Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 DNS Not responding in the last 2 days

swansora
Follower

RBR50 DNS Not responding in the last 2 days

The Orbi DNS Server has stoped responding periodicaly.  A reboot solves the issue for a couple of hours but then the issue reappears.  If I set the DNS servers manually on my machines to my ISP or the Google public DNS (vs 192.168.1.1 the orbi) the issue is resolved.  There has been no notable change recently.  Added 3 deviced over a week ago but issue only surfaced two days ago.  Any thoughts?  I am on the latest FW 2.7.2.104.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 DNS Not responding in the last 2 days

@swansora wrote:

The Orbi DNS Server has stoped responding periodicaly.  A reboot solves the issue for a couple of hours but then the issue reappears.  If I set the DNS servers manually on my machines to my ISP or the Google public DNS (vs 192.168.1.1 the orbi) the issue is resolved.  There has been no notable change recently.  Added 3 deviced over a week ago but issue only surfaced two days ago.  Any thoughts?  I am on the latest FW 2.7.2.104.

There are several extensive discussions about this issue.  Mine was doing the same thing, but has now stabilized (23 hours without a reboot). Check out this post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DNS-and-DHCP-and-NTP-Broken/m-p/2071293#M116749 

Is it still happening?

Message 2 of 6
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

@swansora wrote:

I am on the latest FW 2.7.2.104.

There are several extensive discussions about this issue.  Mine was doing the same thing, but has now stabilized (23 hours without a reboot). Check out this post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DNS-and-DHCP-and-NTP-Broken/m-p/2071293#M116749 

Is it still happening?

Do I need to comment for it looks like you have this under control.

Message 3 of 6
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @swansora

Engineering has determined that the issue is caused by the Traffic Meter. The quick workaround is to disable the traffic meter.

To disable traffic meter:
Access orbilogin.com > go to ADVANCED Tab > Advanced Setup > Traffic Meter and uncheck Traffic Meter

Engineers are working on a firmware fix to be released.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 4 of 6
MrBurntPancake
Aspirant

Its' 2022, I'm on V2.7.3.22, and have exactly the same behaviour. ORBI RBR50 DNS Server temporarily stops working, and all my devices start reporting they're "Connected without Internet". When I manually configure DNS to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 on my machines, everything starts working perfectly.

I had Traffic Meter enabled, and of course I'm disabling it right away, but how long do your Engineers going to keep working on this? It's been over a year since this was posted! 😄

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@MrBurntPancake wrote:

I had Traffic Meter enabled, and of course I'm disabling it right away, but how long do your Engineers going to keep working on this? It's been over a year since this was posted! 😄

It is not always a good idea to 'continue' a discussion that is over a year old.  The discussion in March, 2021 was about a programming error in the Traffic Meter feature that was triggered by Daylight Saving Time.  By April, 2021, the condition disappeared and it was corrected in a firmware release in summer of 2021.  It did not reoccur when Daylight Saving Time went into effect this year (2022), so the engineers did in fact "fix it".

Whatever is happening to your RBR50 system now has some other cause.

Have you tried setting the router to use Google DNS? (on the web administration, Internet menu)?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7