Coronavirus, our home internet systems are of utmost importance.  I will be logging an actual support ticket with Netgeat if I even can.  Not sure if they will allow that since I am out of warranty though.

Message 36 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

According to this post, reset seems to resolve the DNS issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-Internet-outage-DNS-issue/m-p/1881623/highlight/true#M86...

Something to try and see if it works for you. If not, then you'll need to submit a support ticket and let NG know of your problems:

Also revert back to last working FW version if nothing seems to work for you. 

@daverichard4 wrote:

According to SymonB's post on 2019-09-16 07:58 AM, a full factory reset does not resolve the problem with DNS.  I like several others have troubleshot and come to the same conclusion that there is a problem with DNS on the router.  Can someone from Netgear development acknowledge the issue and get it fixed, please.  With lots of us working from home due to the Coronavirus, our home internet systems are of utmost importance.  I will be logging an actual support ticket with Netgeat if I even can.  Not sure if they will allow that since I am out of warranty though.

Message 37 of 94
daverichard4
Guide

Thanks Furry, but that guys problem looks different and appeared to be on just his wireless and also involved certificate issues which I am not having.  Also that guys problem was not cleared up by rebooting.  My problem ocurrs on both wireless and wired devices and does clear up with a reboot or clicking the "Test" button on the "Internet" page of the Orbi gui....as others have mentioned.  But I suspect that Netgear support is going to ask me to do a factory reset anyway.  So here goes....factory reset and wait for problem to happen again.  Thanks again!

Message 38 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

Please power OFF the isp modem for 30 seconds the back ON as well. 

@daverichard4 wrote:

Thanks Furry, but that guys problem looks different and appeared to be on just his wireless and also involved certificate issues which I am not having.  Also that guys problem was not cleared up by rebooting.  My problem ocurrs on both wireless and wired devices and does clear up with a reboot or clicking the "Test" button on the "Internet" page of the Orbi gui....as others have mentioned.  But I suspect that Netgear support is going to ask me to do a factory reset anyway.  So here goes....factory reset and wait for problem to happen again.  Thanks again!

Message 39 of 94
daverichard4
Guide

Dont have any cable modem.  I have fiber right to the house.

Message 40 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

There should be a ONT some place unless the ISP keeps this elsewhere. 

@daverichard4 wrote:

Dont have any cable modem.  I have fiber right to the house.

Message 41 of 94
computersteve
Apprentice

I too have the DNS problem. Please @netgear fix this. A lot of people use the Orbi system.
Message 42 of 94
milenkojmb
Guide

Update... I changed the DNS from statically assigned on the Orbi to dynamic and rebooted. Within the next 24 hours, the issue still occurred 3 times. Each time just going to the web interface and clicking test resolves the issue. I just performed a factory reset on both the Orbi router and both satellites and set up again from scratch. I will report back with findings.
Message 43 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you find out. 

Be sure not to enable any Circle or Armor features...

@milenkojmb wrote:
Update... I changed the DNS from statically assigned on the Orbi to dynamic and rebooted. Within the next 24 hours, the issue still occurred 3 times. Each time just going to the web interface and clicking test resolves the issue. I just performed a factory reset on both the Orbi router and both satellites and set up again from scratch. I will report back with findings.

Message 44 of 94
milenkojmb
Guide

So far, so good. I have left the DNS at default dynamic for now after the factory reset. No issues so far.

Comcast modem is a Technicolor CGM4140COM.
Message 45 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

Yor modem seems to be a gateway modem, thus having a built in router and wifi. Is thie modem fully bridged? 

Glad it's working better. Hopefully this is just a Circle app issue causing this problem. 

@milenkojmb wrote:
So far, so good. I have left the DNS at default dynamic for now after the factory reset. No issues so far.

Comcast modem is a Technicolor CGM4140COM.

Message 46 of 94
milenkojmb
Guide

Yes, the modem is in bridge mode. I did not reenable circle or armor.
Message 47 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just making sure. Let us know how it goes over the next few days. If you think this is a Circle or Armor related issue, please post about it in there perspective forums. 

@milenkojmb wrote:
Yes, the modem is in bridge mode. I did not reenable circle or armor.

Message 48 of 94
milenkojmb
Guide

Interestingly while I was troubleshooting, I found that clicking the test button interrupted a video stream on a working device that was already in progress. It seems like clicking the test button either detects an issue and restarts something to resolve it, or it just restarts the services on the Orbi.
Message 49 of 94
FURRYe38
Guru

I would presume it temporarily interrupts services to acurrately test DNS services. 

Message 50 of 94
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7