Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - Internet drops same time every night

aslot123
Aspirant

RBR50 - Internet drops same time every night

For the last couple of weeks, the internet has dropped at the same time every night (9:42p). The router pulses magenta during the downtime and the internet generally returns a few minutes later.

This is incredibly frustrating and my limited router knowledge has not been able to uncover a solution.

I'm not 100% sure, but believe this may have started after updating the firrmware to the latest version (V2.7.0.70).

Can anyone help me? The support on this product expired a long time ago and spending at least $90 to purchase a new support contract with Netgear seems outrageous, when I can use that money to get a new system instead (which maybe I should consider).

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
vajim
Master

I suspect it's your firmware 

you may want to revert back 

@aslot123 wrote:

For the last couple of weeks, the internet has dropped at the same time every night (9:42p). The router pulses magenta during the downtime and the internet generally returns a few minutes later.

This is incredibly frustrating and my limited router knowledge has not been able to uncover a solution.

I'm not 100% sure, but believe this may have started after updating the firrmware to the latest version (V2.7.0.70).

Can anyone help me? The support on this product expired a long time ago and spending at least $90 to purchase a new support contract with Netgear seems outrageous, when I can use that money to get a new system instead (which maybe I should consider).

Message 2 of 5
aslot123
Aspirant

How do I revert?

@vajim wrote:

I suspect it's your firmware 

you may want to revert back 

@aslot123 wrote:

Message 3 of 5
vajim
Master

go to download here and enter your model number.  play close attnetion to the available firmware and the sequence of how the reversion is performed.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@aslot123 wrote:

How do I revert?

"Going back" to a previous firmware release is a manual process that is more tedious than simply clicking a link on a web page.  Basically, the idea is this: (a) download the desired firmware version from the Netgear support site, (b) unpack the "img" file from the "zip" file, and (c) manually upload the "img" file to the Orbi.  These are the steps:

• First, use the Orbi web interface to make a copy of the Orbi configuration (in case something "goes horribly wrong"):
    Log into the Orbi web interface and navigate to the Advanced Tab, Administration, Backup Settings and "Save" the configuration to your computer.
  • On the web navigate to the Netgear support site: https://www.netgear.com/support/ 
  • Enter the Orbi model number (such as RBR50) and press <Enter>
  • Click on "Downloads"
  • Click on the Plus Sign (+) to display the list of previous firmware releases.
  • Select which release is wanted and click on it.
  • Click on "Release Notes"
  • On the firmware page, click on the links to download firmware for the router (and satellites)
    If satellites are not the same model number as the router, perform the same steps to get the desired firmware for the satellites.
  • Once the firmware "zip" files are downloaded, unpack them to extract the "img" files for the router and satellites
    Make a careful note of where the firmware files are so you can find them when needed. (I often extract them to the desktop).
  • Change the satellite firmware first (for as many satellites as there are), i.e.
  • Log into the satellite web page using the satellite IP address (http://<IP of satellite>) with the Orbi admin credentials
  • Select the bottom menu item, "FIrmware Update" and follow the directions.
  • After all satellites are updated, log into the Orbi router web interface
  • Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Administration, Firmware Update and click on the "Manual Update" tab
  • Follow the directions to Browse to the firmware file and upload it.
  • After the file is updated, the router will restart (takes a loooong time) and "voila", you are DONE.
  • If the result is a "horrible disaster", you can perform a Factory Reset and restore that configuration file that was saved in step one.

If this sudden "dies at 9:42 every night" was caused by a firmware update, then perhaps "reverting" to a previous firmware will fix it.

Just personally,  I would wonder (a) did it start immediately, or later, and (b) what is special about 9:42p?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7