Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Drops Connectivity and keeps rebooting - very unstable

ff69
Aspirant

RBR50 Drops Connectivity and keeps rebooting - very unstable

RBR50v2 connected to a SB8200 Modem. 

Device configured with 1 satellite. 5 Wired connected PC and devices (ROKU). 3 5GHz wireless devices and 2 2.4 GHz (Thermostat Honeywell and Ring)

Main Router keeps rebooting at random several times a day - cut all internet access and restart. 

Tried many things. Everything the same. It just stops the connection to the internet and reboot/restart. 

Of course all my conferences stops and internet access is suspended. 

Did all kinds of things following the numerous posts on this forum. Nothing changes. My previous router never dropped connexion once. What is the point really. Very close to returning this monumental waste of my time and resources. 

Perf is good when it is on. 

There are other users on 2.4 GHz channels. Tried to select specific channel but that does not fix it. 

Any suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Drops Connectivity and keeps rebooting - very unstable

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 11
ff69
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
V2.5.1.16

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Other side of the House, one level below (so at least 40ft)

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Currently Manual on 2.4GHz = 11(P)+ 7(S)

5G Channel 36+40+44+48(P)

Lots of wifi neighbors but spread  1-2 per channel (27 different signals detected)

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
WMM enabled on both 2.4 and 5 GHz

Beanforming enabled

MIMO -> Set to Enabled

Preamble -> Reset to short on both

CTS/RTS is 2341 0n 2.4

CTS/RTS is 2345 on 5

Has Power at 50% on 2.4 ->100%

No Armor

No Daisy Chain

No Fast Roaming

No IPv6

No coexistence

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CM1100>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16 and Orbi RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK852, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111

Rebooting...

Model: CATRBR50-100NAS|Orbi Premium CAT5e Flat Ethernet Cable
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 4 of 11
ff69
Aspirant

Rebooted.  

Satellite repositioned and now Blue - (instead of Magenta) - show online on the phone app

All devices properly connected. 

So far connection status show 13:38 up time. So no apparent drop since reboot. 

Also Telnet a different value before for the lease length - 86400 -> 1200

Message 5 of 11
ff69
Aspirant

Just got a impromptu reboot when submitting response. So duration was about 15min. 

Message 6 of 11
ff69
Aspirant

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

No

Message 7 of 11
ff69
Aspirant

Still rebooting unprompted at about 20min mark

Message 8 of 11
Problems-123
Tutor

Hello,

I'm sorry, but I have no answers: Only sympathy.

I have an RBR50 base unit that's exhibiting a similar problem. It has the most recent firmware V2.5.1.16. It's connected to a Fios Quantum Gateway G1100 modem. Until last night, I was using the modem in AP mode and changed all the same settings you tried changing.

When I first got the Orbi I had an RBR50 with two RBS50 routers. The base (RBR50) was in the basement of our home, and I put one RBS50 on each of the two stories of the home. After being told on this forum that the satellites were too close together and causing the problem, I have stopped using both satellites. Now the benefit of the mesh network and speed throughout the home is lost.

Since I have owned the router, once a day or so the router "disappears". All devices connected to it by Wi-Fi or hardwired lose connectivity and the RBR50 begins flashing slow white. This is the same behavior that occurs when intentionally restarting/rebooting the RBR50. It takes two to five minutes, and then the RBR 50 acts fine for another 18 to 28 hours before randomly rebooting again.

Before March, this was fine. Rarely was I doing much with the Internet when this happened. Occasionally it would interrupt a movie or TV show, but that was rare. It would happen when I was at work or overnight. Now, I am home ALL THE TIME and using the internet for work ten hours a day. It's no longer O.K.

Last night I spent over an hour on the phone with Netgear support. We performed a reset of the RBR50 and afterwards, the phone disconnected, and I was stranded without internet. So, I called Netgear back and after another hour on the phone had internet but was back to all factory default settings and operating as a router rather than an access point.

Any firmware update seems to make the network stable for 3 to 5 days (maybe it will again this time). After that time, the daily, random rebooting starts again. I have been through this with their service and tech support people here (in the community), by chat, or by telephone a half dozen times, and no solution has been permanent.

It's conceivable that a billion-dollar computer products company would create a product that isn't compatible with a very popular modem used by the most popular home fiber provider, but that seems short sighted and something fixable during one of the firmware updates issued by the company. It's also conceivable that this large company would create incompatible bases and satellites and sell them together in the same box. Both of those, however, seem unlikely. I think the more likely scenario is that there's a hardware issue plaguing the RBR50 -- at least a small number of these devices.

I apologize for not having a solution, but I hope that by sharing this it helps the company or community find an answer or begin to replace the units.

Message 9 of 11
ff69
Aspirant

It is apparent to me that there is no solution to this expensive proposition to have this ORBI work properly. It totally blows my mind that such an expensive piece would not work for such a basic functionality.

This thing is going back. Done with NetGear. 

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Please factory reset the system and setup from scratch since you haven't done this. 

You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

@ff69 wrote:

It is apparent to me that there is no solution to this expensive proposition to have this ORBI work properly. It totally blows my mind that such an expensive piece would not work for such a basic functionality.

This thing is going back. Done with NetGear. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7